Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intent to marry appointment

• 18-05-2020 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all, so we have our intent to marry appointment in mid June. Does anyone know if the offices will be open or what is happening if anything instead?
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

helen87 wrote: »
    Hi all, so we have our intent to marry appointment in mid June. Does anyone know if the offices will be open or what is happening if anything instead?
    TIA

We were due to have it at the end of this month but they phoned and pushed it back to the 10th of June, so it appears they're going ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭rx8

We were supposed to have our one last week, but they phoned me the week before and told me that it wouldn't be going ahead. They sent me a form to complete and scan back to them. The physical appointment will take place in August apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BCG89

Hi,

I was hoping to book appointment for sometime in Sept/Oct - getting married end of March 2021. I can't book online for any date, does anyone know if/when they will begin taking appointments again? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ShortAPennt

BCG89 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was hoping to book appointment for sometime in Sept/Oct - getting married end of March 2021. I can't book online for any date, does anyone know if/when they will begin taking appointments again? Thanks

In the same boat, looking to book for dublin. I understang postponments will take priroity but has anyone been able to contact them to confirm when they will be taking new appointments?

Thanks

In the same boat, looking to book for dublin. I understang postponments will take priroity but has anyone been able to contact them to confirm when they will be taking new appointments?

Thanks

I phoned them and was able to get through no problem a couple of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Have you emailed? I found them very quick to respond by email.
    Remember also that you’ll get a quicker appointment if you travel outside of Dublin. You can give your notice in any office. I booked an appointment (pre-pandemic, last summer) on a Tuesday and had my appointment two days later. So quieter offices won’t have postponements to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭rx8

Thanks

They told me that there would be no new appointments until October at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭helen87

i emailed them and they said that they are currently not doing face to face appointments for the foreseeable, in Dublin anyway so we have to do a postal form to cover us for having it done at least 3 months before the wedding (if that even goes ahead !!!) in October, and then we can have the face to face meeting closer to the time

helen87 wrote: »
    i emailed them and they said that they are currently not doing face to face appointments for the foreseeable, in Dublin anyway so we have to do a postal form to cover us for having it done at least 3 months before the wedding (if that even goes ahead !!!) in October, and then we can have the face to face meeting closer to the time

They told me it would be a face-to-face in June?!

Phone call this morning changing our notification appointment to a postal form. They've said we can bring the other paperwork (birth certs, ID etc) to the office once it's open

• Advertisement

Phone call this morning changing our notification appointment to a postal form. They've said we can bring the other paperwork (birth certs, ID etc) to the office once it's open

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CAnnTreacy

Hi everyone, I'm so confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I filled out my intent to marry form - with the Dublin Registry office as a venue for our Civil Ceremony. Today, they sent me back the form with a post-it saying "Booking System down due to Cyber attack" - no other info.

Did anyone have any luck getting the intent to marry through since the cyber attack?

If I change my ceremony type - to be religious/humanist - will they then accept my Intent to Marry? Are they saying the booking system for the registry office is down or the Intent to Marry system is down? Or is it all the one.

For context - I was hoping to get married in December so I need to submit the Intent to Marry, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭C4000

Aa

Post edited by C4000 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Did you get any answers on this? We can't even get an intent to marry form to fill in! The phone lines are down due to the cyber attack so I've emailed requesting one and got a bounceback email about the cyber attack, then sent it to another email as outlined in the bounceback.... only to get a bounceback from that one saying they will only address queries with a reference number. I'm tearing my hair out a bit, can anyone point me in the right direction?

I have been trying to deal with the dublin office for several months and it is unbelievably frustrating. I eventually managed to get hold of an intent to marry form after 3 months of trying and had this filled in and signed by a registrar (you'll need this done at least 3 months before the wedding). The phone lines have been working in the last few days, so if you ring and ask to be put through to a registrar (ask for a lady called Barbara) you should at least get this step done.

They won't give us a marriage notification appointment or even confirm that they will have someone available to conduct the ceremony on the day as they can't do any of this while their IT system is down and they have no idea when this will be resolved.

I'm I a position now where I think I will have to book a humanist solemniser just to ensure that we will have someone to conduct the wedding. I was told this morning that two wedding parties showed up to get married at the same time last week, it seems to be complete chaos there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I did try phoning yesterday but just got the automated message again.

We are getting married in 6 months so don't really have the time for all this being passed around, you're right about how frustrating it is. We've booked a humanist celebrant though, to be honest I would recommend you do the same as that's one worry off the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sammyb

We still have to register and our getting married in 7 month's time. Are there major wait times with covid? How long is the process taking? I'm going to phone tomorrow the office on Grand Canal street. Cheers. Best of luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Nobody is answering emails.

What is best way to arrange a wedding in Dublin registry office?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Why are people in such a hurry to get married? Serious question btw…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,451 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Considering you asked WHY mean's it's not that you disagree with it but that you simply can't understand the concept ,Which in turn indicates you have other more pressing issues you might need to attended to before worrying about why people get married ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

The email on the Govt website, for East of Ireland, is Louise Dodrill

I have found out after months of trying to get a response, she no longer works there.

Any other options to arrange civil ceremony.

The email certificates@

is another dead end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

If you would like a civil ceremony in our registry office or want one of our registrars to go to a venue of your choice and do the ceremony you can call the office to speak to a registrar 

The number is 01 8638200

The above details were on an email from Louise from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Anyone manage to book their notification of intent to get married appointment.

The website, which is shockingly bad anyway, just says no appointments available on any day I select.

I rang last week and after 40 min on hold got told they can't book it either and the website should be back up later that week, I don't know how people are managing to book appointments for weddings given you have to give 3 months notice and the system has been down since earlier this year.

Why are people in such a hurry to get married? Serious question btw…

I don't think people are in a hurry as such but you have to book a venue over a year out from when you want to get married and then after that is booked you have to book with the registrar, so the date is set and there is a timeline counting down, that is why people are in rush to get registrar appointment because their wedding date is gettign closer and closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So they can share tax credits, and avoid inheritance tax if one of them dies.

That's the only reason I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Yeah you’re right, I need to let the cat out, thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Not sure if you're joking or not, but the inheritance tax is a reason for us. We bought a house last year and the legalities are very much on my mind and another reason I don't want to keep postponing! And tax credits if we have kids.

And of course I love him :P

It is impossible at the moment to book a notification appointment and has been for several months. They are still blaming the cyber attack for this as it has taken all their diary and booking systems offline. They are doing them on an emergency basis for people getting married next month.

They also won't allow you to book a registrar and won't guarentee that they will have someone available on the date of your ceremony. We've booked a humanist instead.

The requirement to give three months notice will be fulfilled if you get a postal form sent in, signed by a registrar, and returned to you. You'll still need to have the meeting at some point.

Try this number: 01 8638241. That is a direct line for one of the registrars. Ask her to send you the notification form ASAP and at least that will be done.

Their entire system is a joke, I've literally being trying to complete this notification process since January and still no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I assume they are still proceeding with appointments that are already booked? I made an appointment earlier this year for November. It’s actually an appointment just to update our paperwork as we did the intent to marry for our original date. Did the cyber attack take down just future appointments or any appointments that they already had? Wondering if I need to try resolve this or if it’s ok. Don’t want to be clogging up phone lines for people who have a more urgent need than us!

• Advertisement

From what I was told, they don't know themselves who has booked what, as they can't look at their diaries or calendars. They've had two groups showing up for weddings at the same time etc.

I would defintely advise showing up for that appointment with whatever booking confirmation you have and looking for it to go ahead.

Advertisement