Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,362 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

pixelburp wrote: »
    I have a friend who loves the machos & "cheese" you get at cinemas :)

Wait, huh? What cinemas are doing this 'cos that's a name and shame right there. That's the first I've heard, certainly my local IMC has nothing of the sort.

Point being anyway that it's very easy to get cheap cinema tickets with a small amount of effort.

Online Thursdays in IMC...€6 a ticket. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wait, huh? What cinemas are doing this 'cos that's a name and shame right there. That's the first I've heard, certainly my local IMC has nothing of the sort.

Point being anyway that it's very easy to get cheap cinema tickets with a small amount of effort.
    Galway IMC (seen it again recently) and The Eye, Galway.

(Toffee popcorn is my weakness, which can't be got inside (800 calories a bag:eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

After the seeing Ricky Gervais on the Golden Globes, I watched his David Brent; Life on the Road.

Quite enjoyable.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Online Thursdays in IMC...€6 a ticket. Happy days.

Odeon used to do €5 tickets on a Wednesday before a certain time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Started watching "Thieves in the Wood". Set against the backdrop of a community repressed by nobility of 18th century French-occupied Flanders. Reminds me a bit of the Robin Hood series in the 1980s. It's a series rather than just one film.

As someone who prefers the audio language to match the lip movements, I'm pleased I was able to select different languages for audio and subtitles for each one. That way it's more true to life, and I can hear Flemings speaking Flemish, while reading English subtitles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I'm enjoying Medical Police. It's a spoof procedural in which a couple of medical doctors are running around the globe after biological terrorists. They're as dumb as rocks, but there's a nice mix of goofy jokes, slapstick, and playing with the conventions of those kinds of shows. Won't be to everyone's liking (comedy never is), but worth a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez
    Via interviews with friends, players and insiders, this docuseries examines how Aaron Hernandez went from an NFL star to a convicted killer.

The Brave
    With entry into the European Union at stake, Albania must rely on a mash-up of elite cops to take down a slippery drug lord dominating its economy.

Eye For An Eye
    A cartel boss is released from prison and unknowingly put in the care of a vengeful nurse, whose life was tragically impacted by the drug lord.

Grace and Frankie Season 6

School of Roars season 1
    Class is in session for mini-monsters Wufflebump, Meepa, Icklewoo, Wingston and Yummble, who learn quirky lessons from their teacher Miss Grizzlesniff.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Started watching "Thieves in the Wood". Set against the backdrop of a community repressed by nobility of 18th century French-occupied Flanders. Reminds me a bit of the Robin Hood series in the 1980s. It's a series rather than just one film.

As someone who prefers the audio language to match the lip movements, I'm pleased I was able to select different languages for audio and subtitles for each one. That way it's more true to life, and I can hear Flemings speaking Flemish, while reading English subtitles.

Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

mikhail wrote: »
    I'm enjoying Medical Police. It's a spoof procedural in which a couple of medical doctors are running around the globe after biological terrorists. They're as dumb as rocks, but there's a nice mix of goofy jokes, slapstick, and playing with the conventions of those kinds of shows. Won't be to everyone's liking (comedy never is), but worth a spin.

I loved the original web series "Childrens Hospital" so definitely going to give this a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Gas anyone seen two popes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Ikozma wrote: »

Well worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Ikozma wrote: »

I saw it 2 days ago. Engaging enough and 2 great performances by Pryce and Hopkins.

I'm going through the 3 animated films that are nominated for an Oscar (Klaus, I Lost My Body, Missing Link).
    I saw Klaus yesterday, very entertaining - a nice, different take on the Santa Klaus myth. And the animation looks so beautiful. I'll probably see the otehr two today and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Is it any good?

It is. It's a series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,062 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Looking forward to watching the Aaron Hernandez crime series. This guy had everything going for him but lost it all for a gangster lifestyle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finally got around to watching The Body Remembers When The World Broke Open. It's a small, modest Canadian film that nonetheless does a lovely job of capturing a fraught afternoon in the life of two very different women from indigenous backgrounds. It mostly uses a 'one-take' approach (with some disguised cuts AFAIK, plus standalone prologues for the two main characters) - but unlike 1917, which I felt was showing off, this one uses it effectively to stay with these women as things unfold. It's a triumph of perspective in that regard - whether that's as we watch conversations between them shift and complicate after little revelations or missteps, or when we stay with one character to see how she acts when alone. Tackles topics such as domestic abuse in a careful, empathetic way, avoiding the sort of overt imagery you might expect from a lesser film.

Not a film for everyone, I hasten to add, but if you're into your quiet and understated arthouse dramas this is an impressive effort from directors Elle-Maija Tailfeathers and Kathleen Hepburn.

Deadcon
    A group of uber-popular, social media influencers' trip to a digital media festival grows dark when an evil spirit wants to lure them to their demise.

