Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 NFL Draft

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

49ers now not going to pick any of their original picks. Traded them all either up, down, or for players. Busy front office.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

mikemac2 wrote: »
    For my Ravens we don’t have many needs but I’d like

Edge rusher - Za’darius Smith & Pernell McPhee were day 3 picks

Blocking tight end - Thaddeus Moss from LSU is widely mocked

Cornerback - Every team should take a cornerback or two every draft. The Ravens will take someone

It's great going into each draft at ease knowing that your team is going to draft well. I can't remember that last bad one we had. 2004 was the most forgettable that comes to mind.

So the kicker drafted for the Patriots seems to be heavily associated with a pretty problematic group. Apparently they provided 'security' for the white supremacist group in Charlottesville.

https://twitter.com/JuMosq/status/1254120952520077312?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Patriots PR must have got to him quickly

https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/1254141927861207040?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Seems a bit of a character

• Advertisement

Doubtful a black draftee with as problematic a tattoo would firstly get drafted with it still there and secondly get away with such a weak excuse, like this guy likely will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Blut2

Yeah thats a very soft excuse. Maybe the part about getting it as a teenager as a mistake is true. But thats no excuse for his not having had it lazered off at any stage in the subsequent 5+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Eagles finding a lot of good talent down the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Eagles going WR heavy so far. Four including one trade and the main trait they all seem to have is speed which is what the eagles haven't had.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Eagles going WR heavy so far. Four including one trade and the main trait they all seem to have is speed which is what the eagles haven't had.
    I think I was one of the rare people that had Reagor over Jefferson. Jefferson is only good in the slot.

But yeah, the Hurts pick aside, good draft for the birds.

• Advertisement

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I think I was one of the rare people that had Reagor over Jefferson. Jefferson is only good in the slot.

But yeah, the Hurts pick aside, good draft for the birds.

And I'm not against hurts and he's clearly a good player but it's a weird when the eagles have a young franchise QB(albeit has injury issues which he needs to shake off) who's not going anywhere soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭letowski

Green Bay's draft doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. One of their biggest needs in the draft was at WR. And it just so happens this was one of the deepest WR class in years. And they didn't take one. If someone did a receiver-less Green Bay mock draft before this week, they would have been laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,323 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

letowski wrote:
    Green Bay's draft doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. One of their biggest needs in the draft was at WR. And it just so happens this was one of the deepest WR class in years. And they didn't take one. If someone did a receiver-less Green Bay mock draft before this week, they would have been laughed at.
    Something's up because the Patriots were in the same boat and didn't take a wr either. They must both have identified a bunch of what they knew would be udfa's or they are changing their approach or something.

letowski wrote: »

The eagles filled their boots with them. They got good recievers deep. I know the draft will go back to the old way as soon as it can but I have to say personally I really liked how it was done this year given the circumstances. What did others think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

That was a very enjoyable draft and ran a lot more smoothly than anyone could have hoped in my opinion. It was cool to see the HCs and GMs in there homes going through the process with there families. Goodell and the Nfl deserve a lot of credit for giving people something to enjoy in these tough times .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

The eagles filled their boots with them. They got good recievers deep. I know the draft will go back to the old way as soon as it can but I have to say personally I really liked how it was done this year given the circumstances. What did others think ?

Genuinely not trying to be smart here, but how do we know the Eagles got good receivers deep in the draft? None of these guys have played a snap in the pros yet. Is it not more likely that they took several because it has been a big problem position for them that they wanted to solve no matter what and they know some of their picks will not work out? Nobody knows for sure how any prospect will work out, ever.

Agree on the Green Bay draft. Between the Love pick and not picking a receiver it makes no sense to me.

Genuinely not trying to be smart here, but how do we know the Eagles got good receivers deep in the draft? None of these guys have played a snap in the pros yet. Is it not more likely that they took several because it has been a big problem position for them that they wanted to solve no matter what and they know some of their picks will not work out? Nobody knows for sure how any prospect will work out, ever.

Agree on the Green Bay draft. Between the Love pick and not picking a receiver it makes no sense to me.

They got receivers with speed and given the eagles WR corp recently have been crap for the most part and couldn't spread the field and because the eagles went TE heavy they were very predictable. Fair enough they may not all turn out great but good will do me as an eagles fan, but if they stop the eagles from being as one dimensional then in my eyes that's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

They got receivers with speed and given the eagles WR corp recently have been crap for the most part and couldn't spread the field and because the eagles went TE heavy they were very predictable. Fair enough they may not all turn out great but good will do me as an eagles fan, but if they stop the eagles from being as one dimensional then in my eyes that's good.
    They had to attack the position and they went all in. I think they’ll be a big threat in 2020 if they stay healthy. Surely some of these guys work out. I suppose my point is a more general one, I see analysts giving each team draft grades etc which is kind of mad when you think about it. A lot of the guys drafted in recent days, especially after the early rounds just won’t work out for whatever reason.

I thought it was really interesting, actually. I enjoyed it more than I normally do as it was cool seeing all the top prospects in their homes waiting anxiously and seeing the staff celebrate. Also, the less I see of Jerry Jones in the middle of a war room literally hogging the camera the better.

