Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Third Irish forestry fund.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 paris24

So based on your above calculations you think each share bought for IEP500 (Irish pounds) would be IEP11,274.33 now (€14,281.16). I mean I personally would be delighted if we got cheques for €14k per share... but I just cant see that happening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 IrForestryQ

No Each Share would be worth 4113.66(pounds)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

From memory, the investors have Preference Shares which have no voting rights so really if any of us are unhappy with the return the only option is going to court.
    There are ordinary shares but were not available to investors and are used to pass through decisions such as approving this sale.

As all forestry funds are part of this transaction, there is likely a discount applied to sweeten the deal for the purchaser.
    I was promised 8.5% per annum return, if I got 8.5% over the 10-12 years I would consider that a win at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

So are they going to start issuing payment cheques in August?
    I have a child starting college in September so timing would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

From memory, the investors have Preference Shares which have no voting rights so really if any of us are unhappy with the return the only option is going to court.
    There are ordinary shares but were not available to investors and are used to pass through decisions such as approving this sale.

As all forestry funds are part of this transaction, there is likely a discount applied to sweeten the deal for the purchaser.
    I was promised 8.5% per annum return, if I got 8.5% over the 10-12 years I would consider that a win at this stage.

• Advertisement

I wonder about the legality of the sale in relation to the original return promise.

And whats in it for AXA, veon will still manage the site but profits will now go to AXA.

If the return we receive really is amazing then fine but it does worry me that AXA is allowed to purchase our fund from under us.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bluebeard2

I'm researching where/how to invest in Irish forestry and came across this thread. I heard it's a good investment but it seems not to be managed in a trustworthy manner. Did you all investment through a state body or private company?

Many seem to be unhappy with how your investments are being handled... should I just look for something else to invest in? I'm not very savvy with this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 paris24

Hmmm I just spoke to them there, the woman who answered the phone said as they were inundated with change of address notifications they have had to push out the date to post cheques to the 16th August. I asked what the valuation amount for each share was but she said the assessor is still finalizing report. I asked were we only going to find out the share amount when we received our cheque and not prior to this. She confirmed yes. SO on the one hand the reason for the delay is the admin issue, fine. But then why has the accessor not finalized his report by now? Is it not strange that you only find out share value upon receipt of cheque? I find this all very fishy to be honest....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Don't panic, really. Why do people see plots everywhere?

• Advertisement

Different bunch entirely, discussion about that crowd elsewhere on boards, in the investment forum I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ForFsSake

Don't panic, really. Why do people see plots everywhere?

I think it is the expected disappointment based on previous payouts that is fueling the chat coupled with a letter saying cheques in July and then not receiving them.

While there are some posts here about what we can/can't do if/when the poor ROI arrives I think all we can do is bank them and move on no matter how disappointing the amount ...... unless they surprise us which does seem unlikley ...... but we will see!

ForFsSake wrote: »
    I think it is the expected disappointment based on previous payouts that is fueling the chat coupled with a letter saying cheques in July and then not receiving them.

While there are some posts here about what we can/can't do if/when the poor ROI arrives I think all we can do is bank them and move on no matter how disappointing the amount ...... unless they surprise us which does seem unlikley ...... but we will see!

If its gonna be a disappointment don't you think they should keep the fund going until it matures then.. I'll be going over the financials with a fine tooth comb.

If its gonna be a disappointment don't you think they should keep the fund going until it matures then.. I'll be going over the financials with a fine tooth comb.

I don't believe we will do any better in 10 years time. For a layman like me it was mis-sold in that it promised rewards many multiple times what we will receive. I know, I had a choice and I chose to invest so cant blame anyone else. They could of course surprise us yet with a healthy ROI but it seems unlikely.

I am glad you will look at the financials. I tried to look at past accounts they sent out but I don't have the skills to understand them. I would like to know how much Master Brosnan and team were paid for managing an underperforming fund over the past 20 years. Did their pay reduce to reflect fund performance. My guess is that we won't find out and they were paid their whack before sending out the cheques. Maybe even gave themselves a bonus for making this sale?

Anyway I have written it off (bar the odd post here of course!), will bank whatever I get and try and forget about it after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,349 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ForFsSake wrote: »
    I would like to know how much Master Brosnan and team were paid for managing an underperforming fund over the past 20 years. Did their pay reduce to reflect fund performance. My guess is that we won't find out and they were paid their whack before sending out the cheques. Maybe even gave themselves a bonus for making this sale?
    The bigger question is now much the promoters paid themselves for the forest maintenance contract services that they provided. That was what scared me off the original prospectus - the intention to contract maintenance to the promoters rather than getting best value.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭iriship

On the phone with them today. New date 15/16 of August for payment/check. No other information

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hatters

iriship wrote: »
    On the phone with them today. New date 15/16 of August for payment/check. No other information

The anticipation and suspense is killing me! Have no idea what to expect which is nuts... wouldn’t happen anywhere else! Hope we are all happy on 16th August!! 🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

I have three shares and I honestly don't know what to expect either.
    1000 per share?
    4000 per share?
    Can anyone make an educated guess based on the financial reports available?

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    I have three shares and I honestly don't know what to expect either.
    1000 per share?
    4000 per share?
    Can anyone make an educated guess based on the financial reports available?

Absolutely no idea either.

Although exceptionally poor vs original prospectus at this stage I would be pleasantly surprised with 4K per share.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭antietam1

I used to laugh at Geldoff's banana republic, not so sure now.
    Certainly came across a lot of corruption, nepotism and incompetence in my time.

• Advertisement

antietam1 wrote: »
    I used to laugh at Geldoff's banana republic, not so sure now.
    Certainly came across a lot of corruption, nepotism and incompetence in my time.
    Are you suggesting that corruption, nepotism and incompetence were involved in this case?

The country as a whole.

antietam1 wrote: »
    The country as a whole.
    If you're suggesting there was corruption, nepotism or incompetence involved in this fund, please be more specific.

Ignore him, just going to look like a fool soon enough hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dan1981

Some rough sums here - nowhere near as stellar as IrForestryQ's (or perhaps optimistic!) - but just having a stab at things...

Across the funds from 2nd to 7th there were 20,000 shares being offered - we can assume they were all sold at £500(punt) each - I know funds I was involved in were over-subscribed.

The total land (without the trees) that's been sold to AXA has been 4094 hectares, equating to 10116.49 acres. 18 months ago The Journal [1] quoted the Farmers Journal saying the average price for an acre of agricultural land was €9088. So the total value of the land as of 18 months ago would be around €92,000,000. Agriland says the value of agricultural land outside Dublin rose sharply in 2018 too [2] - but let's keep to the more conservative (ish) estimate.

So at first principles, if the trees all burned down and the land was all that was left, the value of each share would be averaged out at €4597 a share (assuming you could easily divide the land value by the total number of shares across the funds and no costs were involved). I think this is cause for some optimism.

The CSO have a database with a substantial amount of data on land values in various parts of the country, most forestry activity tends to be in the southwest from experience, where land values are lowest - however if you take the lowest price per hectare, multiply it by the number of hectares sold and divide it by the number of shares across the funds the value for the land alone should yield a significant gain for IFF investors.

The 5th fund seems to the mid-range one (6000 shares sold and seems almost halfway into things) so we could use 20 years as the average number of years across all the funds (easy for some lazy maths here but understand the various funds will have different yields and land values). So I'm working on basis of a return over 20 years.

On Veon's own website they have a calculator for landowners to get an idea of how much they could earn from their land from forestry [3]. I plugged in the full 4094 hectares to see what the annual return would be:
    > 4094 hectares for Broadleaf: annual return from Veon of €2,783,920
    > 4094 hectares for Conifer: annual return from Veon of €2,456,400

So if you were the landowner (and I suppose in this case the Irish Forestry Fund investors are that's what the money was for) multiplying the two figures above by 20 you'd have either €49m made in twenty years assuming zero inflation, interest, or any change, or €55 million. We should be conservative again here, so let's go with the lower value of €49m.

