Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We are unable to offer Sky Broadband in the Republic of Ireland.

• 31-08-2006 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Up to 16 Mb/sec and we can not have it

If you are a Sky TV customer, we want to do something for you – so we’ve arranged a special offer. €35 off a Sky+ box or €75 off a Sky HD box. These are both fantastic ways to make your Sky viewing even better. To find out more and take advantage of these great savings, please call 081 871 9898 quoting reference Sky+ Broadband offer or Sky HD Broadband offer. This number is exclusively for these Sky + and Sky HD special offers.

WHY WHY WHY WHY :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Why are you asking why, when the answer is simple? It's because of ComReg that they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

And DMCR, The Government and Eircom.

We can't blame it ALL on Comreg.

Also Sky hasn't bought a suitable ISP here yet. They bought one in UK that give them direct access on 28% of exchanges. ON the other 72% you don't get 16Mbps option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

Why are you asking why, when the answer is simple? It's because of ComReg that they can't.

You can't possibly mean the Comreg we all know and love?

In their own words (Comreg's):
    "We are one of the best providers of access products. The European Commission defined us as the third most open market in Europe. There seems to be no recognition of the progress that has been made on broadband. We have one of the cheapest broadband services, taken up by 8% of the people. We have one of the highest trajectory growth paths. People seem to ignore the fact that we are ten times as high in local loop unbundling as we were 12 months ago, which is genuine progress."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

watty wrote:
    And DMCR, The Government and Eircom.

Don't get me wrong: I'm no friend of Eircom. However, they are a private company, and have an obligation to their shareholders and not the country or their customers. As such, it is ComReg's (and the governments fault).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Up to 16 Mb/sec and we can not have it

yes I love this 16MB business, when in reality its only available on Sky LLU enabled exchange which in reality they have less LLU exchanged then AOL UK do who have more then anyone else afaik (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/30/aol_llu/)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Don't get me wrong: I'm no friend of Eircom. However, they are a private company, and have an obligation to their shareholders and not the country or their customers. As such, it is ComReg's (and the governments fault).

If I was an Eircom sharehold I would agree totally with that.

However one analyist a while ago suggested Eircom could be overdooing the exploiting loopholes stuff and risk of a disprortionate reaction. A better long term ploy would be to seem more progressive and lose some profit margin now to aviod getting hammered later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

watt wrote:
    However one analyist a while ago suggested Eircom could be overdooing the exploiting loopholes stuff and risk of a disprortionate reaction. A better long term ploy would be to seem more progressive and lose some profit margin now to aviod getting hammered later.
    I think to suggest eircom could be overexploiting loopholes in regulation is crap tbh. Until about early 2005, the eircom rural plant (and urban plant in some cases) was in an atrocious state IMO. There have been some improvements around the northeast (04 area) in general over the last 18 months. I'm not sure how the rest of the country's infrastructure has improved/worsened though.

Before that, there was some desperate examples of poles lying in ditches, cable insulation repaired with something very similar to a plastic bag and I've seen a Kerry Spring bottle turned upside-down and used as a junction box. No wonder Sky is not too interested in coming to Ireland with broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

3 years on and still no Sky broadband. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    3 years on and still no Sky broadband. :(

Grrrrr. You brought me here for a 3 year old thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

RangeR wrote: »
    Grrrrr. You brought me here for a 3 year old thread?

I didn't click the link for you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Lots of companies don't offer ISP services here. In fact, most don't. Why complain about Sky? Is there some reason people feel entitled to get Sky broadband in the Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Kahless wrote: »
    Lots of companies don't offer ISP services here. In fact, most don't. Why complain about Sky? Is there some reason people feel entitled to get Sky broadband in the Republic?

Well sky having a massive TV customer base here has always made them providing broadband here the next logical step.
    We also got an insane amount of advertising for the UK product a few years back and that probably has a lot to do with it. Not to mention the rumors of sky buying just about every Irish isp at one stage or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Please let sleeping dogsthreads lie. If there's something of note, worth discussing, open a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement