Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Supplements

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Response from ON Ireland about price increase for Amino Energy:

Hi Ronan, thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately, the price change that you've noticed is due to the 20% VAT charge that was introduced by the government and also an increase is the price of the raw ingredients. Hope that helps a little. Have a great week, Lucy

I think she believes you live in UK as they had a 20% vat hike

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I'll go with xtend next time, I've been curious about watermelon, might take a chance on her

I can vouch for grape escape too....very drinkable!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

I think she believes you live in UK as they had a 20% vat hike

Probably the one customer care unit or something.

Oisín

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

There was no VAT hike here? AFAIK.
    I'm looking at the revenue site...
    on
    Food Supplements - Food And Drink
    Include vitamins and minerals in solid or liquid form but not including beverages such as high vitamin drinks, for oral consumption without further preparation and are supplements that forms part of a person's normal diet for the purposes of sustenance. Also includes fish oils for oral consumption. Otherwise, food supplements are liable at the Standard rate. eBrief No. 70/11 refers.

Standard Rate
    1 January 2013 23 %
    1 January 2012 23 %

no change?

I highly doubt that amino energy is made in Ireland though, if it's in the UK and then shipped to here, could that be why? Absolutely clueless when it comes to taxes etc.

But yeah, the Irish government haven't as of yet introduced a tax on sports supplements.

Oisín

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if the vat applies to where its made or where it's sold?
    To buy from the UK or German option of ON's site there is no price increase only ireland. So therefore the statement of VAT hikes is flawed.

ok apparently its a price error.
    Thank you for your e-mail.

I have checked with our web team, whilst there may be variations between the different markets, I have been advised the price is an error and will be corrected. There may be a slight change in the price scheduled but we will honour the price of 27.99 euros.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kindest Regards,

Graham
    Optimum Nutrition On-Line Team

Zombienosh wrote: »
    ok apparently its a price error.

According to the trade price list I have, €42.99 is the RRP. Everything else on their website matches the RRPs I have, or is priced higher than the RRPs. Very confused about what the story is. Keep me posted anyway.

Oisín

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Don't suppose anyone has a TPW referral code I could use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

I replied to their comment on Facebook so I'll let ye know what they say

SuprSi wrote: »

GK5517. :)

Why are you using amino energy? Pre workout or mainly for bcaas?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

SuprSi wrote: »

If anyone else would like to here's mine: MO4310

On the subject of TPW I recently won one of their Lean Muscle packs:
    http://www.theproteinworks.com/products/bundles/lean-muscle

The pack has:
    • Whey
    • Creatine monohydrate
    • BCAA Complex (Amino Acid pills)
    • CLA (Fat Burner pills)
    • Pre-workout supp (Raze)

TBH I've only ever used whey and casein up til now so I'm in a little over my head but I figure I might as well give this stuff a try.

Can anyone recommend a suggested daily intake for something like this? I realise they all have individual directions but I'm just not sure how to combine them. I do strength resistance training 4 days a week along with 2 days cardio and a rest day. If anyone has any advice that would be great.

Why are you using amino energy? Pre workout or mainly for bcaas?

Not sure who you were directing that one at :) If me I'm going to give it a try for preworkout. Had a sample one and thought it was good

irishbuzz wrote: »
    If anyone else would like to here's mine: MO4310

On the subject of TPW I recently won one of their Lean Muscle packs:
    http://www.theproteinworks.com/products/bundles/lean-muscle

The pack has:
    • Whey
    • Creatine monohydrate
    • BCAA Complex (Amino Acid pills)
    • CLA (Fat Burner pills)
    • Pre-workout supp (Raze)

TBH I've only ever used whey and casein up til now so I'm in a little over my head but I figure I might as well give this stuff a try.

Can anyone recommend a suggested daily intake for something like this? I realise they all have individual directions but I'm just not sure how to combine them. I do strength resistance training 4 days a week along with 2 days cardio and a rest day. If anyone has any advice that would be great.

Congratulations on the win man!

Whey - Take the whey directly after a workout with water, you can also use it for cooking or take it to get your protein intake for the day up.

Creatine Mono - Take 5g a day. If there's no scooper then it's 1 teaspoon.

BCAAs - Take them before/during/after training. I like to take about 10g, maybe a little more during my training. But before and directly after won't make too much of a difference if you find that easier.

CLAs - Most people take these with meals. 1 or 2 with each of your main meals or as directed on the back. Depends really on dosages and your overall diet.