Excluding any management fees (I know this is a point of contention, but let's set it aside for now) combining the return to the landowner over twenty years (€49m) with the value of the full 4094 hectares (€92m) we're left with a combined value at 20 years (land value and return from the land being worked) of €141 million.

If you divide that figure by the # of shares across the funds (20,000) you end up with a value per share of about €7000 - that's a return of 12.75% on an investment per share of €635(£500).

I'm doubting this all of course too, as that return is pretty close to the 12.5% return estimated for the very fund I've been averaging over, though obviously, the second and third funds had more generous/ambitious returns. That said, I think the land value is something in particular that should reassure investors.

Of course, as others have pointed out the real value growth is between now and full maturation so you would expect a premium over this figure per share if the "summer bonanza" is to be believed as a true return to investors. I would be cautiously optimistic that there is good faith by all involved, and that nobody has been duped, deceived or ripped off, even if Veon stands to continue to benefit from the relationship. It's in everyone's interest I believe for the full value to be sweated from the entire value of the fund, including the land value.

Two further things stick out for me right now, and I know they are leaving me feeling less optimistic than the very rough math above.

The Irish Forest Unit Trust currently estimates the return (including land) of investing in forestry of between 5% and 7% [4] leaving the value of a share somewhere between €1684 and €2457. I think this can be easily dismissed in term of the unit cost of land being substantially higher now than it was 20 years ago. Also (and this is something my father, a big advocate of the fund pointed out) that climate change has probably meant the trees have grown somewhat faster, and that perhaps maturation is closer than the full 30 years.

The only published report I noted involving the Irish Forestry Fund was a ten year fund which the Irish Independent reported as resulting in an annual yield of 6.2% - I think this was in 2011[5] - my brain is broke with the figures above but I will come back and add the Indo link in when I find it later on. But 6.2% return over 20 years would represent just under half of the actual value of the land itself if the figures above can be in any way believed.

Sources:
    I'm not allowed post links because I'm a n00b. Will make them available if anyone wants them!

If you're suggesting there was corruption, nepotism or incompetence involved in this fund, please be more specific.

Never claimed I had proof, just that it looks odd and that I found nepotism everywhere I worked anyway.
    I don't think Bob mentions the forestry fund in his song.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Just a few points regarding Dan's post. Forestry land is usually marginal land , and the price of land currently, for planting is in the €2-4000 / acre range. Planted land is at its lowest value after 20 years, €3000 is what's usually quoted, because at that point all the government grants have been collected and the trees will need thinning which is a break even process if a contractor is involved.

The good thing about this for me is I would have been in my mid 70s when this matured.
    So to get anything now is probably better, obviously when you are younger you are more optimistic about your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shaun73

The following notice appeared on the Irish Forestry Funds website during the third week of May:

“THE DEADLINE FOR CHANGES AND ALTERATIONS TO THE SHARE REGISTERS FOR THE IRISH FORESTRY FUNDS IS 12 NOON THIS FRIDAY 31ST MAY 2019 IN PREPARATION FOR THE ISSUING OF DISTRIBUTIONS IN JULY.
    PLEASE ENSURE THAT ANY ADDRESS CHANGES AND RECTIFICATIONS ARE COMPLETED PRIOR TO THIS DATE”.

This notice was accompanied by an announcement to the effect that all of the funds had been sold. An excerpt is as follows:

“The directors of the Irish Forestry Funds are pleased to announce that they have accepted an offer from AXA Investment Managers for the entire portfolio of the Irish Forestry Funds on behalf of their 12,400 shareholders.”

The situation today, 6 August 2019, is that:

• There were no distributions in July.

• The 12,400 shareholders, on whose behalf the directors accepted the offer of AXA Investment Managers, have been told nothing by way of explanation either through correspondence or updating of the IFS website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭sandman30

dan1981 wrote: »
    Some rough sums here - nowhere near as stellar as IrForestryQ's (or perhaps optimistic!) - but just having a stab at things...

Across the funds from 2nd to 7th there were 20,000 shares being offered - we can assume they were all sold at £500(punt) each - I know funds I was involved in were over-subscribed.

