Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission for extending turf shed

• 26-05-2020 8:22pm

Do i need planning permission to extend out the back of an old turf shed that came with the planning permission when we built the house?
    I am plannning on putting a new roof on the old shed and extend it out,not more then 25m2 at the back of it.
    The shed is located in front of our house,and the shed is facing the main road.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Do i need planning permission to extend out the back of an old turf shed that came with the planning permission when we built the house?
    I am plannning on putting a new roof on the old shed and extend it out,not more then 25m2 at the back of it.
    The shed is located in front of our house,and the shed is facing the main road.

Yes you do.

The total area of any shed, including those already granted permissions, cannot exceed 25sq m before new permission is required

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Yes you do.

The total area of any shed, including those already granted permissions, cannot exceed 25sq m before new permission is required

The shed we took over when we built the house is over 25m2,it was built in the 70s.
    Its a shed used for turf for the whole family,since we took over the property from my missus dad.
    And it will be two different sheds,only built together,one for turf and one for storage,with a door seperating them.
    As i understand by the planning regulations,since we allready have been granted permission for one,it shouldnt effect us building another as long as it leaves the surroundings/lawns with atlest 25m2.
    We live on a 2 acre site.
    Maybe i am wrong,but thats how i understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭spitonmedickie

It being in the front might mean it's not exempt anyway and it doesn't matter the original shed has planning. As per the regs "The total area of such structures constructed, erected or placed within the curtilage of a house shall not, taken
    together with any other such structures previously constructed, erected or placed within the said curtilage, exceed 25 square metres."

As per the reply above it means if you'd have more than 25 sq m of shed you lose the exemption.

It being in the front might mean it's not exempt anyway and it doesn't matter the original shed has planning. As per the regs "The total area of such structures constructed, erected or placed within the curtilage of a house shall not, taken
    together with any other such structures previously constructed, erected or placed within the said curtilage, exceed 25 square metres."

As per the reply above it means if you'd have more than 25 sq m of shed you lose the exemption.

Does this also mean a shed that was there before we even got planning for our house?
    Thats what doesnt make sense to me.
    The shed was allready in place when we got planning permission,the last planning permission for the shed was in the 70s.
    I do get the placed in front part but this mean i have to apply for planning even if its behind the house?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If it was built in the 70s then yes it is inclusive in the total area and yes you need permission once the total area of sheds exceeds 25sq m.

Thems the rules.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If it was built in the 70s then yes it is inclusive in the total area and yes you need permission once the total area of sheds exceeds 25sq m.

Thems the rules.

I guess,thanks for getting back to me.
    I have found another solution,since the excisting shed is allready quite large,ill take my 25 m2 out of that instead while i change the roof.
    I am not going trough the planning muppet show again,lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

If you have your mind made up that you are not going to apply for planning then why did you even ask?

If you have your mind made up that you are not going to apply for planning then why did you even ask?

I didnt before i got the answers,you can read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

What's app the attitude for? You'd want to calm down.

What's app the attitude for? You'd want to calm down.

No offence,just had some rather bad experiences with the planning office in the past.
    And i thought it was stated rather clearly i the answers above why i was doing an extension to the shed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement