Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Take the money or report the crime!

• 05-12-2019 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,143 ✭✭✭✭

You are involved in an incident when a high profile, wealthy, etc person inures you in some way.
    If you report the incident there career is over and you'll get your day in court and see them sentenced.(You'd might get a bit of cash for doing an interview).
    Your second option is to keep your mouth shut and receive a large lump sum of money.

I'd be tempted enough to take the money to be honest if I felt the person wasn't a serious of a risk of re offending.(I'm terrible I know).

So, would you take the money or report the crime?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

What did McGregor do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

McGregor, drag him through the courts no matter what, hateful knuckle dragger

Anyone else, it depends.

Whichever benefits me the most - the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

You are involved in an incident when a high profile, wealthy, etc person inures you in some way.
    If you report the incident there career is over and you'll get your day in court and see them sentenced.(You'd might get a bit of cash for doing an interview).
    Your second option is to keep your mouth shut and receive a large lump sum of money.

I'd be tempted enough to take the money to be honest if I felt the person wasn't a serious of a risk of re offending.(I'm terrible I know).

fools are easily bought ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

My first thought, 'cos I'm evil, is blackmail them for decades with the info. Probably not a good idea though as they would lose patience sooner or later and you'd be the one more likely to end up in prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

Depends on the crime, if they are going to reoffend and potentially cause serious harm to someone else then court. Otherwise I'd take the money

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'd rather discredit them money comes and money goes but infimy is infinite

• Registered Users Posts: 30,143 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

reg114 wrote: »
    fools are easily bought ...

I know. I'd rather have a new car for the mother tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I think if it was sexual assault, you'd have to seek justice, maybe the money would come after, civil courts etc. Especially if you knew the person had done it before and would probably do it again.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

You are duty bound by law to report it.

And in all fairness if it was mcgregor I'd be reporting straight away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

This is Ireland, home of the personal injury claim. You can do both.

Unless it was something very very bad I wouldn’t even think twice I’d be taking the money without hesitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Without hesitation I would report the crime. Taking money is no better than the judges who let people get away without a criminal record by ordering a payment to the poor box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Beau Bennett

Yeah OP, what more use could money be than the gratification of standing proud in front of the bathroom mirror each morning repeating to yourself "fools are easily bought."

The money every time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Keep your mouth shut and take the money. Then when you have the money, report them. Best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Money money money, fcuk morals

• Registered Users Posts: 39,485 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You are duty bound by law to report it.

Which law is that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Sounds like Epstien, Michael Jackson, Jimi Saville, Paul Gadd, Weinstein style offences where people were afraid to report the abuses because of the abusers power and wealth.

Without hesitation I would report the crime. Taking money is no better than the judges who let people get away without a criminal record by ordering a payment to the poor box.

I think your own financial and life situation may influence this decision.

For me a large sum of money now would set me up for many years to come, mean I’d need a significantly smaller mortgage etc. This is would be far better than any “good feeling” from reporting.

There would be exceptions but only the absolute worst of crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Sounds like Epstien, Michael Jackson, Jimi Saville, Paul Gadd, Weinstein style offences where people were afraid to report the abuses because of the abusers power and wealth.

Jackson? Apart from his odd behaviour and addiction to painkilling drugs, there's literally not one shread of evidence he done anything, pure speculation. Until I see anything credible against him, I'll reserve any judgement in relation to him on that matter.

The rest = Wouldn't even wipe my arse with them*

*Nice to see someone call that odious creature by his real name and not his stage name!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I'd report them. Not because I'm a brilliant person or anything but because I'd feel guilty and go mad like in that film A Simple Plan.

Report the crime!

Justice would be all I care about. Money and lying is not a substitute for a sound mind and conscience

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

MOR316 wrote: »
    Report the crime!

Justice would be all I care about. Money and lying is not a substitute for a sound mind and conscience

You can't fill your belly with a slice of conscience.

Take the money and then report them anyway. The type of NDA these people make you sign....... illegal behaviour NDA's...... aren't legally binding. You wouldn't get in trouble.

Have your cake and eat it too.

Kirby wrote: »
    Take the money and then report them anyway. The type of NDA these people make you sign....... illegal behaviour NDA's...... aren't legally binding. You wouldn't get in trouble.

Have your cake and eat it too.

Reminds of the Father Ted Christmas episode...

"BIZARRE IREGGULARITIES IN HIS ACCOUNT"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Depends on the crime.

If a high profile sports star gave me a box cos i didn't want his whisky say (to us one wildly implausible, entirely imagined scenario) I'll have the money thanks.

In fact if you're reading Conor - i'm available to call your whisky horse piss at the drop of a hat, just name the time and place.....and eh, bring your cheque book with you:D

If he was all rapey again, then there's just not enough money in the world to buy me off.

MOR316 wrote: »
    Jackson? Apart from his odd behaviour and addiction to painkilling drugs, there's literally not one shread of evidence he done anything, pure speculation. Until I see anything credible against him, I'll reserve any judgement in relation to him on that matter.

The rest = Wouldn't even wipe my arse with them*

*Nice to see someone call that odious creature by his real name and not his stage name!

Plus 100. I don’t believe a word of any of the bull sprouted about MJ. He has his problems due to his childhood but I don’t believe he did a thing wrong in relation to kids etc. Sick of reading people jumping on the bandwagon against him.

An absolute music legend.

Plus 100. I don’t believe a word of any of the bull sprouted about MJ. He has his problems due to his childhood but I don’t believe he did a thing wrong in relation to kids etc. Sick of reading people jumping on the bandwagon against him.

An absolute music legend.

Not about his music for me.
    I used to believe it and then I read up on it. Court documents, private phone calls etc. Clear as day he's been taken to the cleaners.

I'm genuinely angry at LN. The acting in it, the editing of clips to make it look bad, the inconsistent lies, going against everything they said in their depostions, the director making homophobic and racial slurs/tweets. All of it just takes away from true CSA survivors and makes a mockery of it. Disgusting and unforgivable!! There is a clip of his lawyer talking about suing an Airline for filming him and the director edited it, making it look like he was threatening Children??
    As I said, fraudlent and disgraceful!

Anyways, moving on...

Can we get an example of a crime from the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Michael Jackson is a perfect example of what the OP is about. Payouts of £130 million plus to children he slept with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'd take the money, someone being thrown in prison or dragged through our farcical justice system and getting off on a technicality is pointless, I may as well benefit from it as best I can.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Michael Jackson is a perfect example of what the OP is about. Payouts of £130 million plus to children he slept with.

Please, stop believing in the bull being fed to you. I don’t believe a single word from any source claiming he did a single thing wrong to any child. Yet another box ticked in the list of outlandish views you have.

It’s actually disgraceful the way MJ is treated by the plebs believing what is said about him.

Advertisement