Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Little Lunch Ideas

• 18-11-2019 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Can anyone suggest ideas for small break at school? My 4 year old is quite fussy - won't eat fruit, cheese, dips etc. She has been taking a small yogurt for little break but is getting fed up of them now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Assuming the school isn't egg free how about some savoury muffins?

I've found some of the baby weaning books great for recipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I just stick the whole lot into the various compartments on the lunchbox and they pick what they want to eat at either break.

Carrot sticks
    Cucumber slices
    cherry tomatoes
    Some fruit , would she eat strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, grapes, apple slices?
    raisins
    Those round ritz crackers fit in nicely, but other crackers do too.
    Sandwiches cut into fingers (Chicken, ham, cheese). We mix the breads up, sometimes wraps, sometimes brownbread, sometimes soda bread etc.
    Raw Almonds or peanuts if you school allows
    unsalted Popcorn
    Sliced sausages
    Pasta salad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Oh the muffins might be a good idea.

She won't eat carrots or cucumber. The only fruit she eats is grapes, raspberries and at a push, an apple. I never thought of popcorn (I tend to think of it as a treat). She's grand for big lunch with sandwiches, wraps, pasta etc. It's just little lunch that is getting stale because she is so fussy :( And we've tried everything to get her to try foods - her little brother on the contrast eats absolutely everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I haven't tried it yet but I read somewhere of someone cooking popcorn in coconut oil, I think it sounds lovely. Would she try hoummus? There are so many different flavours, my toddler loves breadsticks dipped in hoummus or peabnu butter. Muffins are a great idea, I use various recipes from baby led weaning websites (banana, pumpkin, sweet potato and carrot, apple and banana muffins. Or you could make a batch (and freeze them) of mini pancakes with different things in them, like banana and oats, raspberry or apple and cinnamon. It could defrost in the lunchbox on the way to school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

As a second level teacher popcorn is banned in our premises due to mess. Maybe confirm with school on that one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

You could just swap around every day between the yoghurt, and the bits of fruit she will eat and just keep at it.If they are hungry enough, they eat eventually.Lunch is very hard to keep interesting.I do a few ritz crackers and fruit too.i know people do dry cheerios and that aswell

Thanks all. I'll try the muffins and see how we get on with them. And continue swapping around with the few fruits she does eat. She has gone today with a rusk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

As a second level teacher popcorn is banned in our premises due to mess. Maybe confirm with school on that one

Oh yes, I'd never send them with a whole packet. I'm talking about maybe 8 bits of popcorn in the bento-style lunch box.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Tomorrow I’ve put a scone in their snack box. At their school it need to be something they can take out to yard in their hand. So sometimes I will put in:
    a little bag of breadsticks with a babybel or fruit yoyo
    Brioche roll
    Museli bar
    Little snack pack of tux or Jacobs crackers
    A pancake
    Hot cross bun
    This time of year I will start putting in a fruit mince pie for my sons snack. My daughter wouldn’t be partial to them at all tho...

I made these and they've gone down well with her:

https://www.myfussyeater.com/banana-orange-oat-toddler-bites/

I'll try something different again next week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement