Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open/WGC 2020

• 29-07-2019 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8 Mr Wood

Hi, 1st time poster. Love reading the the thread. Looks like the usual date of the Irish open, 2 weeks before the Open itself, has been allocated to the WGC Memphis because of the Olympics. What will this mean for the Irish Open scheduling do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭roverjoyce

Will be pushed to September around Wentworth to make 2 Rolex Series together which will make up the final 2 rounds of qualifying for the Ryder Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

roverjoyce wrote: »
    Will be pushed to September around Wentworth to make 2 Rolex Series together which will make up the final 2 rounds of qualifying for the Ryder Cup

Could be a great shout in fairness. FedEx playoffs finish at the very end of August and the Ryder cup is not on until the 25th of September. Have Irish open as second last qualifying event followed by wentworth then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Another bonus of the move to September would be not pushing to have it played on a links course in preparation for The Open. Ireland has a lot more to offer than just links golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

HighLine wrote: »
    Another bonus of the move to September would be not pushing to have it played on a links course in preparation for The Open. Ireland has a lot more to offer than just links golf.

Not sure we do. None of our parklands are anything special really. Adare Manor may have pushed the envelope a bit but our links courses is what sets us apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Not sure we do. None of our parklands are anything special really. Adare Manor may have pushed the envelope a bit but our links courses is what sets us apart.

Adare Manor is a special parkland. But there is also the K Club, Mount Juliet, Carton House, Fota Island, Killarney. all parkland courses that are more than capable of an Irish Open

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

None of our parklands are anything special? :D

It looks like thankfully the European Tour might be thinking otherwise...

Tour visits Mount Juliet as Memphis WGC moves to Irish Open date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

HighLine wrote: »
    None of our parklands are anything special? :D

It looks like thankfully the European Tour might be thinking otherwise...

Tour visits Mount Juliet as Memphis WGC moves to Irish Open date

Don't get me wrong, MJ is a nice course, but being chosen to stage an event doesn't make a course in anyways special. The parkland courses we have are inferior to what England, France, U.S. have etc. Our top links courses on the other hand are not. How many of our parklands appear in the worlds top 100 courses. Granted rankings are not the be all and end all but I really do think we should be staging the Irish Open on our links courses. Money talks however and the players feel the same - they don't give a damn where they play if the money is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I think there's a perception that being on a links stops the more Americans coming over. It's well known that the majority of them don't like it. They'll be all over for the pro am next year in Adare.

I don't think a course needs to be fantastic to hold an event, just needs to be well setup/organized and good facilities put in place. We've plenty of parkland courses capable of holding an Irish Open.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

From a marketing perspective Irish Opens should be on links courses the vast majority of time.
    Countries overseas are littered with great parkland courses so there's nothing to draw their interest to Ireland if the Irish Open is on just another parkland.
    We have about a third of the links courses in the world (no personal evidence but a gague I've seen a lot) and we want to be advisertising our USP outside the island.
    I've played most of our links and often with overseas visitors, mostly Yanks, every one of them came to Ireland to play links, not one of them played any of our parkland.
    Capability to hold the Irish Open is not a valid reason to hold the Irish Open, it needs to feed back into the economy and Links is the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Personally I reckon the PGA are thinking short term profits over longer term public interest.

Does anyone really want to watch Koepka and Johnson continually turn identikit championship parklands - all with the same stimp reading, absence of undulations, pretend doglegs and peripheral hazards - into pitch and putt courses?

WGC events will only continue to attract the hefty sponsorship levels required, if people are turning up and tuning in. The most recent one was just another middle of the road, absolutely forgettable PGA tour event in my eyes.

Whereas a defined links series - England, Ireland, Scotland, Open Championship - for a month each year, breaks this monotonous and can only improve (I may be wrong lol) audience interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Have to say I always enjoyed the challenge of Mount Juliet. Burger is also top notch on the 10th....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jody Smoke

thewobbler wrote: »
    Personally I reckon the PGA are thinking short term profits over longer term public interest.

Does anyone really want to watch Koepka and Johnson continually turn identikit championship parklands - all with the same stimp reading, absence of undulations, pretend doglegs and peripheral hazards - into pitch and putt courses?

WGC events will only continue to attract the hefty sponsorship levels required, if people are turning up and tuning in. The most recent one was just another middle of the road, absolutely forgettable PGA tour event in my eyes.

Whereas a defined links series - England, Ireland, Scotland, Open Championship - for a month each year, breaks this monotonous and can only improve (I may be wrong lol) audience interest.

The PGA tour is a television show, the courses selected for use on it are probably selected for the value they provide for TV as much as how good they are.

I'd argue that for the casual viewer a really nice looking parkland golf course is much more aesthetically pleasing than any other type of course, there is a reason why the Masters gets the best television audiences of all 4 majors.

When I started watching golf on TV the Open was by far my least favourite of the 4 majors because it didn't look as nice on TV as the other 3. Now I love it but years back I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,779 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Jody Smoke wrote: »
    The PGA tour is a television show, the courses selected for use on it are probably selected for the value they provide for TV as much as how good they are.

I'd argue that for the casual viewer a really nice looking parkland golf course is much more aesthetically pleasing than any other type of course, there is a reason why the Masters gets the best television audiences of all 4 majors.

When I started watching golf on TV the Open was by far my least favourite of the 4 majors because it didn't look as nice on TV as the other 3. Now I love it but years back I didn't.

Jody blowing smoke there.

I’d argue that you are wrong in all of your reasonings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jody Smoke

Seve OB wrote: »

Thats one hell of a counter argument you make there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I'd argue Jody isn't far off the mark actually. Especially this "I'd argue that for the casual viewer a really nice looking parkland golf course is much more aesthetically pleasing than any other type of course, there is a reason why the Masters gets the best television audiences of all 4 majors."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

GMac named host for 2020 and 2021, also strong rumors that Portstewart will host in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,779 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

NDWC wrote: »
    GMac named host for 2020 and 2021, also strong rumors that Portstewart will host in 2021.

Rumours? Pretty sure it was confirmed

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/50596351

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Rumours? Pretty sure it was confirmed

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/50596351

Sounds like a done deal so, good decision, it's a great course.

It'd be good to see the wind blow a bit next time, from what I recall it was flat calm and they ripped it to shreds in 2017, Rahm was 24 under or something mad like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jon Rahm confirmed, will be interesting to see how he adapts to an Irish parkland.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Jon Rahm confirmed, will be interesting to see how he adapts to an Irish parkland.

What do you mean by that? Irish parklands different to any other parkland course in the world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    What do you mean by that? Irish parklands different to any other parkland course in the world?

Probably just means that Rahm's Irish Open wins have come on links courses and if the dominance will continue on parkland(s).

• 100 days to go from today and they flagged a big announcement at 5pm. The anticipation as to who would be playing was building throughout the day when finally the announcement was made.....

Paul O'Connell is playing in the pro am.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

100 days to go from today and they flagged a big announcement at 5pm. The anticipation as to who would be playing was building throughout the day when finally the announcement was made.....

Paul O'Connell is playing in the pro am.

That announcement was an embarrassment.

• poteen wrote: »
    That announcement was an embarrassment.

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

Irish open suppose to be in mount Juliet this week.

Such great weather it’s a pity not on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Trampas wrote: »
    Irish open suppose to be in mount Juliet this week.

Such great weather it’s a pity not on

Would have been absolutely glorious. Pity it's not on.

Advertisement