Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nire Valley Drop

Options
  • 20-08-2018 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know if the date for the nire valley drop has been announced yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

October 28 I believe. Looking forward to doing this one for the first time. The 60km route looks a good spin.
    Hi,

Anyone know if the date for the nire valley drop has been announced yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

bogmanfan wrote: »
    October 28 I believe. Looking forward to doing this one for the first time. The 60km route looks a good spin.

Never done it myself either - hoping to get it done this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Lads trying to sign up for this too but cant find anything current online?
    Any links Ive emailed the organisers too...
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

is there a lot of steep climbing on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    is there a lot of steep climbing on this?

Around 1600m of climbing over the 52k or so...

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Around 1600m of climbing over the 52k or so...

are the climbs steep and plentiful? my enduro is a brute at 14kg, climbs get a little annoying to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    are the climbs steep and plentiful? my enduro is a brute at 14kg, climbs get a little annoying to say the least

They're plentiful alright, not too steep, more long, very long. The one to the mid point is a bitch. Great day out on a bike, but maybe a tough day on a full on enduro bike. A XC or Trail bike would be the best bet. I've done it on a 29er, was perfect for it.

rizzodun wrote: »
    They're plentiful alright, not too steep, more long, very long. The one to the mid point is a bitch. Great day out on a bike, but maybe a tough day on a full on enduro bike. A XC or Trail bike would be the best bet. I've done it on a 29er, was perfect for it.

retired my 26 inch hard tail couple of years ago, wrecked it, pushed it beyond its limits. have debated doing the drop but our approach to mountain biking has changed a lot over the couple of years since the purchase of the enduro. id rather horse it around places like bike park now and on our own trails. the drop does sound like a good day though, so i ll see

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Done the short course last year on a borrowed hardtail, bought my own earlier this year especially for this event. Thoroughly enjoyed it last year and can wait for this year's event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Registration will be live next week...

Has anyone a strava profile for the 60k version they would care to share...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

How much easier than the Cooley Thriller is it? Died a horrible death at that this year, even though I thought I'd more training/fitness than previous years :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

JazzyJ wrote: »
    How much easier than the Cooley Thriller is it? Died a horrible death at that this year, even though I thought I'd more training/fitness than previous years :confused:

Surely it can't be any harder than this year's Cooley!!! Weather made a tough day even tougher. I'd say there's still a few on the mountain waiting to finish.

From looking at Strava it seems to be around 250m less climbing so that's a good start. Planning to do it for the first time this year. Sure there's a couple of months to go yet - plenty of time to get a bit more training in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

JazzyJ wrote: »

I'd say the NVD will have a lot more fireroad than techy singletrack/descents/climbs...

Not sure if they'll have the 3 great food stops the Cooley had..

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭emeraldmtb

I know the date is the 28th of October, as previously mentioned. The organisers asked to have it added to theEmerald MTB event calendar.

I don't think they're ready for registrations yet, their Facebook page has only just started being updated with some photos of trail work being done. (FB: nirevalleydrop )

Thinking I may sign up to this, might even rock up with the Boards MTB jersey!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Registration will be live next week...

Has anyone a strava profile for the 60k version they would care to share...

Pm sent

2017 Long one is 58km with nearly 1600up. Easier than the cooley, you can pedal everything . Nice trails great xc day out . Nothing technical on three downs

2016 was 55km with 1400up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I'm tempted to sign up when the registration opens. To be honest, I don't think I'd manage the full 55 to 60km one, so will probably do the shorter one.

Can I ask the people here who have done it, how does the route compare to the White in the Ballyhoura's? It's roughness, rock gardens, etc is what I'm trying to compare.

ianobrien wrote: »
    I'm tempted to sign up when the registration opens. To be honest, I don't think I'd manage the full 55 to 60km one, so will probably do the shorter one.

Can I ask the people here who have done it, how does the route compare to the White in the Ballyhoura's? It's roughness, rock gardens, etc is what I'm trying to compare.