The total land (without the trees) that's been sold to AXA has been 4094 hectares, equating to 10116.49 acres. 18 months ago The Journal [1] quoted the Farmers Journal saying the average price for an acre of agricultural land was €9088. So the total value of the land as of 18 months ago would be around €92,000,000. Agriland says the value of agricultural land outside Dublin rose sharply in 2018 too [2] - but let's keep to the more conservative (ish) estimate.

So at first principles, if the trees all burned down and the land was all that was left, the value of each share would be averaged out at €4597 a share (assuming you could easily divide the land value by the total number of shares across the funds and no costs were involved). I think this is cause for some optimism.

The CSO have a database with a substantial amount of data on land values in various parts of the country, most forestry activity tends to be in the southwest from experience, where land values are lowest - however if you take the lowest price per hectare, multiply it by the number of hectares sold and divide it by the number of shares across the funds the value for the land alone should yield a significant gain for IFF investors.

The 5th fund seems to the mid-range one (6000 shares sold and seems almost halfway into things) so we could use 20 years as the average number of years across all the funds (easy for some lazy maths here but understand the various funds will have different yields and land values). So I'm working on basis of a return over 20 years.

On Veon's own website they have a calculator for landowners to get an idea of how much they could earn from their land from forestry [3]. I plugged in the full 4094 hectares to see what the annual return would be:
    > 4094 hectares for Broadleaf: annual return from Veon of €2,783,920
    > 4094 hectares for Conifer: annual return from Veon of €2,456,400

So if you were the landowner (and I suppose in this case the Irish Forestry Fund investors are that's what the money was for) multiplying the two figures above by 20 you'd have either €49m made in twenty years assuming zero inflation, interest, or any change, or €55 million. We should be conservative again here, so let's go with the lower value of €49m.

Excluding any management fees (I know this is a point of contention, but let's set it aside for now) combining the return to the landowner over twenty years (€49m) with the value of the full 4094 hectares (€92m) we're left with a combined value at 20 years (land value and return from the land being worked) of €141 million.

If you divide that figure by the # of shares across the funds (20,000) you end up with a value per share of about €7000 - that's a return of 12.75% on an investment per share of €635(£500).

I'm doubting this all of course too, as that return is pretty close to the 12.5% return estimated for the very fund I've been averaging over, though obviously, the second and third funds had more generous/ambitious returns. That said, I think the land value is something in particular that should reassure investors.

Of course, as others have pointed out the real value growth is between now and full maturation so you would expect a premium over this figure per share if the "summer bonanza" is to be believed as a true return to investors. I would be cautiously optimistic that there is good faith by all involved, and that nobody has been duped, deceived or ripped off, even if Veon stands to continue to benefit from the relationship. It's in everyone's interest I believe for the full value to be sweated from the entire value of the fund, including the land value.

Two further things stick out for me right now, and I know they are leaving me feeling less optimistic than the very rough math above.

The Irish Forest Unit Trust currently estimates the return (including land) of investing in forestry of between 5% and 7% [4] leaving the value of a share somewhere between €1684 and €2457. I think this can be easily dismissed in term of the unit cost of land being substantially higher now than it was 20 years ago. Also (and this is something my father, a big advocate of the fund pointed out) that climate change has probably meant the trees have grown somewhat faster, and that perhaps maturation is closer than the full 30 years.

The only published report I noted involving the Irish Forestry Fund was a ten year fund which the Irish Independent reported as resulting in an annual yield of 6.2% - I think this was in 2011[5] - my brain is broke with the figures above but I will come back and add the Indo link in when I find it later on. But 6.2% return over 20 years would represent just under half of the actual value of the land itself if the figures above can be in any way believed.

Sources:
    I'm not allowed post links because I'm a n00b. Will make them available if anyone wants them!

This analysis is flawed. If all the trees burned down the land would be worth nowhere near €4500 per acre. Good quality forestry land that is at least yield class 20 is worth a top of 4k per acre. However in this figure is included the planting grant approx 1k per acre and the the annual premium approx 250 per year for 15 years. Land for replanting that has no grants on it would be worth about €1k per acre. Of course there would also be the insurance payout for insurance damage.

Advertisement