Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vr headset with xbox 360

• 29-04-2020 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi. I want to get a VR headset for my kids. We have an xbox 360. I've read that VR isnt compatible with an xbox. We don't have a PS4.

Would you have any recommendations. I have a huawei p20 phone. I used a VR headset for phones a few years ago and didn't like it. In fairness it was a very cheap VR set!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Kid's age?
    Budget?
    What do you want VR for?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭crazylady1

Kid's age?
    Budget?
    What do you want VR for?

Thanks for your reply. I don't know much about VR to be honest. Kids ages are 10 and 12. We're just looking for something that we can all play around with. None of us are big into gaming. Budget would be about €150

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

You can get an Oculus go which is a standalone unit for €170 in Argos.
    Not sure what type of apps are on it, but its stand alone requires a phone to work, as in to setup and connect to store etc.
    Not like a phone slotted into the headset

Oculus quest is great, wirelss and stand alone, but way out of your budget at around 499

PSVR requires a PS4 and a few bits, its good but alot of setting up but once again so start with nothing will be about €4-500

coolisin wrote: »
    You can get an Oculus go which is a standalone unit for €170 in Argos.
    Not sure what type of apps are on it, but its stand alone requires a phone to work, as in to setup and connect to store etc.
    Not like a phone slotted into the headset

Oculus quest is great, wirelss and stand alone, but way out of your budget at around 499

PSVR requires a PS4 and a few bits, its good but alot of setting up but once again so start with nothing will be about €4-500

Thanks so much for the reply. I was looking into the oculus over the last few days. Sounds great. The quest is expensive but I'm debating whether I will get it as a Xmas present. It gives me time to save and it will probably be my child's last Christmas for Santa. I would love for it to be one they remember for the cool present they got.
    Now all I have to do is convince my husband. He thinks it's a crazy price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

crazylady1 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the reply. I was looking into the oculus over the last few days. Sounds great. The quest is expensive but I'm debating whether I will get it as a Xmas present. It gives me time to save and it will probably be my child's last Christmas for Santa. I would love for it to be one they remember for the cool present they got.
    Now all I have to do is convince my husband. He thinks it's a crazy price!!

Assuming you want something for the kids to play games on, the go really isn't a good option. Even if it is in budget. I owned one and there's some fun to be had in a couple of short games, for a while, but mostly it shines as a media device, watching shows, movies etc. If you could wait to get the quest and they are gamers they will knock WAY more fun out of it. But I get it, not cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Assuming you want something for the kids to play games on, the go really isn't a good option. Even if it is in budget. I owned one and there's some fun to be had in a couple of short games, for a while, but mostly it shines as a media device, watching shows, movies etc. If you could wait to get the quest and they are gamers they will knock WAY more fun out of it. But I get it, not cheap!

100% never used the GO to play games, just had a facebook/Videos demo/play around but screen was good on it, million times better then a phone in a headset so was not sure what was available for it games wise.

Op here. We've decided that we will get the oculus quest as a Christmas present. It's for the kids but I'd like to have a go on it myself aswel. I've never used VR so I'm excited to try it!!

Hopefully I can get one in the black Friday sales. If ye hear of any good deals in the meantime will ye let me know. Thanks again for your replies. I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

coolisin wrote: »
    100% never used the GO to play games, just had a facebook/Videos demo/play around but screen was good on it, million times better then a phone in a headset so was not sure what was available for it games wise.

Just a tip ... Oculus Go works fantastically to play 3rd person VR games like Chronos / Edge of Nowhere ... or even Project Cars 2

Just gotta link it in with Virtual Desktop... plus you obviously need the PC that will be powerful enough

Advertisement