Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DBS - HDip Psychology

• 11-05-2019 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just looking for a little advice. So I have decided I am going to undertake a HDip in psychology in DBS and just wondering on the best route. There are 2 options, HDip in psychology, and the other in counselling and psychotherapy and I am unsure of the best route. I know before deciding I should ideally know what exactly I want to do afterwards in particular, and that I am a little unsure off, but I do know I want to make this journey into psychology, that's for sure.

I initially wanted to do clinical, and therefore would have to take the Psychology route but I am now leaning toward the psychotherapy road but I'm unsure. I know clinical is a long road. If I was to take the psychotherapy route does that close a lot of doors to me afterwards? Maybe I would be best doing the psychology and keeping my options open and could then take-up psychotherapy.... Perhaps there are some people hear that could provide me with a little insight that would be much appreciated. I was suppose to be attending the open day on monday but I am now unable to make it. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Well you generally can't work in Psychology without a post grad, whereas with a psychotherapy qualification you can work immediately (assuming you have an appropriate undergrad), would that factor into your decision?

I don't know much about the Clinical Psychology route but if you have questions about the counselling one there are a few people here who will be happy to try to answer, including myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hi all

Just looking for a little advice. So I have decided I am going to undertake a HDip in psychology in DBS and just wondering on the best route. There are 2 options, HDip in psychology, and the other in counselling and psychotherapy and I am unsure of the best route. I know before deciding I should ideally know what exactly I want to do afterwards in particular, and that I am a little unsure off, but I do know I want to make this journey into psychology, that's for sure.

I initially wanted to do clinical, and therefore would have to take the Psychology route but I am now leaning toward the psychotherapy road but I'm unsure. I know clinical is a long road. If I was to take the psychotherapy route does that close a lot of doors to me afterwards? Maybe I would be best doing the psychology and keeping my options open and could then take-up psychotherapy.... Perhaps there are some people hear that could provide me with a little insight that would be much appreciated. I was suppose to be attending the open day on monday but I am now unable to make it. Thanks in advance!

Clinical Psychology = degree in psychology plus PhD in Clinical Psychology. It's really hard to get into the PhD as there is a LOT of competition. Usually involves a MSc + plus lots of relevant experience, often gained by working as a volunteer as there are few Assistant Psychologist places.

Have you looked at the various forums and professional bodies for information?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Hey, thanks so much for the replies. Yes I have done a lot of reading back, especially throughout the forum. DBS also has another open day in June so I will attend that for further clarification. Maybe ye could help me with one more query. I think I’ve settled on doing the HDip in Counselling and psychotherapy in DBS. I see that by doing that, as well as the masters, will leave me with IAHIP accredition. However, by doing the 4 year BA honours off the same, leaves me with ICAP recognition. Obviously, the HDip is much more suitable for me as I already have a level 8. I’m just wondering as regards the recognition between the 2, is ICAP more superior to IAHIP or does it matter too much. Thanks guys, much appreciated!

I've met terrible counsellors from both accreditation bodies (IACP and IAHIP) so personally i don't want to pay an extra 15,000 - 30,000 euro for something that wouldn't guarantee I'd be a good counsellor or my clients would have better outcomes at the end of it but ANYWAY that's my personal prejudice, don't pay attention to that.

Can you definitely get IAHIP accreditation with the DBS masters? I didn't know that. Edit: yeah i found it, that's cool

How many years and how much money would those two courses be in total? Don't forget you'll have to pay for supervision and personal counselling, that adds an extra few thousand

The last i heard was CORU were talking about calling anyone with a BSc or BA a counsellor and anyone with a Masters a psychotherapist, but it is not clear which masters programs will qualify for that and it is suggested that not all will. There is a lot of conflicting information floating around

Other Dublin schools I know of offering masters in psychotherapy (various types and focuses) are IIACP, PCI and ICHAS, not to mention the state schools like Trinity and UCD. Don't decide yet that DBS is where you want to do your masters,a̶f̶a̶i̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶o̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶s̶y̶c̶h̶o̶a̶n̶a̶l̶y̶s̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶m̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶c̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶f̶a̶v̶o̶u̶r̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶t̶y̶p̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶p̶s̶y̶c̶h̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶a̶p̶y̶.̶ ̶ ̶W̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶s̶c̶h̶o̶o̶l̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶e̶r̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶f̶o̶c̶i̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶p̶s̶y̶c̶h̶o̶a̶n̶a̶l̶y̶s̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶e̶p̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶D̶B̶S̶ ̶H̶.̶d̶i̶p̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶d̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶u̶n̶d̶e̶r̶g̶r̶a̶d̶u̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶s̶y̶c̶h̶o̶l̶o̶g̶y̶ ̶(̶m̶a̶y̶b̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶,̶ ̶i̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶i̶'̶d̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶)̶?̶

