Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

David McSavage

• 05-12-2019 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

What do people think of him? I don't really find him that funny, I think he's very crude and goes way over the top. He seems quite egotistical and bitter aswell. I think a comedian can be funny without having to push things as far as he does.

Comments

I don't think of him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Loved the savage eye

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I hear he has over 1000 user names on boards...

• Registered Users Posts: 66,816 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No doubt the guy has some comedic talent, but I find his smugness overides any inclination I have to laugh.

Would be more successful writing for somebody else maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I hear he has over 1000 user names on boards...

So that's what a real life troll looks like..aha

• Advertisement

I hate him with the fury of 1000 suns.

Him and Ainsley Harriot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

He's playing in the international there every few weeks to a couple of dozen paying a tenner in. Go in and throw a bit of abuse at him and see how he reacts. Generally not well

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    He's playing in the international there every few weeks to a couple of dozen paying a tenner in. Go in and throw a bit of abuse at him and see how he reacts. Generally not well

I actually got dragged along to one of his gigs some years back, half the time he spends heckling the audience and getting into arguments. I think people laughed more at the awkwardness of his jokes than him being outright funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭enricoh

ricero wrote: »
    Loved the savage eye

Best comedy rte did in a long time, Mick the bull is my hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

What do people think of him? I don't really find him that funny, I think he's very crude and goes way over the top. He seems quite egotistical and bitter aswell. I think a comedian can be funny without having to push things as far as he does.

Not funny whatsoever

Little bit of a problem if you are touting yourself as a stand up comic.

Daddy meant to have been a woeful minister too

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    Best comedy rte did in a long time, Mick the bull is my hero!

He nicked that character from D'unbelievables and made him a homophobic racist hillbilly. The original character was more insightful and funny. Cheap humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

His ‘Savage Eye’ show was incredibly good.

The tide is turning…

sugarman wrote: »
    Hate him, he just puts on stupid accents, pulls stupid faces and shouts his head off. Nothing funny about him or his act.

Amazing how the Andrews name still has such purchase in Ireland.

His ‘Savage Eye’ show was incredibly good.

It was mainly scutter.

That you David ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Was it Degsy who used to hate him with a violent passion, back in the day?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

He nicked that character from D'unbelievables and made him a homophobic racist hillbilly. The original character was more insightful and funny. Cheap humour.

Ah no, that character is based of a fairly well known publican in Dublin and it's pretty spot on tbf.

humberklog wrote: »
    Ah no, that character is based of a fairly well known publican in Dublin and it's pretty spot on tbf.

A well known Publican in Dublin with a Tipperary accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

He is one seriously ugly man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Found his recent radio ad about as funny, as an early winter's morning barefoot sprint across a scattering of lego upon laminate flooring.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Mick the Bull is based on a real person. I run in comedy circles and know the barman of the comedy club who Mick the Bull is based on and it's accurate. I meet McSavage a few times. His nice enough but he seems to hate the audience. This is in small comedy clubs, not sure if his like this for the bigger venue gigs. His burnt a lot of bridges in the comedy world, hence why his back in the clubs.

A lot of the savage eye was John Colleary writing. I saw a pilot McSavage did for RTE where he was playing a version of himself. A sort kinda "Curb your enthusiasm" style show. It was pretty good. Shame it didn't get picked up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I criticized something I saw him do on a thread about him here ages ago. He joined the site and said I didn't know the context or something and he was disappointed as he thought we'd get on. Fairly certain that thread has been deleted since. That was before the Savage Eye, back when he used to make fun of people on Grafton St.

I liked the first season of The Savage Eye. Didn't find it engaging when I saw bits of a later season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

jface187 wrote: »
    I run in comedy circles.

The ministry of silly walks
    walk-monte-python-xhvv985KTwsrm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Saw him in the international once and he was bitter and really unfunny. I walked out and my mates said he was annoyed cos I slammed the fire escape door.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Has he paid his TV license yet?

Just to pre-empt any PM's from odd user names with new registers...I don't think I am funnier than David McSavage. I'm sure I would leave the stage to silence and a nervous wreck if I tried stand up. So fair play to someone who has the cajones to go out and try and entertain people..but as a casual observer I just don't find his brand of humour particularly good, or even original.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Comedy should have no limits as theres far too much reverence given to those in positions of power, McSavage is one of the few irish comics who did actual cutting satire. Having said that his sthick has had it's time and we need something new.

The Bertie era politicians had it far too easy with the likes of Rosenstock having routines more akin to bland platitudes than actual wit.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It was mainly scutter.

That you David ?

You probably didn’t “get it”, B.

Too cerebral for you. Stick to the Roy “Chubby” Brown stuff, you festering cockwomble.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The Savage Eye was a fantastic show, it was vicious and pulled no punches, but he obviously wasn't the only person involved or even the main brain behind it all because his solo comedy is witless and unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The radio sketches on the savage eye were brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Hate him with a passion. Isn't he tubridys cousin or something?

Advertisement