Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Library card use online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

loopymum wrote: »
    Dunlaoghaire comes up for Ireland on Libby. You can choose that one as all the libraries are linked now

Just tried that with Dunlaoghaire and then put in my library card and pin.
    Didnt work.
    It just said not a valid Dun Laoghaire-rathdown library card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

I think Dun laoghaire have their own subscription to overdrive that predates the LGMA subscription the other libraries use.

Thanks guys, I guess I just have to wait for Fingal to sort it out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Poochie05

The email I got from Wexford library says changeover is at end of the month. So probably just need to wait until then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Yeah my library not on Libby yet either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

I tried to log in on Libby and it didn't accept my Louth county library reg details either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Any way of signing up for Libby? I was able to get a temp Dublin City Library number and pin for borrowbox, but it doesn't work for Libby and says you have to go into the library to sign up - which I presume is not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I find it crazy that there is a limited amount of audio books and ebooks to use online. It's a digital file! Completely backwards. Some of them say they are booked out until next year!

My library not on libby either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

ShaneU wrote: »
    I find it crazy that there is a limited amount of audio books and ebooks to use online. It's a digital file! Completely backwards. Some of them say they are booked out until next year!

I wonder is it something to do with usage rights for the amount paid - if they made it unlimited, it could have a bigger impact on sales of the actual content?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Libraries have to buy their books - they buy the license for a finite number of e books, the same as they would buy a finite number of hard copies of the book.

I have been unable to sign in with my account for Dublin City Library too - guess it will be the end of the month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Forgive my ignorance, what is Libby! Do I need it? And is it used in Clondalkin or Tallaght Libraries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Forgive my ignorance, what is Libby! Do I need it? And is it used in Clondalkin or Tallaght Libraries?

It’s an app that lets you read magazines on a tablet device (or mobile) for free with your library card.
    https://www.overdrive.com/ZINIO-transition-preview

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Managed to sign up with dun laoghaire.

But four four two seems to have disappeared. used to on RB digital.

Scrap that found it.

why are they moving from RB digital to Libby.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Managed to sign up with dun laoghaire.

But four four two seems to have disappeared. used to on RB digital.

Scrap that found it.

why are they moving from RB digital to Libby.

Is that the library you are with physically?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Is that the library you are with physically?

no.

I signed up for a temporary number on libraries Ireland years back and that works.

Well otherwise publishers would basically be giving them away from free. Piracy is fairly easy as it is, they need to protect whatever of the market they have left.

Is Bloomberg businessweek on Libby can someone check out of curiosity?

Got an email from the library, Libby was due to go live today but there's some issues they are working on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Got an email from the library, Libby was due to go live today but there's some issues they are working on

I emailed my library this morning and the (extremely prompt) response was that the staff themselves are waiting for it to go live!

Site does not recognise my library card number and PIN at present.

Surely all of this should have been tested to death before now??

Working for me now! My library wasn't listed so I just went to Dublin City library, put in my card number and pin and it worked

Preferred RB to this it doesn't seem user friendly or is that just me?

• Advertisement

Working for me now.
    Fingal library is now showing up in it.
    Picked that.
    Put in library card no.
    Put in pin.
    Bobs yer uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

Still no joy for me - I don't have a library card, as I only joined post-lockdown. I have a user number and pin, which works on BorrowBox (to borrow eBooks), but it isn't recognised on Libby.

I'll contact Louth Co Library service and see what they advise.

On first glance, Libby doesn't look as user friendly as RB.

gipi wrote: »
    Still no joy for me - I don't have a library card, as I only joined post-lockdown. I have a user number and pin, which works on BorrowBox (to borrow eBooks), but it isn't recognised on Libby.

Totally agree on the user friendly front, much preferred RB but will make do

gipi wrote: »

The user interface is up there with the worst I have ever experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

JimmyVik wrote: »
    The user interface is up there with the worst I have ever experienced.

It is appalling on a desktop and awful on a tablet. What design company thought it a good idea not to have a clear home button as an anchor for the whole experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Registered with the Libby app this morning, all worked ok with a Cork City library card. Now to figure out how to add the same magazines as I had in the old RBDigitial app, too bad to hear the UI isn't great but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

UI is the absolute worst I've ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

UI is the absolute worst I've ever seen

it's bloody chronic having to use a browser

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pjq

I was happy that it's not as difficult as PressReader. I like the "read the article" feature .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Hey all,

I'm on a Fingal card, log in and the comic selection is very poor. Noting really. Is the selection better for areas? it is just a Fingal thing? Thanks.

Advertisement