Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do people have children that they can't afford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Cause they're idiots who won't wear a Johnny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

They will keep spitting them out as long as the taxpayers will pay for them. Which your elected members seem to keep supporting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭2pacshakur

They will keep spitting them out as long as the taxpayers will pay for them. Which your elected members seem to keep supporting.

U okay Hun?

2pacshakur wrote: »
    U okay Hun?

I'm good thanks how you doing?

I'm good thanks how you doing?

Waiting to pop out me 6th child to get an even bigger house and more child support.

• Advertisement

2pacshakur wrote: »
    Waiting to pop out me 6th child to get an even bigger house and more child support.

Sadly that is what happens here and you can make light heartened of it.Travellers and those who refuse to be a part of society are awarded more benefits than those who work and contribute. Anything different you state has no bearings on the facts.

Sorry sweetheart but your government has time and tested that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

If its 'the game' or the system. Why aren't we all abusing it?

Why is it often more likely to be a lady like Margaret Cash?

No, I won't stop judging/disliking people who purposely grow up intending to sit on their hole with their hand out, then cry when their free house gets taken away from them after twenty years because they 'deserved' it

I was lucky enough to be born into a family where everyone worked full time, went to college, etc so I do the exact same.

But your family is no excuse, I have friends that went on to college and to be a contributing member of society, who's family never worked or went to college and lived in council estates all their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Kk333

The taxes pay for all children since all parents are entitled to children's allowance. If you take children's allowance then and are against welfare, logically you are a hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

This whole part of society has evolved now to a very important voting block. Over 1 million people recieved the Christmas bonus, sure some of them are pensioners and worthy recipients, however FFG are keen to also keep the rest onside.

riemann wrote: »
    This whole part of society has evolved now to a very important voting block. Over 1 million people recieved the Christmas bonus, sure some of them are pensioners and worthy recipients, however FFG are keen to also keep the rest onside.

170,000 are jobseekers. So most are worthy recipients. The rest are in country economics a drop in the ocean. Be like you and me giving a euro to a guy on the street. It wouldn't make a difference to anyone's take home pay whether they get it or not. Taxes would stay the same, so this begrudgery is just holier then thou tripe. In actual fact cutting the xmas bonus would take tens of thousands out of local economies for christmas and put pressure on charities etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

If its 'the game' or the system. Why aren't we all abusing it?

Why is it often more likely to be a lady like Margaret Cash?

Because it's all bollox that's why.

Most of the posters here wouldn't get far if they wanted to "game the system".

They'd quit their jobs, go to the social and be told "heres your 188 quid a week, now f*ck off", "Free house? Not a chance. You get a bed in a hostel if you're lucky"

Margaret Cash might be the exception, but she's still living in a crappy 3 bed house in Tallaght with 7 kids. It's like something from Angela's Ashes. I wouldn't live there if the council paid me to and I doubt many other's would too.

We all know people who went straight on the dole after school and they're still living in the same estate doing the same sh*t now as they were 10 years ago. All this "Jetting off on foreign holidays, driving new cars" is more bollox. "Oh the travellers are driving round in 191 Transits!" Yeah, but their whole family is living in a steel box on the side of the road.

It's just an excuse to b*tch and moan and look down on people to make yourself feel better.

Kk333 wrote: »
    The taxes pay for all children since all parents are entitled to children's allowance. If you take children's allowance then and are against welfare, logically you are a hypocrite.

Not so, your welfare pays so much towards each child born. So that in itself could be lucrative to a single mother in a council house who pays very low rent. Add in the father drawing dole on top of all that. They end up making more than hardworking people, for nothing.

Not so, your welfare pays so much towards each child born. So that in itself could be lucrative to a single mother in a council house who pays very low rent. Add in the father drawing dole on top of all that. They end up making more than hardworking people, for nothing.

Please dont put rent and a council house in the same sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Maybe in certain circumstances, like when childcare, rent and mortgage is factored in, does a single parent on welfare come out better than a single parent in a low paid job, but for the vast vast majority, you're far better working than not. But on the whole, over your life, everyone is vastly better off working than not.

It's completely untrue to suggest otherwise.

In fairness, there are plenty of educated women who leave the workforce to mind children and claim benefits anyways, so it's a moot point regardless.

You miss my point. If you are against social welfare, while at the same time claim, or have claimed children's allowance you are a hypocrite as it is a social welfare payment.

Padre_Pio wrote: »

They'd quit their jobs, go to the social and be told "heres your 188 quid a week, now f*ck off", "Free house? Not a chance. You get a bed in a hostel if you're lucky"

Margaret Cash might be the exception, but she's still living in a crappy 3 bed house in Tallaght with 7 kids. It's like something from Angela's Ashes. I wouldn't live there if the council paid me to and I doubt many other's would too.

We all know people who went straight on the dole after school and they're still living in the same estate doing the same sh*t now as they were 10 years ago. All this "Jetting off on foreign holidays, driving new cars" is more bollox. "Oh the travellers are driving round in 191 Transits!" Yeah, but their whole family is living in a steel box on the side of the road.

It's just an excuse to b*tch and moan and look down on people to make yourself feel better.

Best post iv seen here. Ireland is a nation of moaners and begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Because life and the universe does not follow your ****ty rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

The whole system of Social Welfare does needs an overhaul. Can you please refer to all parties involved from Govt agencies to recipients in a civil manner.

Post removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Why can't people afford to have children?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Best post iv seen here. Ireland is a nation of moaners and begrudgers.

Yes agree , would u really do it 6/7 kids all different fathers there even different colours nowadays !
    The thought of it alone ,some of these are on first name basis with maternity staff in the hospitals !
    Travellers are the worst, trailer full of kids and they still manage to have there adult play !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

When we all get our trickle down cheques from rising asset prices, we ll be able to populate the planet at will

Because they're being idiotic with their lives. I've had enough with this misplaced sympathy and pandering to laziness.

