Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Installer for Honeywell EVOHome

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

I contacted electric Ireland seeking a quotation for the evoHome.
    As stated, a 4 bedroom bedroom, underfloor heating downstairs with 4 zones and 5 rands upstairs! everything else not worth mentioning. Guy ('engineer') quoted us 3200 euro for supply and fit! Exorbitant

• Registered Users Posts: 35 romuse

Sorry Stoner ... wont happen again

Hi,
    Could you PM me the contact details of the installer?

Initially I was going with Electric Ireland and asked them for a quote for a system with 10 radiators and the answer was 2600 ..no grant as my home was newly build....

• Registered Users Posts: 35 romuse

beanian wrote: »
    I was quoted €1300 for an 8 Zone system for fit & supply. That was through Electric Ireland so there was rebates and SEAI grants built into that quote.
    The same company quoted €600 for fit only of an 8 zone system

My house is build 2015 so guess no grant...when I called electric Ireland for 10 radiators they told me 2600!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

I would be interested in any installer you found around Cork and your experiences.
    I was quoted €1800 after grants for 13 rads and hot water by EI. They really didn't exactly fill me with confidence. Just didn't seem interested as someone stated above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

I would be interested in any installer you found around Cork and your experiences.
    I was quoted €1800 after grants for 13 rads and hot water by EI. They really didn't exactly fill me with confidence. Just didn't seem interested as someone stated above.

But the 13 TRVs must be the guts of €1000 on their own, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Soarer wrote: »
    But the 13 TRVs must be the guts of €1000 on their own, no?

Yes. Think it worked out as £1150 for all the hardware including valves when I looked at buying it myself. So they were charging ~€500 plus the grant for installation. Probably a decent days work as all the valves would need replacing but still not exactly cheap.
    What put me off was they didn't ask anything except number of rads and age of the house and threw a figure out there. What if I already had manual trv on some of the rads or the rads are not all 15mm both of which I have and may affect the price. Not saying I won't use them but I would rather talk to a plumber or someone who knows more than me.
    I'll see what the sales are like around Black Friday. That might help the decision.

Yes. Think it worked out as £1150 for all the hardware including valves when I looked at buying it myself. So they were charging ~€500 plus the grant for installation. Probably a decent days work as all the valves would need replacing but still not exactly cheap.
    What put me off was they didn't ask anything except number of rads and age of the house and threw a figure out there. What if I already had manual trv on some of the rads or the rads are not all 15mm both of which I have and may affect the price. Not saying I won't use them but I would rather talk to a plumber or someone who knows more than me.
    I'll see what the sales are like around Black Friday. That might help the decision.

We have 5 rads, 4 underfloor heating zones, hot water and the standard bits and pieces and the hardware seems to cost some 1.200 pounds but installation seems to hover around the 1K mark.
    Does anyone who has the system know if single zone wall mounted thermostats need to be installed? My thinking is that the temps can be controlled from the central controller...

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

regedit wrote: »
    We have 5 rads, 4 underfloor heating zones, hot water and the standard bits and pieces and the hardware seems to cost some 1.200 pounds but installation seems to hover around the 1K mark.
    Does anyone who has the system know if single zone wall mounted thermostats need to be installed? My thinking is that the temps can be controlled from the central controller...

Each Zone needs to have a temp sensor installed

the controller can act as a thermostat for one zone which would be the Zone where it is placed as it has a temp sensor built in

on Rads you have a HR92 valve which can act as thermostat for its zone as it has a temp sensor which relays current temp back to controller and based on that controller decides if Zone needs heat or not and opens or closes HR92 so HR92 is combined actuator and sensor

Underfloor Heating zones will need a wall mounted stat Either DTS 92 or t87rf

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

xl500 wrote: »
    Each Zone needs to have a temp sensor installed

the controller can act as a thermostat for one zone which would be the Zone where it is placed as it has a temp sensor built in

on Rads you have a HR92 valve which can act as thermostat for its zone as it has a temp sensor which relays current temp back to controller and based on that controller decides if Zone needs heat or not and opens or closes HR92 so HR92 is combined actuator and sensor

Underfloor Heating zones will need a wall mounted stat Either DTS 92 or t87rf

For larger spaces you can also have a wall mounted wireless stat. I've 4 rads in my kitchen so have a wall stat to regulate temp in the whole room.

One of these : https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/honeywell-evohome/78-honeywell-t87rf2033-single-zone-thermostat-only.html

Not as pretty as the Nest but same functionality!

garion wrote: »
    For larger spaces you can also have a wall mounted wireless stat. I've 4 rads in my kitchen so have a wall stat to regulate temp in the whole room.

One of these : https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/honeywell-evohome/78-honeywell-t87rf2033-single-zone-thermostat-only.html

Not as pretty as the Nest but same functionality!

Got it.
    Thanks both. So when HR92 are fitted, the installer can simply disconnect the current thermostats we have in our rooms which are very poor quality... and clearly for UF heating, for each larger zone, probably advisable to fit the T87RF2033 or if looks matter, and money isn't an issue, go for T6R-HW...