Edit: OH i just looked and they do have a masters in integrative psychotherapy so that's good. I assume your client work doesn't start till then. This does look like a good route, the price is about the same as PCI and in the end you get a Masters. i don't have a level 8 degree already so it wouldn't have worked for me so i don't have to wonder about what might have been. Of course if i could go back in time a few years what i'd do would be their undergrad in psych that's only 800 a year and then do a h dip and then blah blah blah

SuperRabbit, thank you! Just dropped you a Pm there, hope ya don’t mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 GretschFalcon

Hi guys!

Sorry to resurrect this thread, I'm sure you're sick of it.

I'm in the same boat; I want to do psychotherapy and already have an L8 BA (in Psychology) so I'm not enthusiastic about doing a whole other BA. My inclination is to do the H Dip plus the MA from DBS which would give me a diploma and a Masters for the same time period (4 years) as the BA.

However it would be more expensive this way than just doing the BA.

Did you guys ever figure out any pro's and cons in terms not just of cost but of accreditation etc?

I'm finding it a real muddle, especially with people mentioning CORU regulation now on top of everything else.

Cheers

Yeah if you already have an undergrad in psychology don't do the hdip in psychology, it's just a conversion course for people who don't have what you have. The hdip in counselling + 2 year ma in counselling sounds like a good plan, leaves you with a higher qualification than someone with 2 BAs, and CORU were talking about making people with a masters "psychotherapists" and people with a BA "counsellors", which definitely isn't an idea that came from a psychotherapist or counsellor. But yeah, it will mean you can call yourself a psychotherapist, which will mean something?

Are you sure it's more expensive? I imagine it's about the same price?

Thanks for the reply SuperRabbit!

The whole counsellor/psychotherapist distinction with CORU is a bit odd, but I guess it would be safer to get to Level 9 (ie Masters) to make sure I don't limit my opportunities. And of course I'd be much more motivated to do that than a second BA.

In terms of cost, you're actually right now that I've looked at it more - they're much of a muchness.

Fees per year are similar so (BA X4 years) would be roughly equivalent in cost to (H Dip Psychotherapy X 2 years and a Masters X2 years).

I'm looking at DBS for the H Dip and then after that I'll see how I feel about them and whether to pursue a Masters elsewhere (IICP seems good, and I believe it's been mentioned on other threads? Will depend on course structure and work schedule among other things, as I work full time).

I'm set on psychotherapy with a view to being a counselling psychologist in the long term, just for context. Not looking at clinical or anything like that.

That all sounds great! Being a counselling psychologist would mean having the option to work with the HSE. If, on your journey, you happen to see an affordable psych conversion course while you are doing your research, or one that allows you to.. what's the word.. homogenize? homogenate? homologate? .. not redo.. modules similar enough to ones one has already done... do tell!

Haha I will certainly keep you posted on any homogenization or otherwise of modules I come across!

And if I come back here with queries any advice would be much appreciated :)

thanks

• Advertisement

Hi guys!

Sorry to resurrect this thread, I'm sure you're sick of it.

I'm in the same boat; I want to do psychotherapy and already have an L8 BA (in Psychology) so I'm not enthusiastic about doing a whole other BA. My inclination is to do the H Dip plus the MA from DBS which would give me a diploma and a Masters for the same time period (4 years) as the BA.

However it would be more expensive this way than just doing the BA.

Did you guys ever figure out any pro's and cons in terms not just of cost but of accreditation etc?

I'm finding it a real muddle, especially with people mentioning CORU regulation now on top of everything else.

Cheers

Hey there

Just reading my original post there, seems a lot longer than a year ago since I wrote it. Anyway, I went with the H-Dip in counselling and psychotherapy in DBS and I absolutely love it. Can't speak too highly about it to be honest. And a lot of experimental learning, no exams either.

As regards what super-rabbit said, I never heard that about a BA recognizing counselor, and masters recognizing psychotherapist going forward but could well be true. I do know, that IAHIP only accept post graduate (masters) training so are therefore looking for a higher level of training that IACP. The H-Dip and masters in DBS will cover accreditation here. As regards going forward, are trainers did tell us back in september that it will be 4 years until new rules in play re advertising without accreditation. If you have any more questions get in touch as I have been where you are, up until very recently :)

trainers did tell us back in september that it will be 4 years until new rules in play re advertising without accreditation

That's cool! Where was that announced or where did they hear that?