There are heaps of opportunities in Ireland to get an education or upskill to set yourself up for a different profession. There are jobs in Ireland for those who want to avail of them... it's just that many people don't have the skillset for them. Whose fault is that? Theirs.

Or they can go abroad for a few years, get some experience, work, save some money, and then return to have a family. There are loads of countries both within Europe and outside of it which are far less costly, along with educational programs as part of the EU which can be accessed. Hell, they could get a job abroad, and pay for their own education in an area that would employ them for the next few decades.

The fact is that most of the people involved don't want to change the lives they have. It might be a crappy life, but it's the one they have, and By God! they're not going to be forced to change due to minor issue like a lack of decent income.

I originally left Ireland because I couldn't get work during the recession, and I needed to pay my mortgage or pay outstanding debts. I left for Australia, and since moved to China because there's more work here, and it's a far cheaper standard of living. Since then, I've worked, gained a MBA, and a degree in Psychology. I've worked in a variety of jobs, and I could start a family now if I wanted to. I've paid off the majority of my mortgage, and have managed to create actual savings, which would have been a struggle to do during the recession and afterwards. I return to Ireland a few times a year to be with my family, but it makes financial sense to live in China where I can afford a decent lifestyle while saving money too.

I really wish Irish people would take a harder stance towards people who refuse to change. You can provide heaps of educational programs (admittedly many of which are currently useless or outdated) but they won't be used until society tells these people that there's no more handouts. Get out the cattle prods and push people into upskilling. Tie their benefits to their ability to succeed... if they fail, put them on the minimum benefits available... and if they continue to have children, take the children away from them without providing the parents any further benefits. There's plenty of people in Ireland and Europe who want to adopt children... give the children the chance to grow up in a family that can actually provide for them rather than it being the State.

A welfare state breeds people who will depend on that very welfare existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Ireland is a nation of moaners and begrudgers.

...he moaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

So would most of us.

Be happy we live in a fantastic first world country.

Some of us except more from people, stop wiping the arse of tinker mums, allow them to make mistakes and successes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Another Journal.ie hack looking for an article idea. Come on lads, you can do better. Perhaps go work for Irish Water?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

She has a horse in the garden too, no word of a lie. Margaret isn't short of cash, no pun intended. She said as much herself and her mother was no fool she made sure the big chunk of money she left Margaret when she reaches an age where the means test won't affect her benefit payments. There's a local jewelers closing down near me, they did very well from the Traveling community in Clare catering to the huge crystal ornaments and the china knick knacks that they love.

They're doing offers on crystal at the moment and the local Travelers are tripping over each other trying to stock up on stuff. How does someone on 200 euro a week afford to be buying 100 euro a pop crystal photo frames and figurines that start at 200 euro? Nobody is looking down on people, people are sick and tired of paying for these lazy bastards. Work should pay, benefits should be the bare minimum.

She's far from done with the childbearing and the media were complicit in hiding the fact that her husband is a violent repeat offender who was in prison at the time she first appeared on the scene. Lovely family, imagine them rocking up in your street and then honestly tell us you'd have no problem with it. The only people who don't mind them living near them is our President and several of his challengers.

You miss my point. If you are against social welfare, while at the same time claim, or have claimed children's allowance you are a hypocrite as it is a social welfare payment.
    I've never used your welfare system while living here nor do I need/want to.I worked all my life, lived within my means, and raised my children without expecting someone else to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Bump!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Strumms wrote: »
    People who have amassed serious wealth often do so through hard work. Almost always in fact.

If we are in a situation where we are penalizing and even more heavily taxing people who have wealth to ‘pay’ for people who don’t want to get out of bed and off their arses and directly contribute to society we are not giving any incentive for people to take responsibility for their own lives and wellbeing...

Social welfare isn’t going to bring you an excellent quality of life no, it’s meant as a stopgap to help people who are between jobs for whatever reason, people who have health issues, left or been forced out of jobs etc....

Social welfare is not designed or should it be as a lifestyle enabler, not too many people are jumping on planes to spend a five star week in Dubai off what they get on the dole.... if they want that lifestyle do they say... “ hey, there should be a holiday fund where I can reap the benefits of sitting on my hole and other people working hard to pay for my lifestyle “ OR... “this actually sucks, I’m going to get up, retrain, get a job, work hard, contribute and in a couple of years I’m going to be paying for my own holidays, nice car, own apartment AND making my own tax contributions that help pay for the running of the state and for the wellbeing financially and personally of people who fell on hard times like I did...

Mightn’t get rich off the dole but you have a good base income for doing nothing especially when you have 5 or 6 kids and a practically free house.
    Small bit of drug dealing and shop lifting and your way better off financially than the couple next door going to work every day .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Mightn’t get rich off the dole but you have a good base income for doing nothing especially when you have 5 or 6 kids and a practically free house.
    Small bit of drug dealing and shop lifting and your way better off financially than the couple next door going to work every day .

What a life to aspire to! Even in a practically free house parenting 5 or 6 kids is a fulltime job in itself. Not sure now but there used to be a fair few students signing on and going to college. I'm sure there's plenty of dole scroungers dealing, thieving, scamming etc but it's difficult to generalise because that might be racist, discriminatory, defamatory, whatever the November 2019 term is for offending some people :eek:

But try signing on for a few months and week by week yur self respect dwindles and your head turns to mush, particularly if the Adrian Kennedy line is too busy. As bad as your current job might be, it's better than no job. Looking at 4 walls will eventually send you into depression. Plenty, for sure, are living it up on the dole, but plenty are having a miserable existence. As them Python lads used to say try looking on the bright side.

Advertisement