Preworkout - Take it 20 mins before you start your workout. A good time is at the start of your warmup.
    Not sure who you were directing that one at :) If me I'm going to give it a try for preworkout. Had a sample one and thought it was good

I wouldn't really consider it a great preworkout to be honest. If you're just looking for a little kick / perk me up before you train it's great though. I'll use it after work if I have to head straight to train, or else if I'm in rag in the morning. I don't recommend using caffeine as a crutch to wake up, just some days I find it necessary.

The fact that ON release a more potent, powerful preworkout in America called Platinum Pre- would suggest that they're of the same mind. I however find the product indispensable and it tastes great.

With regards to the price increase, I'm going to probably get my boss to give them a ring on Friday to clarify why there was a price increase and I'll let you know what they tell me.

Oisín

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

Oisinjm wrote: »
    Congratulations on the win man!

Whey - Take the whey directly after a workout with water, you can also use it for cooking or take it to get your protein intake for the day up.

Creatine Mono - Take 5g a day. If there's no scooper then it's 1 teaspoon.

BCAAs - Take them before/during/after training. I like to take about 10g, maybe a little more during my training. But before and directly after won't make too much of a difference if you find that easier.

CLAs - Most people take these with meals. 1 or 2 with each of your main meals or as directed on the back. Depends really on dosages and your overall diet.

Preworkout - Take it 20 mins before you start your workout. A good time is at the start of your warmup.

I wouldn't really consider it a great preworkout to be honest. If you're just looking for a little kick / perk me up before you train it's great though. I'll use it after work if I have to head straight to train, or else if I'm in rag in the morning. I don't recommend using caffeine as a crutch to wake up, just some days I find it necessary.

The fact that ON release a more potent, powerful preworkout in America called Platinum Pre- would suggest that they're of the same mind. I however find the product indispensable and it tastes great.

With regards to the price increase, I'm going to probably get my boss to give them a ring on Friday to clarify why there was a price increase and I'll let you know what they tell me.

Oisín

Related to this point I've been thinking about using CLA to try an increase fat burning and possibly a pre-workout... anyone any good advice on this? I guess what I'm asking is do people find these things beneficial or can they be a bit of a waste of money?

Oisín

That would be similar to how I would use it too. Work a fairly sedentary job so the primary function of it for me is a bit of a kick up the hole energy wise on days I feel particularly tired. Is Platinum Pre available here or is there something prohibited in it?

Cheers do let me know!

POSSY wrote: »
    Related to this point I've been thinking about using CLA to try an increase fat burning and possibly a pre-workout... anyone any good advice on this? I guess what I'm asking is do people find these things beneficial or can they be a bit of a waste of money?

Not enough human trials and peer reviewed research to make a good call on them. If you have the extra cash, knock yourself out. But a good diet will do the job. Eat plenty of oily fish and keep your fish oil intake high is a tip I'd give as well, it'll help mitigate an insulin response and are generally very very sound :D

If you're looking for a strong stim based preworkout then ROS Nutrition Gun powder is a good shout, or if it's more of a mental focus you're after then Jack3d Micro is good.

Oisín

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Not enough human trials and peer reviewed research to make a good call on them. If you have the extra cash, knock yourself out. But a good diet will do the job. Eat plenty of oily fish and keep your fish oil intake high is a tip I'd give as well, it'll help mitigate an insulin response and are generally very very sound :D

If you're looking for a strong stim based preworkout then ROS Nutrition Gun powder is a good shout, or if it's more of a mental focus you're after then Jack3d Micro is good.

Oisín

Joe Rogan is always advertising this stuff but having tried it for the last 6 months I found Shroomtech Sport to be very effective.

shroomtech.jpg?w=292&h=292

Each pill is about 15,000% of your rda of B12, not sure what the f*ck that does but I did find that it is great for sustained training (ie a bjj class)

There's no big pump before or crash after, just a sustained energetic feeling (similar to waking up after a good sleep).

Personally, I found all the Onnit products I used to do what they are supposed to.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

I found Musclepharm Assault to be excellent.

The best I've ever tried has to be the Sci-Mx Xplode though, very very similar to Shroomtech Sport, no pump, no crash, just energy.

I never liked pre workouts that makes you feel like you're about to burst, NOxplode by BSN is one of those products, makes me feel like crap.

I have tried the Grenade .50 cal and found that tap water gave me more of a buzz.

