Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 eMTB

• 26-11-2019 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭

eMTB bikes seem to get better each year, the new Mondraker has gone sub 20kg with a full battery and range, with a very pretty price tag too! But definitely one of the most advanced MTB's I've seen:

LINK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

A fine price indeed. Id be shopping for a ktm that takes 2 stroke with that kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Peter T wrote: »
    A fine price indeed. Id be shopping for a ktm that takes 2 stroke with that kind of money.

You'd be shopping for tax & Insurance to use it on public roads while you're at it, plus a MX track if you wanted to use it off-road...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Apples and onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    eMTB bikes seem to get better each year, the new Mondraker has gone sub 20kg with a full battery and range, with a very pretty price tag too! But definitely one of the most advanced MTB's I've seen:

LINK

I was looking at these online yesterday. Beautiful.
    There's one in white and blue, that is particularly attractive.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I was looking at these online yesterday. Beautiful.
    There's one in white and blue, that is particularly attractive.

Looks great, only issue would be the battery range of around 30km, and you can't attach another battery like on a Focus so for say a 5 hour spin you'd want to be using it on minimal assistance, which isn't fun on a 21kg bike..

LINK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Might be ideal to session a few trails in a small area. It is 12k euro for an ebike that only covers around 30km, cant replace battery, and from whats being said online would need to be sent off for a replacement battery if anything was to happen. Isn't exactly progress in my eyes

Might be ideal to session a few trails in a small area. It is 12k euro for an ebike that only covers around 30km, cant replace battery, and from whats being said online would need to be sent off for a replacement battery if anything was to happen. Isn't exactly progress in my eyes

Wouldn't take the 30km range as gospel just yet as the reviews are still quite new..
    Not being able to plug in a 2nd battery would be a concern..the whole appeal of an eBike is the extra range, i.e. you may decide to do a 60km spin not a 30k on an analog bike...

Though to replace the battery you just bring it back to your local bike shop, and they have to remove the motor to replace a faulty battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

The money for full sus eMTB's is mad the best offer In a realistic budget I came across would have been the Vitus or the radon swoop

nelly17 wrote: »
    The money for full sus eMTB's is mad the best offer In a realistic budget I came across would have been the Vitus or the radon swoop

Both of them are Fugly though, esp. the Radon, and the review was terrible...

The Mondrakers are visually as close to a standard MTB as i've seen myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

The Lapierre Ezesty is pretty close but to keep it looking this way they have a tiny 250Wh battery

• Advertisement

nelly17 wrote: »
    The Lapierre Ezesty is pretty close but to keep it looking this way they have a tiny 250Wh battery

Yea saw the review for that, the lightweight is at the expense of range, a v small battery, definitely not worth €7000+

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nikkisscy

Tenzor07 wrote: »

LINK

I have seen chinese emtb that weight 14 kilos from carbon fiber

nikkisscy wrote: »
    I have seen chinese emtb that weight 14 kilos from carbon fiber

I'd say it would snap in half with the sight of a rock on the trail...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I misread the price and was thinking ‘this is too good to be true for £1,199’ while reading the spec 🤣🤦*♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Gekko wrote: »
    I misread the price and was thinking ‘this is too good to be true for £1,199’ while reading the spec ����*♂️

Me too to the point where I was going to buy one even though I have no desire for an eBike for at least another 20 years but the price was too good to turn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Paying more money for a lighter eMTB (but still very heavy compared to normal bike) is crazy.
    My Giant Stance E+ weighs in at 24kg, but the battery assistance makes it feel like a 6kg bike on the climbs.
    Normally I would do some weight reduction on a bike when I get it, it this is the first bike that has got heavier with my upgrades( dropper, lights, mudguards etc) and it doesn't affect real world performance.

gman2k wrote: »
    Paying more money for a lighter eMTB (but still very heavy compared to normal bike) is crazy..

The logic behind a lighter eBike is the same as having say a sports car, the engine for the same size has to work less to propel the weight faster and be more responsive.

Having said that, i'd rather spend all the extra costs of an eBike over an analog bike to hire a personal trainer and loose say 6KG so I could pedal up the climbs without needing a motor in my bicycle to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

specialized concept store up in Dublin do 24hr hire arrangement so you can try on your local trails ,i tested one around the car park ,well impressed so going back to do longer test soon .

The alux /aluminium frames are good value n good battery range to.

Watch few videos on EMTB online loads of tests etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone seen anything of Value, the Decathlon Stilus seems the best bang for buck and looks ok, pretty impossible to get though.
    Have a budget of around 3k.

Advertisement