Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hide (chat thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Did anyone watch David Attenborough's "Nature's Great Events" this evening?
    The sardine run off the South African coast.... sardines, dolphins, gannets, sharks and whales all at once! It was an absolutely incredible spectacle:eek:

I can't see it on the rte player and can't access the BBC one. Here's a very short taster of it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

One of the papers gave away the whole series on DVD a year or two back.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Ditch wrote: »
    Ahh. Sorry. I had the impression the pred' had eaten the head. Decapitation smacks of a Dog, to me. That's just based on strictly personal experience. I've never known anything else to take a head away and drop it ~ unless ye've more 'new' information up ye sleeve for us ....?

Mink? It's a fallacy that ye only find them beside water. Bucks, especially, will roam for miles across land. Just like otters. Only, mink don't tend to bite off the head. They'd eat it away.

Didn't the hundred yards of tracks suggest to ye what it was?

Oooops, didn't mean to make this a Sherlock Holmes case-I didn't explain myself so well the 1st time! The poor old head wasn't "dropped" 'twas gone with the footprints!! These were small enough from what I could see on the ditch, smaller than a dog, so we are possibly back to an impatient fox or your mink as a cat would never carry it that far. If it wasn't for the snow, I would never have known how far it went.
    Thanks for all ye r input, sure tis gone now and I have my "looney-tune" dog to keep me busy instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

littlebug wrote: »
    The sardine run off the South African coast.... sardines, dolphins, gannets, sharks and whales all at once! It was an absolutely incredible spectacle:eek:

I can't see it on the rte player and can't access the BBC one. Here's a very short taster of it on youtube.

It was excellent wasn't it but I think that I'll feel guilty now every time I eat a tin of sardines - poor beggars! And who would have thought those nice cuddly seals could be so predatory when it comes to young gannets. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

the first time i watched this i nearly shat myself.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=quwebVjAEJA

they had a clip at the end of it on bbc, showing how close the camera man came to getting swallowed.
    apparently they sometimes grab birds from the surface but release them after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

My swans are nest building...:)
    Never seen this in February before

and on another note, mighty wet and windy tonight

It's a very mild 14.6C out at moment. This could stir things out of hiibernation. It wouldn't surprise me to see a Bumble Bee at a crocus and such like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

I was glued to it - would love to see this in real life. It is the most amazing thing ever. The said that thousands of dolphins are in that hunt!! funny how all these things go on and without discovery we would never even know:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Mothman wrote: »
    My swans are nest building...:)
    Never seen this in February before

and on another note, mighty wet and windy tonight

That is early!! Maybe they are making up for last year? Not very scientific, but I did notice a drop in the number of cygnets last year. Anybody else think so too?

I've just been looking out at my garden waiting for the trampoline to crash into the kitchen window :eek: and realised what a bloomin mess the whole garden is. I think I've lost a lot to the frost so I have some work to do. Ah well.. maybe I can put some more thought into replanting to attract more wildlife... though it won't be on FaL's scale :p

Suggestions welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

I've just been looking out at my garden waiting for the trampoline to crash into the kitchen window :eek:

412e026e.gifThat cracked me up! :D Perfectly summarises it though, doesn't it? I was eyeing up the 'drunk' tree again earlier. P!ssed as Piza and only there because a skinny little thing next to it's holding it up.

I've never yet quite convinced it won't reach those power lines, if she goes ..... :(

Bloody Hell!!! With that, I've stopped to have another look at it. It's swaying like I don't know what! I don't know how much longer that one's gonna hold the ground.

Doesn't bother me. Not my tree. But, I don't much fancy those lines coming down! (Do they really lash about like angry snakes, sparks crackling at the ends of them, like in the films? Scary prospect! :eek:)

Anyway, I digress ..... LittleBug; Get some boxes up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Doesn't bother me. Not my tree. But, I don't much fancy those lines coming down! (Do they really lash about like angry snakes, sparks crackling at the ends of them, like in the films? Scary prospect! :eek:)

If it's one of the 10/20,000 volt lines it will make an ear splitting bang and bright flash but probably won't do the snake thing as they usually trip a fuse along the line. Whatever you do don't go near it , even if it's not sparking, there are no second chances with that amount of power.

BTW where are you getting the brilliant smilies?

Word...

Horror! No fear! No Way would I be getting near one of those things! Jesus; That SOB ever breaks? I'm locking my Dogs in a room, fetching my horses in here and calling the electric people to come sort it out.

I want to paint this place soon. Only, I have these things on the gable wall out there, were my electric comes from? I've been pondering this for years now: Dare I get near those things? I'm scared to death of them. Might pay someone to paint that bit of wall.

