Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are Aces welcome here?

• 29-08-2019 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Actually are there any even here? (Ireland/Dublin - I imagine there must be..) Just moved to town and have gotten confused looks from the few people I dared mention it to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

I would say I'm demi, but I think there's very little understanding of the sexual/asexual spectrum even within the community

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

I run a group of over 5000 aces on FB. You would have better luck on FB than here. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

You're not alone! Hello!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

<
    Tennis forum

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Mod note: There's no need for smart comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

TornadoAli wrote: »
    Actually are there any even here? (Ireland/Dublin - I imagine there must be..) Just moved to town and have gotten confused looks from the few people I dared mention it to.

Excuse my ignorance , but what are "aces"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    Asexual - no sexual attraction to other people. Does not mean you are antisocial or can't love, you just don't have a sexual drive towards other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Us old timers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

J_E wrote: »
    Asexual - no sexual attraction to other people. Does not mean you are antisocial or can't love, you just don't have a sexual drive towards other people.

It's even more nuanced than that. Gray ace; demi; aro ace, etc.

Crazy stuff

All hail Todd

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's even more nuanced than that. Gray ace; demi; aro ace, etc.

Crazy stuff

All hail Todd

I think we shouldny assume that everyone knows all the terminology around asexuality. J_E was answering "what is ace" and was trying to to explain it to to people who know very little about the area. It might be helpful if you explained what gray ace, demi and aro ace are

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

I think we shouldny assume that everyone knows all the terminology around asexuality. J_E was answering "what is ace" and was trying to to explain it to to people who know very little about the area. It might be helpful if you explained what gray ace, demi and aro ace are

I agree. I havent heard of any of those names/terms.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've heard of demi but will probably fail to explain it properly - what I interpreted it as is that physical/sexual attraction is only likely to come about after an emotional, non sexual/physical, connection is already made with the other party. And that's almost definitely at least partially wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I agree. I havent heard of any of those names/terms.

Same here - I found this though

http://www.whatisasexuality.com/outreach/glossary/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

A big +1 to that.

I'm a straight guy who takes a look at this sub-forum from time to time, but I find it quite intimidating to post because of not knowing the lingo etc, and that does not just go for aces.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

As you all know, I'm bi and trans, but I'm still pretty unaware of some of the lingo in the aces community. I also feel that everyone is welcome here, as long as we're all willing to learn and respect each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TornadoAli

skallywag wrote: »
    A big +1 to that.

I'm a straight guy who takes a look at this sub-forum from time to time, but I find it quite intimidating to post because of not knowing the lingo etc, and that does not just go for aces.

I hear you - I get confused about all the different flags!

Advertisement