I done it a few years back, it's long fire road climbs split with 9 'drops' these are a mix of single track descents and rough wide descents. Some are rocky but no rock gardens as such, just off road. It's very capable on a normal short travel xc bike, a full suss trail bike would be more comfortable however.

I've never done the White in the Ballyhouras so I can't make a comparison, but if you've ridden off road trails at all you'll manage it. There's no steep surprises to catch you out.

ianobrien wrote:

Even though I've never done the drop, I suspect you ll be fine, as I believe it's geared towards people that have basic skills. Been a long time since I've been in ballyhoura, must get back there soon. I'm sure you d have a blast doing the drop, enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

It's a hard day on bike by any measure but not very technical. I'm local to area and would have ridden most of trails more than most; but not for a while on mtb.

The route actually traverses two valleys; the Nire and Glenahiry to the north. There is a mountain bike club active to the north of route and a little of their trails are used for last two years; which has added to route.

On the rest of route some trail building has been done each year before event; but as there is no mtb club active in area it's pretty limited.

I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy the welcome to area and the community feel of it in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Well, I may be worried needlessly. Saturday I did 21km with 550m up and it didn't really notice it. The weekend before I did 42km. I prefer the XC stuff rather than the narrow rough trail so it seem like something I'd like.

I see that you can decide on the day which route you want to do. Can you decide while "on route" which one you want to do?

All I have to do is talk my usual cycling crew to do it!

Well, I may be worried needlessly. Saturday I did 21km with 550m up and it didn't really notice it. The weekend before I did 42km. I prefer the XC stuff rather than the narrow rough trail so it seem like something I'd like.

I see that you can decide on the day which route you want to do. Can you decide while "on route" which one you want to do?

All I have to do is talk my usual cycling crew to do it!

You can decide while "on route", if I'm correct the first half of the two routes are the same, so you cab see how you're feeling after about 20km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Was talking to one of the organisers today.

Routes will probably be 30ish and 55ish.
    There will be a few changes from last year to make some of the long draggy climbs and replace them with more short & probably steeper ones.
    The first 5 or 6 Km is mostly climbing with only 2 downhill bits but most of it is very manageable.
    The organisers are also exploring a few new offroad parts ( mostly singletrack) so they will be good.

Once the first 10k or so is out of the way the drops come thick and fast and the last 5k is all downhill with one very fast offroad section( Chicken George) and a few nice short steep drops as well.

If the days leading up to it are wet, then there will be plenty of fun in the mud and if they are dry, then it is a pleasure to ride and can be very fast in sections.

There are a number of places where you can swap between the long and short routes on the day and there are marshalls at nearly every major junction.

One way or another you will love it (but you'll sleep that night)

This sounds very well organised, I might check it out myself

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

Possible to do this on cx bike

benneca1 wrote: »
    Possible to do this on cx bike

Anything's possible, not everything's comfortable.

In short, I wouldn't recommend it, borrow a MTB for the day even.

There was a short course boy 1/2 way down Chicken George getting medical attention last year, flat out he tried jump of the drainage ditches and put his knee out on landing.. that's the thing with these events they aren't predictable xc trails , you need to expect anything !!

Hopefully weather is better, last 10km last year was a pure slog thru 150mm of grime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

There was a short course boy 1/2 way down Chicken George getting medical attention last year, flat out he tried jump of the drainage ditches and put his knee out on landing.. that's the thing with these events they aren't predictable xc trails , you need to expect anything !!

Hopefully weather is better, last 10km last year was a pure slog thru 150mm of grime

That wasn't on Chicken George.

I think that the drop is called the Nire Valley Drop ( there is a nice cambered bit at the bottom of it)

The jump was put in by a guy in a HiMac who thought we all wanted to appear on RedBull Tv.

It has been flattened out now though but you can still get some air on it if you hit it at speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Latest information from their Facebook page is that they're meeting this week and entries will hopefully be opening this weekend.

Anyone know how much it costs to enter? I presume its a flat fee?

Advertisement