Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do people have children that they can't afford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

blueshade wrote: »
    Yeah, the cut off is when the youngest is 8 now, I think. Someone I know just had their second kid with a different daddy, he just turned 9 this Summer. The boyfriend pretends he lives in his own 4 bedroom house which he rents out rooms in when he actually lives out of a suitcase with her. Been going on for 3 years, so he's cashing in on the rental and she's getting her benefits and her rent allowance and not doing a tap of work since she was in her 20's, despite being healthy. She's been getting away with the bogus single mammy thing for a while now.

Report her and him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Pmacv1 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people complain about the cost of childcare, when abortions are free.

They might kinda ehhhhh! Love them, like. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Lads, instead of constantly giving out on a forum, why don't you report them
    Rat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

blueshade wrote: »
    Yeah, the cut off is when the youngest is 8 now, I think. Someone I know just had their second kid with a different daddy, he just turned 9 this Summer. The boyfriend pretends he lives in his own 4 bedroom house which he rents out rooms in when he actually lives out of a suitcase with her. Been going on for 3 years, so he's cashing in on the rental and she's getting her benefits and her rent allowance and not doing a tap of work since she was in her 20's, despite being healthy. She's been getting away with the bogus single mammy thing for a while now.

So why not report them to Revenue/Social Welfare??? No point complaining about it when you can actually do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

What an array of prejudice there is on here. Anyone heard of judge not lest you should be judged? If you posted similarly about ethnic minorities or emigrants all hell would break loose but vulnerable single mothers are fair game. Try to have a bit of compassion, it’s nearly Christmas after all....... oh wait.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

What an array of prejudice there is on here. Anyone heard of judge not lest you should be judged? If you posted similarly about ethnic minorities or emigrants all hell would break loose but vulnerable single mothers are fair game. Try to have a bit of compassion, it’s nearly Christmas after all....... oh wait.....

What is prejudiced about saying I don’t want my taxes drained indefinitely by some walking pregnancy machine? 2 kids and allowance for both is more than enough for most families, someone on the dole who has never and will never contribute a cent to the country popping out 7 kids and potentially more (and watching their payments stack up) is simply unacceptable. Why should we pay for those people to lie on their back and take take take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Having less/no children is the first thing people should be doing for the planet/climate. Then no driving, less long haul flights, becoming vegan.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Having less/no children is the first thing people should be doing for the planet/climate. Then no driving, less long haul flights, becoming vegan.

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I'm more concerned about people who start threads that no one wants to read or that have already been done a thousand times. Between this bloke and mr fegelien it's just a wasteland of useless threads.

We need a system to tackle this.

Start a few threads yourself, dude. That goes for the backseat moderators in general. Real bang of Statler and Waldorf off the place - tut tutting about how bad the place has got while doing nothing about it themselves.

Yawn.

Wake up. Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

When I was growing up a traveller family moved to our area and they had 20 ( yes 20) children around 1964-65 , the 20 got married to relations and went on to have average 7 each ( 140 total ).....the 140 have kicked off now having at least 5 each for those on the baby(welfare) path...so looking at 700 there...the original mother is still alive and could have 840 children, grandchildren and great grand children soon.....
    And of course none of them work and all have houses..and many of them have had 2 or 3 personal injury claims even the children ..its a great country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

LuasSimon wrote: »
    When I was growing up a traveller family moved to our area and they had 20 ( yes 20) children around 1964-65 , the 20 got married to relations and went on to have average 7 each ( 140 total ).....the 140 have kicked off now having at least 5 each for those on the baby(welfare) path...so looking at 700 there...the original mother is still alive and could have 840 children, grandchildren and great grand children soon.....
    And of course none of them work and all have houses..and many of them have had 2 or 3 personal injury claims even the children ..its a great country.

It’s either the climate or the generous welfare, but the work shy pond rat seems to be the only one to thrive in this great country of ours.
    Them and politicians.
    Nests of them in every community breeding.
    The rest of us are left to work our boll1x off and have our home’s broken into by said pond rats while we are at work.
    These dark evenings are suiting the work shy pond rat for a bit of prowling too while paddy Irishman looks on afraid to open his mouth.
    Any fcuker on the dole for over 6 months while being fit to work, should be drafted into the army and made put in a 39 hour week there to earn their “entitlements”.
    Beats having them going around prowling with time on their hands.
    A fcukin jokeshop of a country.
    Another haunt of our local pond rat is the bookies spending the day betting on the powerball.
    Where do they get the money to fund that sh1te hawking.

Fcukin jokeshop the lot of it

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Wake up. Jesus.