My smileys? I'm a bugger for them! :D Can never resist a good smiley. I just nick 'em. You can too. I use Firefox. I right click a smiley. Save image as. Load that up to my Photobucket and then copy the BB and HTML codes to notepad, which I keep on my desk top ~ saves me having to constantly open and search through the bucket.

So, if ye like, say, " 412e026e.gif "? Help yeself. Or, be bone lazy. Just copy this " http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n201/ptpc/412e026e.gif " and enter it into the box we get for showing an image. That's all I'm doing thgrinning-smiley-003.gif

boneless wrote: »
    That is early!! Maybe they are making up for last year? Not very scientific, but I did notice a drop in the number of cygnets last year. Anybody else think so too?
    Plenty Cygnets with me last year with 4 making it to Autumn

Moved mine and Ditch's last posts to the nest box thread... I thought they were off topic in here.... in the off topic thread :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

I want to paint this place soon. Only, I have these things on the gable wall out there, were my electric comes from? I've been pondering this for years now: Dare I get near those things? I'm scared to death of them. Might pay someone to paint that bit of wall.

If it's two separate wires going to insulators on your gable then send up the wife or hired help for the painting ;)
    If it's just a single line, the more modern bundle, then it will be grand, if you don't swing off it or stick your tongue in the connection.

Thanks for the smilies, when I figure them out I'm going to pepper the A/R/T forum with them :D

Git101 wrote: »
    If it's two separate wires going to insulators on your gable then send up the wife or hired help for the painting ;)

eusa_doh.gif That's all I need then! Just been and looked: Two separate, big wires coming to two antiquated and sinister looking insulators. Scared now :(

Do you know what? Today feels like the first day of spring to me :)!! What a glorious day!

Do you know what? Today feels like the first day of spring to me :)!! What a glorious day!
    I had a very frosty start, but saw first Bumble Bee of season today.
    My swans have left for now, probably to get their fix of Johnson, Mooney and O'Brien....

ya whah now? I was slipping and sliding all over the place out at 8am. The rest of the day was just cold and drizzly :(

This evening I was driving (very slowly) over quincentennial bridge watching a huge group (murder ;)) of crows... i'd swear they formed a heart shape at one point:D It put a smile on my face after an otherwise horribly stressful day :)

• Advertisement

ya whah now? I was slipping and sliding all over the place out at 8am. The rest of the day was just cold and drizzly :(

This evening I was driving (very slowly) over quincentennial bridge watching a huge group (murder ;)) of crows... i'd swear they formed a heart shape at one point:D It put a smile on my face after an otherwise horribly stressful day :)

We had some nice mild air, after a frosty start alright, in the Capital yesterday :). And the chill was not in my old bones which had been there all winter....

my old bones

:confused:What bones?

:confused:What bones?

If you read it again you'll see that he says that the chill was not in his bones which had been there all winter.... implying that the bones are not there anymore... thus he's boneless :p

:D Actually; " Boneless ", I think, struck such a chord with me because ~ aside from what he said ~ because I still almost wet myself when remembering a certain 'Troll' post which I read else where!

It concerned some utter nonsense about, " My Dog Has No Bones ..... "

Best bit of complete nonsense I've ever read on line. The handle, " Boneless ", reminded me of it and made me 'laugh'. Plus, the person behind the handle genuinely just seems a good egg ;)

^^^ I have bad bones :D! They may as well not be there... and I'm a real mean person!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

did anyone see Eden last night with Attenborough and the bower birds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPbWJPsBPdA

aren't they amazing little birds?:)

So; It was you?!? God, I could've throttled ye today! Your pronouncement has haunted me since I read it! :D

Day ye've come out with that? I'm taking a hay delivery and discussing the peeing in rain in my shed, just as the heavens opened ~ again and illustrated my point.

Today? Out in search of 'Spring', I've been creeping and cringing about in The Most merciless south westerly flurry of razor blades! It was Freezing out there! icon_eek.gif

And, all the time, I'm thinking about that happy wombat who seemed to have found personal Nirvana, a few days ago :rolleyes:

Buy ye a drink some time, Boneless! :D

It's a glorious glorious morning here! I've just had a long walk past the past the turlough. I could hear lots of birds but not see them as it was still quite misty out there but the sounds were great.... I could make out lapwing and whooper in the distance but couldn't figure anything else out bar various ducks and squawks! I was also hearing lots of coal tit song around... probably because it's one of the few that I recognise.
    Best thing of all this morning was that the dog tried to play with other dogs we met instead of trying to kill them. Progress!!

I recently got a dog, still need to make sure it doesn't kill our hens.....but then hens eat frogs....
    I'm sure our dog knows to leave the hens alone, but not not totally 100% that the instinct may not take over.
    it's not a dog killer though;)

• Advertisement

What Dogs ye got, peeps? Got five here. My life revolves around my Dogs :)

Advertisement