That's cool! Where was that announced or where did they hear that?

We where just told on induction. No announcement that I saw as such. I will see if I can get more info on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

The whole counsellor/psychotherapist distinction with CORU is a bit odd, but I guess it would be safer to get to Level 9 (ie Masters) to make sure I don't limit my opportunities. And of course I'd be much more motivated to do that than a second BA.

In terms of cost, you're actually right now that I've looked at it more - they're much of a muchness.

Fees per year are similar so (BA X4 years) would be roughly equivalent in cost to (H Dip Psychotherapy X 2 years and a Masters X2 years).

I'm looking at DBS for the H Dip and then after that I'll see how I feel about them and whether to pursue a Masters elsewhere (IICP seems good, and I believe it's been mentioned on other threads? Will depend on course structure and work schedule among other things, as I work full time).

I'm set on psychotherapy with a view to being a counselling psychologist in the long term, just for context. Not looking at clinical or anything like that.

Just for clarification, you want to do a H. Dip and Masters in psychotherapy, qualify as a psychotherapist, and then pursue counselling psychology?

It seems very roundabout. Why go down the psychotherapy route at all, when you could simply move onto a Masters in psychology and then try to get a place on the counselling psychology doctorate?

You say you don't want to pursue clinical or anything like that, but... you realise that counselling and clinical psychs emerge with equitable qualifications and work in the same jobs?

I love Jimmy's idea but my guess is it would cost more than twice as much? That's definitely what you should do if money is no object or if I am wrong about how much more it would cost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I think maybe you're thinking you can combine your psychotherapy HDip and an MA to do counselling psychology? Unfortunately it won't work that way. If you study psychotherapy you can call yourself a psychotherapist, or a counselling psychotherapist. If you want to be a Counselling Psychologist in the long term you'll have to do the doctorate in Counselling Psychology. In which case it would be better for you to go straight on to that. There's one in Trinity and there was one in UCC too, not sure if it's still running, there isn't much of a difference in the fees though - it's fairly pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Girl_Next_Door

Hey there

Just reading my original post there, seems a lot longer than a year ago since I wrote it. Anyway, I went with the H-Dip in counselling and psychotherapy in DBS and I absolutely love it. Can't speak too highly about it to be honest. And a lot of experimental learning, no exams either.

As regards what super-rabbit said, I never heard that about a BA recognizing counselor, and masters recognizing psychotherapist going forward but could well be true. I do know, that IAHIP only accept post graduate (masters) training so are therefore looking for a higher level of training that IACP. The H-Dip and masters in DBS will cover accreditation here. As regards going forward, are trainers did tell us back in september that it will be 4 years until new rules in play re advertising without accreditation. If you have any more questions get in touch as I have been where you are, up until very recently :)

Hi pheasant tail I've been trying to find out information on the H.Dip / MA in Counselling & Psychotherapy at DBS and have come across your post, from above it seems you're happy with your decision to embark on the H.Dip, are you able to provide any info on the content of the experiential component of the course, what the trainers are like? Also on the MA would you know how much support DBS provides in getting client work for their students?

Many thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lora101

Hi there, I was just offered a place in higher diploma in councelling and psyhotherapy at DBS but still unsure with costs and everything. I was wondering since you're doing the course, would you be able to give me an insight into the course ? :) I know it's two evenings a week but what days are you normally in and the times? thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

@lora101 did you sign up for the DBS psychotherapy H.Dip? I am doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 OtisHiggins

hi all,

wondering can anyone let me know about the DBS HDip in Counselling and Psychotherapy, what evenings does it run and what are the hours? The website isn't clear as to whether it's two or three evenings a week. Any info on the teachers too would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to decide between the DBS HDip and the UCD HDip in Psychotherapy Studies. Many thanks!

• Advertisement

Hi Otis

I just finished the HDIP in counselling and psychotherapy in DBS last year. Semesters were 12 weeks each, which included class on Wednesday and Thursday evenings, and every second Saturday (or perhaps a little less).

I don’t know anything about the UCD course but I found the trainers on the HDIP were probably the part of it that I was most happy with, some of them at the top of their game.

Hope that answers some of your questions, get in touch if you want anything else.

Advertisement