Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retained fire Brigade

• 12-04-2020 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi Guys
    I have an interview for the retainer fire Brigade and was looking for some advice on how to sell myself
    I am a CFR,FAR and EFR ,have a certificate in community Health Services and am meant to be training as an EMT but cannot atm due to Covid-19
    Will these help me in anyway during my interview what’s the best way to sell myself and will age play a part in this as I am 19 and have been told it could hinder my chances .Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

Not a fire fighter so can't say for sure, but things like the EFR/EMT are a plus but don't have that as your main selling point.

They'll like to see you have those things and a bit of first aid experience, but at the end of the day your'e applying to a fire brigade and not the ambulance service.

Fire brigade work is very technical, and there's not a huge amount of medical calls. What I'd imagine would be more valuable is experience with physical/manual labour, knowing about generators, power tools, heavy machinery and vehicles, being into fitness and team sports would probably get you a lot further than an EFR cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I'm retained now for last 4/5 yrs and can't for the life of me find full time work within 2 miles of my station and its not from the lack of trying, I'll probably have to give it up as I'm hoping to apply for a mortgage nxt year and I don't think I'd get one as a retained ff, the banks wouldn't count the social welfare payment as part of my wage.has anyone else dealt with something similar, it's a shame really because I really don't want to give it up

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

How strict is the 2 mile rule? Like if the job was based a mile away but involved some work at the client's location further away, would that be a definite no or a case-by-case thing? And are you on call 24/7, or do you get a roster to work around (assuming the other job has flexible hours)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JamesMcCormack

Hi everyone.

Any current FF on here know what the chances would be of someone passing the medical if they had a history of social anxiety?

Understand that a FF has to be in top shape both physically and mentally as it’s a demanding role and your colleagues have to have someone beside them they can trust to do the job, but if someone had a history in recent years but it’s behind them now, would this stop them passing the medical?

Cheers

Advertisement