• Advertisement

regedit wrote: »
    Got it.
    Thanks both. So when HR92 are fitted, the installer can simply disconnect the current thermostats we have in our rooms which are very poor quality... and clearly for UF heating, for each larger zone, probably advisable to fit the T87RF2033 or if looks matter, and money isn't an issue, go for T6R-HW...

The HR92 Valves are ok for Temp Regulation but if you really want good control A separate wall Stat is better I have a wall Stat in all my Zones and It works really well but it needs to be left alone to learn the thermal characteristic of each zone
    That last Thermostat you linked as money no object one is not compatible with Evohome System

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pranav_d_patel

Hi, could someone pm me an installers (dublin area) contact details. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

XL500, are you a Honeywell or Ex-Honeywell employee?

Anyone looking at buying the Honeywell kit should watch Amazon Germany. I picked up some very cheap Honeywell kits on there.

Mylow wrote: »

Anyone looking at buying the Honeywell kit should watch Amazon Germany. I picked up some very cheap Honeywell kits on there.[/QUOTE

No just a very satisfied user

but are you From Carlow by any Chance and a Grandfather From Kilbeg
    XL500

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

xl500 wrote: »
    Mylow wrote: »

Anyone looking at buying the Honeywell kit should watch Amazon Germany. I picked up some very cheap Honeywell kits on there.[/QUOTE

No just a very satisfied user

but are you From Carlow by any Chance and a Grandfather From Kilbeg
    XL500

Yes :)

XL500 is also a Honeywell DDC product.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Postman Pat

Hi there - would anyone be able to share their experiences pros and cons since of the Evohome? I have zoned upstairs downstairs (1 zone each) and have hot water. Have a climote at mo with hot water control and crappy danfoss wired temp stats, but looking to swap out and get an Evo home installed with HR92 valves and some wired and wireless stats.

I'm also looking for anyone that knows an installer in the North Dublin/Meath area if possible?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Hi there - would anyone be able to share their experiences pros and cons since of the Evohome? I have zoned upstairs downstairs (1 zone each) and have hot water. Have a climote at mo with hot water control and crappy danfoss wired temp stats, but looking to swap out and get an Evo home installed with HR92 valves and some wired and wireless stats.

I'm also looking for anyone that knows an installer in the North Dublin/Meath area if possible?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I've had EvoHome installed for 3 years now and overall I'm very happy with it. It's an expensive system but the control it gives me was exactly what I was looking for at the time. I have 8 zones + Hot Water installed and it all works well. It integrates with Google Home too although all the functionality is not available (like scheduling & hot water). The EvoHome app is fine although not as modern as it could be.

I have a couple of smart wall stats on larger rooms like the kitchen that control the TRVs installed in that room. Gives a better temperature gauge for larger rooms rather than relying on temp gauge on TRVs themselves.

When I bought mine, other systems like Tado didn't have TRV options. EvoHome was the only system that had TRV level control so I went with it. I'd fully investigate those options before committing.

For installers, I'll PM you a couple to look at.

Hope that helps.

I've had EvoHome installed for 3 years now and overall I'm very happy with it. It's an expensive system but the control it gives me was exactly what I was looking for at the time. I have 8 zones + Hot Water installed and it all works well. It integrates with Google Home too although all the functionality is not available (like scheduling & hot water). The EvoHome app is fine although not as modern as it could be.

I have a couple of smart wall stats on larger rooms like the kitchen that control the TRVs installed in that room. Gives a better temperature gauge for larger rooms rather than relying on temp gauge on TRVs themselves.

When I bought mine, other systems like Tado didn't have TRV options. EvoHome was the only system that had TRV level control so I went with it. I'd fully investigate those options before committing.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the PM and for the feedback. I liked the touch screen controller that comes with the Evo. The rest don't seem to do that. Also I read when the internet is down you lose the central control that the Evo home controller would give you. Also I read some negatives about the Tado if you want multiple zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Newuseruntaken

Thanks for the PM and for the feedback. I liked the touch screen controller that comes with the Evo. The rest don't seem to do that. Also I read when the internet is down you lose the central control that the Evo home controller would give you. Also I read some negatives about the Tado if you want multiple zones.

What are the negatives you read about the tado?

What are the negatives you read about the tado?

Tado themselves told me it cannot replace the Climote system even though from what I read online it would appear it should be able to. I don't have any unusual setup (cold tank in attic, hot cylinder in hot press upstairs, and gas bolier which controls the heating and has a pump to pump hot water around the rads).

I read something about zones that Tado doesn't allow you have multiple rooms/TRVs in one zone or control of multiple individual rooms via the app is not good and and overriding the temperature in rooms on a one off basis is awkward.

Also I read that without internet you have no central control and have to go round to each stat and adjust manually to boost the heat etc.
    I also read they charge for app upgrades should they upgrade the app and features like auto control via geo fencing are under paid subscription.

I don't have a Tado to confirm/deny these cons but maybe others that use it can.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Hope that helps.

