Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NRL and all things Rugby League down under

• 01-02-2019 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

Not long to wait for the new season down under, the All Star Game first up (15th February), which is a bit of a non event but any Rugby League is a good thing.

Messy off season for a lot of clubs and players, certainly haven't covered themselves in glory, so getting back to playing the game will be a welcome relief.

Hard to look past the Roosters again this year, with the usual suspects in or around the hunt for the Play offs. I might put a couple of euro on the Panthers this year and the Cowboys (sans Barba) can't be as bad this year so might be there or there abouts.

The Warriors, as always will be hard to guess how they're going to do but probably mid-ladder (but who knows, maybe this is the year!)

People's guesses for their team, and who's going to win it?

Last years thread HERE

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

thanks Tom you're the man

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Roosters are looking formidable as things stand.

I'm excited to see what the Knights can do this season. I want them to get into the top 8 and I think they've a chance this time. Keen to see what Ponga can serve up this campaign.

Shocked at the Barba story that has emerged. I was eager to see him back in the NRL. Wonder will he be back in England shortly?

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Good to see the new thread up and running. I'd say the NRL can't wait for the season to kick off with all the nonsense going on off the pitch. Will those players ever learn. I worked in a couple of pubs where some of them used to come in and they really are high maintenence. I could've called the cops dozens of times.
    Enough of the bad news hopefully a good season. How will Melbourne go without Slater? Cowboys without Thurston? More importantly can the Dragons skip the usual mis season slump? Best of luck to all ye're teams guys (except when they play Saints of course)

Coverage still sucks this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Thanks for the fixture /coverage list Kirk.

I wish I could find a decent source to watch everything, that isn't too expensive. I know Bein 2 France will often have a game on when Sky don't, but I'd prefer an English commentary (though the French commentary sounds good fun) and they're still very hit and miss.

I miss Premier Sports coverage, every single game. Maybe the nrl app will be cheaper this year.

Quite a few early kick-offs for those of us in this part of the world. Love the 10:50 ones if I can catch it live. Pity there aren't too many on Saturday.

We'd no idea how good we had it with every game live!

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Rabbitohs beat the Dragons in this years Charity Shield. Season not too far away now...........

Rabbitohs beat the Dragons in this years Charity Shield. Season not too far away now...........
    I'm worried about the Dragons this year. All this off the field stuff with De Belin could create a distraction.

I'm worried about the Dragons this year. All this off the field stuff with De Belin could create a distraction.

I'm not sure why they didn't just stand him down initially. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, that's the way the wind has blown pre season, it was inevitable.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure why they didn't just stand him down initially. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, that's the way the wind has blown pre season, it was inevitable.
    Very true. At least it might have kept the media away if they didn't dig their heels in.

I see they're looking at expanding the finals to 10 teams from 2020. Teams 7 to 10 would play in week one with the top 6 having a week off. I personally don't like it. I'm on the phone so can't post a link but it's on the fox sports site.

I see they're looking at expanding the finals to 10 teams from 2020. Teams 7 to 10 would play in week one with the top 6 having a week off. I personally don't like it. I'm on the phone so can't post a link but it's on the fox sports site.

So it'll be harder to miss the play offs than make them if this goes through, and I'm sure it will. Nothing to do with the competition, all to do with money.

Makes a change from the pre season sex tapes news though I suppose.

It goes on, since he won't take no for an answer, legal case speaking of course, he's apparently now free to play. Dragons are idiots if they play him.

It goes on, since he won't take no for an answer, legal case speaking of course, he's apparently now free to play. Dragons are idiots if they play him.
    Agreed. They need to just shut up and quietly as possible head into the new season without him in the team. If he's found not guilty then stand up for him no problem. He can't be in the right headspace anyway to play.

Nearly there now............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Apologies for dragging up an old question from last year but someone recommended some NRL podcasts last year - I know one was called Six Tackles with Gus but I can't remember the other one. I featured two guys who discussed the weeks events in a relaxed style and then towards the end of their podcast the offered their predictions for the upcoming round. If anyone can remember the name of this podcast then I'd be really grateful if you could let me know.

Thanks - really hoping Cowboys have a good season this year

Nice to have headlines for the right reason hopefully!

Hard to see past the Roosters again imo.

Didn't realise Sky Sports Arena were showing the Storm/Broncos game. It's Thursday, 08:50am in this part of the world for those that maybe want to record it.

Danick wrote: »
    Apologies for dragging up an old question from last year but someone recommended some NRL podcasts last year - I know one was called Six Tackles with Gus but I can't remember the other one. I featured two guys who discussed the weeks events in a relaxed style and then towards the end of their podcast the offered their predictions for the upcoming round. If anyone can remember the name of this podcast then I'd be really grateful if you could let me know.

I don't like Gould I just find him too arrogant and he comes across as the godfather of the game like he owns it even though a lot of what he says makes sense regarding rules. I like the fox sports podcast. It's done weekly and Warren Smith is a very level headed commentator in general I think.
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-2019-fox-league-podcast-returns-nrl-offseason-controversy/news-story/cf3bbe66ac385fc99eb0b960db61b64c

I don't like Gould I just find him too arrogant and he comes across as the godfather of the game like he owns it even though a lot of what he says makes sense regarding rules. I like the fox sports podcast. It's done weekly and Warren Smith is a very level headed commentator in general I think.
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-2019-fox-league-podcast-returns-nrl-offseason-controversy/news-story/cf3bbe66ac385fc99eb0b960db61b64c

Brill thanks for that - I really appreciate it - so happy league is back!

• Advertisement

Danick wrote: »

I like the full 80 . a couple of my comments and messages have been discussed on it.
    its 3 lads from Canberra
    1 is a raiders fan , 1 is a bunnys fan the other is a eels fan .
    low enough budget but I think they get it spot on .

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

10er on Roosters for minor and same for major both at 7/2.
    Off to a stinking start.

Great to see the Knights start with a win. Rooting for them and the Warriors this season.

I like the full 80 . a couple of my comments and messages have been discussed on it.
    its 3 lads from Canberra
    1 is a raiders fan , 1 is a bunnys fan the other is a eels fan .
    low enough budget but I think they get it spot on .

Excellent - thanks!

Warriors have given the remaining tickets for today's game away for free. A gesture of solidarity with the rest of New Zealand after the terrorist attack.

That was some win for the Warriors. Feel a bit for the Bulldogs, no win for them in that kind of occasion.

Good win for the Cowboys over the Dragons.

Good win for the Cowboys over the Dragons.

Delighted with that - they started like they played for most of last season but 15 mins from the end of the first half they started to click - hope this is a sign of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

What a day it was yesterday at Mt. Smart.
    Was going to go to a Paddys day event at SkyCity but that was cancelled and I seen the warriors were giving away the free tickets.
    10am the put a statement out about the free tickets and could be claimed at noon for a 5pm kickoff.
    Just under 19000 there, great game in the first half, that cross field kick left the Bulldogs hopeless. I dont think we'll meet a team as poor as that again all season.

Great to have the season back up and running again.

• Advertisement

Disappointed with the dragons. Poor attack which has been the way for a few seasons now. Early days so won't get too hung up. Great gesture from the warriors.

Advertisement