Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More science

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭skallywag

Thanks for posting that. Took a while to get through, but it contains some interesting content.

What is your own opinion of the article? Am I right in guessing from your tone that you think it is complete codology?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

skallywag wrote: »

What is your own opinion of the article? Am I right in guessing from your tone that you think it is complete codology?

You remind me of the warden in Shawshank Redemption. Obtuse is the word

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

You remind me of the warden in Shawshank Redemption. Obtuse is the word

So what are your opinions on the report?

I don't think they arguing anything by the way, they're presenting their findings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

For the ignorant amongst us (myself included) what exactly is wrong with the article?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

368100 wrote: »
    For the ignorant amongst us (myself included) what exactly is wrong with the article?

Nothing. It's just more evidence of biological influences in sexuality and gender identity. And highlights differences in brain functionality between cis/trans and gay/straight - even differentiating between gay trans people and straight trans people. You want my opinion? This is peer reviewed science. What the **** does my opinion, matter?

• Advertisement

It think it is possible to hold an opinion on something without being a qualified expert.

I can certainly see the logic though in brain activity being different depending on gender or sexual preference.

• A plus for the study is that they had control groups based on orientation too. As they note themselves by not doing this many previous studies risk that they "confound gender identity and sexual orientation".

Another plus for this study is it excluded - I think as I read it quite quickly - those who had already undergone hormone treatments. One complaint against previous studies was that we could not rule out that anatomical differences in the brain were or were not caused by such treatments.

The study is probably not perfect and needs to be peer reviewed and replicated by those more in the know than any of us - before we can read too much into it. There are probably other maybe better ways to control for orientation in the groups and control groups for example. And some people might discredit it for using the Kinsey Scale which itself is seen by many to have been discredited.

But over all the report - by finding differences lying in areas of the brain related to body identity, self, and body ownership - does seem to fit the predictions of people who have drawn comparisons between Gender Dysphoria and other forms of BIID such as phantom limb or alien limb syndromes. Them being - it would seem - little more than a disparity between our sensory experience of our self and our bodies and the areas of the brain that maintain maps of the self and the body. And the horrific discomfort caused when those two things go out of alignment. A few people seem to expect that Gender Dysphoria will have similar underpinnings. And the results of this study seem to track with those expectations a little.

OP, can you please clarify?

Is your meaning that you disagree with the paper you linked to (which I had assumed) or do you actually agree with it?

I cannot really tell from your subsequent response where you stand on it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Nothing. It's just more evidence of biological influences in sexuality and gender identity. And highlights differences in brain functionality between cis/trans and gay/straight - even differentiating between gay trans people and straight trans people. You want my opinion? This is peer reviewed science. What the **** does my opinion, matter?

Oooookay :-S

So nothing wrong with the article.....I'm having trouble understanding what your issue is?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Mod Note: I'm locking this thread temporarily to discuss with other Mods. We encourage debate amongst members, but I can't abide snipping and in fighting anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Mod

Thread reopened. JTF please refrain from further snarky replies and keep it civil.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I just really want to know what the story is with the opening statement. Don't leave us hanging JTF! Do you agree / disagree with the report or whats the craic?

Advertisement