They had to attack the position and they went all in. I think they’ll be a big threat in 2020 if they stay healthy. Surely some of these guys work out. I suppose my point is a more general one, I see analysts giving each team draft grades etc which is kind of mad when you think about it. A lot of the guys drafted in recent days, especially after the early rounds just won’t work out for whatever reason.
    The grading is based on the value at the time. Like, our final pick was given an A but if we had selected him straight off the bat it would be a D to F grade. Some of the players the Eagles picked actually have slight issues that can be fixed with good coaching.

You can only judge the draft based on the time of the draft. Only time can tell if they are going to be good or not. But the one thing that hurt us was having a smart QB with a hell of an arm and no speed for deep threats.

• Advertisement

The grading is based on the value at the time. Like, our final pick was given an A but if we had selected him straight off the bat it would be a D to F grade. Some of the players the Eagles picked actually have slight issues that can be fixed with good coaching.

You can only judge the draft based on the time of the draft. Only time can tell if they are going to be good or not. But the one thing that hurt us was having a smart QB with a hell of an arm and no speed for deep threats.
    Which was clear to see when Djax came back for a brief cameo and the eagles offense looked completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Bears signed another 2 UDFA TEs tonight. That's 12 on the roster now. :pac:

Also signed Khalil Mack's brother Ledarius..

I almost enjoy the UDFA frenzy more than the draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That was a very enjoyable draft and ran a lot more smoothly than anyone could have hoped in my opinion. It was cool to see the HCs and GMs in there homes going through the process with there families. Goodell and the Nfl deserve a lot of credit for giving people something to enjoy in these tough times .
    I thought it was really interesting, actually. I enjoyed it more than I normally do as it was cool seeing all the top prospects in their homes waiting anxiously and seeing the staff celebrate. Also, the less I see of Jerry Jones in the middle of a war room literally hogging the camera the better.

I had the whole of today on the TV and I never would normally watch beyond day 1 or 2 if that.

Really enjoyed it.

Goodell said at the end that there were things that they will take from it.

Be interesting to see how it goes.

---

Obviously given the circumstances and the lack of sport and the novelty the viewing figures will be through the roof, but it will be interesting to see what they take to Cleveland next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Oat23 wrote: »
    Bears signed another 2 UDFA TEs tonight. That's 12 on the roster now. :pac:

Also signed Khalil Mack's brother Ledarius..

I almost enjoy the UDFA frenzy more than the draft.

I always find it interesting to see certain UDFAs like Philip Lindsay happen and yet, if he was drafted in Round 6 we'd dismiss him! Or Mel Kiper would say he's too small! :)

Perception is amazing sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

eagle eye wrote: »
    Something's up because the Patriots were in the same boat and didn't take a wr either. They must both have identified a bunch of what they knew would be udfa's or they are changing their approach or something.

While the Jets got one WR (traded back 11 spots in round 2 before they took him), I thought sure they would have picked up 2 or 3. I listened to a press conference with the Jets GM Joe Douglas and he was talking about how they went with what the board gave them and were focusing on BPA more so than reaching for need. So I wonder if the NFL scouts just weren't as high on the WR class as the media were?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭letowski

phatkev wrote: »
    While the Jets got one WR (traded back 11 spots in round 2 before they took him), I thought sure they would have picked up 2 or 3. I listened to a press conference with the Jets GM Joe Douglas and he was talking about how they went with what the board gave them and were focusing on BPA more so than reaching for need. So I wonder if the NFL scouts just weren't as high on the WR class as the media were?

I get the feeling that WR depth was somewhat misrepresented. There was a good cluster of prospects mainly from the 20-50 range, but not a whole lot after that. When the Bengals and Colts took Higgins and Pittman with the first 2 picks in the second round, there was a run on WRs, leaving not much value late in the 2nd and 3rd round. It might have caught out a few teams. But I didn't expect Denzel Mims to fall that far nonetheless.

I get the feeling that WR depth was somewhat misrepresented. There was a good cluster of prospects mainly from the 20-50 range, but not a whole lot after that. When the Bengals and Colts took Higgins and Pittman with the first 2 picks in the second round, there was a run on WRs, leaving not much value late in the 2nd and 3rd round. It might have caught out a few teams. But I didn't expect Denzel Mims to fall that far nonetheless.

I'm not sure how you believe WR depth was misrepresented. When you take a historic number of WRs in the first 2 rounds then things won't be as plentiful in the 3rd and you're picking players with more flaws. If you compare the quality of WRs taken in the 2nd and 3rd round to most previous years, it looks much better this weekend. We'll have to wait until they play, and it takes WRs longer to get up to NFL speed, but by the numbers the depth held up as advertised.

The 2021 class is shaping up to be very good group as well.

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1254410311597207555?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I always find it interesting to see certain UDFAs like Philip Lindsay happen and yet, if he was drafted in Round 6 we'd dismiss him! Or Mel Kiper would say he's too small! :)

Perception is amazing sometimes.

30% of the NFL is made up of undrafted free agents

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I have to say that I have been impressed with Elway and this year's draft. He resisted trading up for Jeudy, the most accomplished WR in the draft, got a speedster in R2, drafted the future starting center in R3, took Muti in R6 and if he overcomes his injury issues (a big if) he is a potential R1 quality pick and starter on the OL. On top of that - the Broncos had 12 picks in the draft, Elway picked 10 players - but also traded a R4 pick for Bouye who will start at CB and a R7 pick for Casey who will start at DT. 5 likely starters and a lot of potential is not a bad haul from the draft picks the Broncos had available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I feel like every second year is a generational class for wrs now. Def seems like wrs are more polished coming out now.

Advertisement