Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sentencing

Options
  • 12-11-2019 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to find out what the courts pass for a sentence for a particular case?
    I can see the on courts.ie the 'Circuit Court Diary' that lists cases that were sentenced that day but cannot see what was given out.

Is this public information or am I way off here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭paulieeye

anyone?? wrong forum?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There was a comment today in relation to the Alan Kavanagh (Al Porter) case by the District Judge to the effect that while justice is administered in public, the media are the public's eyes and ears.

Essentially, while court outcomes are technically a matter of public record, unless things are reported by the press, they can go unnoticed and indeed unrecorded in the public sphere.

It's not possible in reality to administer a system of real public record here whereby anyone can seek details of every case that comes before the court and is dealt with in public. So there is a reliance on media reports but of course the same resourcing issues apply to those media and the vast majority of cases never enter the public conscience.

Of course it is open to you to attend at any public hearing and observe the outcome for yourself but again, you could not possibly attend at every court and observe all the outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭paulieeye

There was a comment today in relation to the Alan Kavanagh (Al Porter) case by the District Judge to the effect that while justice is administered in public, the media are the public's eyes and ears.

Essentially, while court outcomes are technically a matter of public record, unless things are reported by the press, they can go unnoticed and indeed unrecorded in the public sphere.

It's not possible in reality to administer a system of real public record here whereby anyone can seek details of every case that comes before the court and is dealt with in public. So there is a reliance on media reports but of course the same resourcing issues apply to those media and the vast majority of cases never enter the public conscience.

Of course it is open to you to attend at any public hearing and observe the outcome for yourself but again, you could not possibly attend at every court and observe all the outcomes.

ok thanks. So what I get from this is that unless a story is picked up by the media or I attend a sentencing myself, it is not possible to find out the result of a case

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

• Advertisement
Advertisement