Jezebel
    During the internet's infancy, a vulnerable woman follows her sister into the sex industry as a webcam model but her sudden popularity tests their bond.

Minions

NiNoKuni
    Two average teens go on a magical quest to save the life of their friend and her counterpart from another world. But love complicates their journey.

Shadow
    As three kingdoms struggle for control of a walled city, a figure with a rare power spins a web of intrigue that entangles a king's court.

added

tomorrow
    Sex Education: Season 2
    Ares: Season 1
    Netflix’s first Dutch original series is an eight-part horror
    Hip-Hop Evolution: Season 4
    Nailed It! Germany: Season 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Watched Mid90's the other night. Had been meaning to watch it basically since it came out but never got around to it. I'd say it's one of my favorite films I've seen in recent years, it had everything I love in a film. The soundtrack and general aesthetic appealed to me so much I would've happily sat through a 3 hour plus version of this film but I guess at only 85mins it's short and sweet.

Very impressive debut by Jonah Hill. The skateboarders turned actors were all very good and lended to the realism of the film. Lucas Hedges also puts in a fantastic turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

Well worth a watch

thought it was very good. not very religious myself

mindhunter season 3 has been indefinitely delayed due to David fincher stating work on Netflix movie 'mank'
    all 3 main actors are being released from their contracts

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just finished The Bonfire of Destiny (Bazar de la Charité in it's original French)

It's based around a real historic event where the building hosting a major charity event attended by Parisian fancy types caught fire and burned to the ground. 126 people died, mostly women.

The series follows 3 (fictional) women who survive the fire. Alice, a young aristocratic woman due to be married to Julien, arranged by her father to save the family from bankruptcy. Adrienne, wife of an up and coming politician who has zero scruples when it comes to what he'll do to win an election, and Rose, Alice's maid, who is due to leave for America with her husband the week after the fire.

I'd describe it as more of a melodrama than a serious drama, in that some of the situations that arise after the fire seen a bit far fetched. After the 2nd episode I thought it was going to be something like Gran Hotel, soapy outlandish plots and ridiculous drama, but it pulls itself back a little after that and becomes a really watchable series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Bazar de la Charité is indeed very good. Original version, always. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Anyone here watch Top of The Lake? I thought the first season was really good if a little unsettling. I recently started season 2 but the first episode has made me a bit uneasy. It's very dark and grim. Even more so than the first season. It could be a heavy season. I like dark stuff but I can't see myself binging too much on this season. Anyone know if it's worth staying with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭RandomUsername

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Anyone here watch Top of The Lake? I thought the first season was really good if a little unsettling. I recently started season 2 but the first episode has made me a bit uneasy. It's very dark and grim. Even more so than the first season. It could be a heavy season. I like dark stuff but I can't see myself binging too much on this season. Anyone know if it's worth staying with it?

Yea stick with it, it's a decent show

Ares: Season 1

Netflix’s first Dutch original series is an eight-part horror that dives into a secret student society in the heart of Amsterdam where best friends Rosa and Jacob surrender to a world of wealth and power. But slowly they start to realise they’ve entered a demonic place, built on secrets from the Netherlands’ past. A place where true power comes at a terrible price.

Sex Education: Season 2

Netflix’s coming-of-age comedy, which stars Gillian Anderson and Asa Butterfield, follows Otis Milburn, a socially awkward high school student who lives with his sex therapist mother, Jean. In Season 1, Otis and his friend Maeve Wiley (Emma Mackey) set up a sex clinic at school to capitalise on his intuitive talent for sex advice. In Season 2, as a late bloomer, Otis must master his newly discovered urges in order to progress with his girlfriend, while also dealing with his now-strained relationship with Maeve.

A Fall from Grace

When gentle, law-abiding Grace confesses to killing her new husband, her skeptical young lawyer sets out to uncover the larger conspiracy at play.

Nailed It! Germany Season 1
    Home cooks try -- and inevitably fail -- to re-create spectacular confections on this comical competition show, all for a sweet 5,000 euros

Hip-Hop Evolution Season 4
    Interviews with influential MCs, DJs and moguls trace the genre's dynamic evolution from the 1970s through the '00s in this documentary series..

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Aaron Hernandez doc is enthralling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Aaron Hernandez doc is enthralling.

it's excellent.
    he's not the sharpest , very sloppy at covering his tracks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Are forensic files gone? Can't find it now, was watching them last night

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I enioyed Dont F*** With Cats, more the international manhunt than the Facebook sleuths aspect. Any other good real-life manhunt-type series?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Nalz wrote: »

looks like it's gone, I just checked twitter and there's a few complaining about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Nalz wrote: »

That’s such a brilliant show and the narrator can’t think of his name is excellent. Love his voice.

Advertisement