I would rather guide my father in to my mother than give up my car, cut the legs out from under my standard of living or turn in to a ****ing vegan. You and your climate pals are the ones that need to wake up. Come back when you have some realistic suggestions that aren’t complete bollixology.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

LuasSimon wrote: »

From 1964 ? You've been obsessing over them way too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I would rather guide my father in to my mother than give up my car, cut the legs out from under my standard of living or turn in to a ****ing vegan. You and your climate pals are the ones that need to wake up. Come back when you have some realistic suggestions that aren’t complete bollixology.

Don't guide your father in to your mother, we need less kids. He's absolutely right about the kids bit but I suspect from your overreaction, you're not for turning.

And you don't turn into a vegan, its not f*cking Stars in Their Eyes.
    It’s either the climate or the generous welfare, but the work shy pond rat seems to be the only one to thrive in this great country of ours.
    Them and politicians.
    Nests of them in every community breeding.
    The rest of us are left to work our boll1x off and have our home’s broken into by said pond rats while we are at work.
    These dark evenings are suiting the work shy pond rat for a bit of prowling too while paddy Irishman looks on afraid to open his mouth.
    Any fcuker on the dole for over 6 months while being fit to work, should be drafted into the army and made put in a 39 hour week there to earn their “entitlements”.
    Beats having them going around prowling with time on their hands.
    A fcukin jokeshop of a country.
    Another haunt of our local pond rat is the bookies spending the day betting on the powerball.
    Where do they get the money to fund that sh1te hawking.

Fcukin jokeshop the lot of it

Find it hard to disagree with any of that. Would be easy to but not when you see examples of it playing out in real life every single day. Pubs and bookies are only open during office hours because someone is frequenting them.

Ah yeah. Continue your standard of living and fk up everyone else for generations. Good man yourself. Great legacy. Seriously hope you are in the minority or we are all fked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

As a man with children almost into double figures i don't know if i should laugh or be offended at the thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

who else is dancing to the beat of heaven 17 this morning? I've taken off my shoes and am shimmying the linoleum, feel so happy today

Andreas77 wrote: »
    who else is dancing to the beat of heaven 17 this morning, I've taken off my shoes and am shimmying around, feel so happy today

Nah! I'm dancing to this

It doesn't matter the tune, just follow the serpent my friend, music is a very special gift, I am sending you a lot of positive energy today, today will be very special for you

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Report her and him

I don't hate them that much. I do think that the Social Welfare should be taking a much bigger interest in single mammies with multiple kiddies though. They aren't making these babies by themselves and the fathers should be paying for their kids. Getting the benefits and pretending to be a single parent while the father is living with you out of a suitcase is taking the piss. Says it all to me that she's willing to have a kid with the guy but not risk moving in to his nice big house and losing her benefits.

It doesn't matter the tune, just follow the serpent my friend, music is a very special gift, I am sending you a lot of positive energy today, today will be very special for you

Pity you can't send me Shirley Manson :(

A very fine woman, and may I suggest, very dirty in the sack, a real trash talker :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Because people think having a child is an automatic human right.

A very fine woman, and may I suggest, very dirty in the sack, a real trash talker :p

Ah ya, make my day a bloody misery now, as if the weather wasn't bad enough here :(:p

Antares35 wrote: »
    Because people think having a child is an automatic human right.

Well the gubberment has no right to control the reproductive organs of anyone in Ireland unless by court order, in which case the person wouldn't have the capacity to care for a child. Look at it this way, having lots of children has incentives, you get paid for each one of them, more on top of that for multiple births. As long as that incentive is there you will always have a section of society who would rather ride like rabbits than work. As a fella once told me, if there was work in the bed i'd sleep on the floor, he never knew how big my family was :pac:

That's quite offensive.

If we had decided on our children based on our means at the time some of our children would not now exist as adults working n jobs they love as teachers, nurses, social workers etc and with kids of their own in happy relationships. We scrimped and did without for many years but they had happy childhoods and great lives. Had we analysed it just in the cold light of affordability all our lives would now be all the poorer for it.

I don't think that's what people are raising an issue with. It's having them and expecting everyone else to support you.

Well the gubberment has no right to control the reproductive organs of anyone in Ireland unless by court order, in which case the person wouldn't have the capacity to care for a child. Look at it this way, having lots of children has incentives, you get paid for each one of them, more on top of that for multiple births. As long as that incentive is there you will always have a section of society who would rather ride like rabbits than work. As a fella once told me, if there was work in the bed i'd sleep on the floor, he never knew how big my family was :pac:

True, but they could stop incentivising the use of their reproductive organs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Pmacv1 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people complain about the cost of childcare, when abortions are free.

Abortion has nothing to do with childcare
    Motorists complain about the cost of fuel, cycling is realtivly free i dont see your point..it completely ignores reality and paints life as black and white which its not.

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »
    True, but they could stop incentivising the use of their reproductive organs :D

I don't disagree with you, only problem you have is it would create a political storm akin to the medical card fiasco with the pensioners.

Advertisement