Never tried Jack3d, thankfully :P

• Advertisement

That would be similar to how I would use it too. Work a fairly sedentary job so the primary function of it for me is a bit of a kick up the hole energy wise on days I feel particularly tired. Is Platinum Pre available here or is there something prohibited in it?

Cheers do let me know!

The ON rep I've talked to told me they're still undecided about whether or not to bring Pre- out over here. They'd have to change the ingredient profile slightly due to laws here, so it'd be less potent. Also sales in the US aren't as great as they thought they'd be. Since Glanbia bought BSN, they may just decide to market and push N.O. Xplode, i.e. sampling days in gyms and shops and I assume BSN sponsored athletes.

Oisín

Zombienosh aswell.

its just if you want a ibcca product or preworkout, there is a lot better options even from bulksuppliers like bulkpowders.

Originally I tried it for the energy part, but I think now I'm just interested in aminos and will try some other brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Dermighty wrote: »

Joe Rogan is always advertising this stuff but having tried it for the last 6 months I found Shroomtech Sport to be very effective.

shroomtech.jpg?w=292&h=292

Each pill is about 15,000% of your rda of B12, not sure what the f*ck that does but I did find that it is great for sustained training (ie a bjj class)

There's no big pump before or crash after, just a sustained energetic feeling (similar to waking up after a good sleep).

Personally, I found all the Onnit products I used to do what they are supposed to.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

I found Musclepharm Assault to be excellent.

The best I've ever tried has to be the Sci-Mx Xplode though, very very similar to Shroomtech Sport, no pump, no crash, just energy.

I never liked pre workouts that makes you feel like you're about to burst, NOxplode by BSN is one of those products, makes me feel like crap.

I have tried the Grenade .50 cal and found that tap water gave me more of a buzz.

Never tried Jack3d, thankfully :P

That stuff looks class, loaded with ginseng and b12...both very good for energy...also with astagalarus, which is very good for the immune system and fighting man flu. May look at this stuff, how much does it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

What would the myprotein or proteinworks equivalent of Kinetica Lean Gain be?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Kinetica Lean Gain:

Typical per 100g
    Energy 402kcal
    Protein 35.2g
    Carbohydrate 44.1g
    of which sugars 18.4g
    Fat 9.4g
    of which saturates 7.4g
    Dietary Fibre 1.2g

Myprotein Total Gainer seems very similar breakdown:

Typical per 100g
    Energy 411kcal
    Protein 34.0g
    Carbohydrate 46.0g
    of which sugars 9.8g
    Fat 9.8g
    of which saturates 1.6g
    Dietary Fibre 3.3g

Protein works have "The Works" which is similar enough, I think with a higher protein content and lower carbs/fats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks Mike, Kinetica also has l glutamine and creatine.

Will check those particular products you named

Protein works also has total mass matrix

NUTRITION FACTS - PER SERVING

Product is Total Mass Matrix
    Values based on: 115g serving
    Energy (kcal/g) 451
    Energy (kJ/g) 1900
    Protein (dry basis) 42.8
    Carbohydrates (g) 52.2
    Carbohydrates of which Sugars 15.5
    Fat (g) 8.2
    Fat of which Saturates (g) 1.9
    Sodium (mg) 115
    Cholesterol (mg) 62
    Calcium (mg) 382
    Fibre (g) 2.5

Cherry Bakewell

Whey Protein Concentrate
    Pure Fine Oats
    Waxy Maize Starch
    Milk Protein Concentrate
    Calcium Caseinate
    Maltodextrin
    Flax seed
    Natural Flavouring - Cherry Bakewell
    Sweetener (Sucralose®)
    Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs)
    Soy Lecithin (Instantising Agent)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

No bother - I think the protein works one has creatine as well. You can make your own blend there as well, which might suit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Kinetica Lean Gain:

Typical per 100g
    Energy 402kcal
    Protein 35.2g
    Carbohydrate 44.1g
    of which sugars 18.4g
    Fat 9.4g
    of which saturates 7.4g
    Dietary Fibre 1.2g

Myprotein Total Gainer seems very similar breakdown:

Typical per 100g
    Energy 411kcal
    Protein 34.0g
    Carbohydrate 46.0g
    of which sugars 9.8g
    Fat 9.8g
    of which saturates 1.6g
    Dietary Fibre 3.3g

Protein works have "The Works" which is similar enough, I think with a higher protein content and lower carbs/fats.

The myprotein one looks a lot better, lower sugar and more fibre

Advertisement