Could you PM me the Honeywell installers also please. Need to get a decent system in the house. Thank

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rooster8ooster

Hope that helps.
    Could you also PM me names of Honeywell installers please? Looks like a good alternative to the Nest with no privacy concerns, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 gygabyte

Tado themselves told me it cannot replace the Climote system even though from what I read online it would appear it should be able to. I don't have any unusual setup (cold tank in attic, hot cylinder in hot press upstairs, and gas bolier which controls the heating and has a pump to pump hot water around the rads).

I read something about zones that Tado doesn't allow you have multiple rooms/TRVs in one zone or control of multiple individual rooms via the app is not good and and overriding the temperature in rooms on a one off basis is awkward.

Also I read that without internet you have no central control and have to go round to each stat and adjust manually to boost the heat etc.
    I also read they charge for app upgrades should they upgrade the app and features like auto control via geo fencing are under paid subscription.

I don't have a Tado to confirm/deny these cons but maybe others that use it can.

they might not understand exactly your query. I have Tado and my own setup is like that except I have an oil boiler.

Tado does allow for multiple TRVs in each room/zone. One of the devices will be your measurement device for the zone. the schedules could be a bit better, you cannot copy between rooms and you don't have holiday override. still some of this stuff can be done with IFTTT and I have spent sometime creating some automations.

The rest is pretty accurate. they do charge now 3 euro a month for some of the features like geo fencing but I think it is still worth it. you can always cancel the subscription doing the summer if you don't use heating much

if you are without broadband you do need to change stuff manually around the house, but in reality how many times would one be without broadband? not really a concern if you have a decent connection.

I am quite happy with it, except a few things. the TRVs might not be that accurate for large rooms and you would need to buy extra thermostats to make it spot on accurate. in fairness it is the same for any TRV including evohome or even not smart ones.

evohome is a bit better on this as you can buy cheap thermostats just for that purpose, but Tado you need to buy a full fledged one which are a bit expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 muckyba

Hi,

Would be grateful if someone could PM me contact details for Evohome installers please.
    Based in Cork so looking for someone relatively local.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dmirog

Also looking for EvoHome installers in Dublin area. Have the kit ready to go. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

I'd also love some PM's with Installer names, Bray/South Dublin based.

we finally decided to proceed with the installation of Honeywell Evohome system. My plan was to purchase the hardware for the installation on amazon or other vendors online. For our 4B house, we need and UFH controller, 5 THR092HRT, rads controller heads, 1 hot water kit (ATF500DHW), 5 Y87RF2024 thermostats and the wifi connect pack.
    Straight forward enough.
    Last year I got a quotation for supply and fit and the electric Ireland provided details of an instalelr who quoted us +3000 euro. Thought that was crazy as the above kit can be purchased online for 1300 pounds.
    A kind boardster provided me the details of a reputable installer and teh quote arrived today. They did not do fit only but both supply and fit. Their quote was for 5334 Euro! Shocking Roughly 4000 euro for installing!

Itemised: Supply & Fit Honeywell Evohome System which will control 4Underfloor Heating Zones, 5 radiators and Hot Water requirements independently through thermostatic control and a Heating Hub Programmer with remote access.

Heating Control System to include the following:
    1 Magna cleanse rapid flush
    1 Chemical heating protector
    1 Honeywell Evohome digital Heating Controller with Remote Access and Underfloor Controller
    1 Honeywell Evohome Hot Water Kit
    5 Honeywell Evohome Radiator Controllers
    5 Thermostatic Radiator Valves
    1 Electric Motorised Valve
    1 Cylinder Thermostat
    1 immersion timer
    All associated pipe work and fittings

One would think that at this time, installers would be more rational but, clearly not the case. Need to continue looking

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ggt657

Folks,

I'm also looking for details of an Evo installer (South Dublin - Dublin 12). If anyone could PM me details that would be appreciated.

I did get a quote from Electric Ireland but it was €2,300 for basic + 8 rads. I've actually had that same guy do some (good) work on my house in the past so I know he's not the right peron to talk details about Evo installs. He also didn't ask any of the right questions to come up with anything other than a fairly generic quote over the phone. I know the kit is not cheap but I can't understand how that istallation part of the quote is justified given my house.

Cheers - Gav.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 corkjetdriver

Hi All

Looking at getting the Honeywell Evo installed.
    Quote Dec ‘19 €1610 and July ‘20 €2650

Seems crazy such an increase-anyone have any suggestions on either getting this system cheaper or purchasing the parts separately. Open to all and any suggestions.

• Advertisement

Hi All

Looking at getting the Honeywell Evo installed.
    Quote Dec ‘19 €1610 and July ‘20 €2650

Seems crazy such an increase-anyone have any suggestions on either getting this system cheaper or purchasing the parts separately. Open to all and any suggestions.

we got the kit from the evohomeshop recently and in the process of getting a competent installer who wont charge crazy bucks. The margin of profit installers add is crazy. I can understand charing 600-100 for an all day job but anything above 1000 for installation is crazy

Advertisement