Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Golf Society-Palmerstown-21st July-12:40pm

• 30-06-2018 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Hi Lads
    Next outing is Palmerstown.I have only played here once before 4 or 5 years ago and can't really remember the full course, but I do remember it being a nice course.We are pulling back upto the centre of the country so hopefully the numbers will bounce back for this 1!
    Just a bit on the course from the Hooked Bible.......
    The main feature of the course is water!!:eek::eek:Thirteen holes with water in play to be exact.To add to that big bunkers to catch the stray shots.
    A top parkland course that looks great to the eye aswell.
    A good few lads have a bit of work to do to make the ryder jug team at the end of the golfing year with only 3 counting competitions left to play beforehand.
    Some of the usual big hitters will make the next outings count,i have no doubt:):)
    The cost on the next outing is 60 to visitors,45 to members and 40 to members who played Mitchelstown as this was to subsidise the more expensive courses(palmerstown is costing us 50)
    See ye all in 3 weeks and enjoy the brilliant weather we are getting.It feels like we are playing golf out in portugal the last 2 weeks:pac::pac::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭a post punk

Not sure if you have done flyovers for this course Golfgraffix?Not much info on the palmerstown website that i can see anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Not sure if you have done flyovers for this course Golfgraffix?Not much info on the palmerstown website that i can see anyway.

I have the strokesaver in a PDF there. I'll stick it up on Google drive there in a while and post the link.

kiers47 wrote: »

I have the strokesaver in a PDF there. I'll stick it up on Google drive there in a while and post the link.
    Sound man Kiers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Here you go. I think the 10th has changed a little since then

https://vimeo.com/channels/1130632

J

• Advertisement

Here you go. I think the 10th has changed a little since then

https://vimeo.com/channels/1130632

J
    Thanks golfgraffix

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i'm all lined up and ready to tog out for this one but at the 10th hour it appears there is someone trying to throw a spanner in the works here.

that's the 10th hour... time to sort it out yet! :)

this is a looonnnnnggggggg course guys. big hitters will have an advantage... but only if they are straight because it is tight and punishing

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

I did a search for the thread on our last outing to Palmerstown and indeed the winner that day is a long and straight hitter.
    A few of the long term members might remember him: A fella named stevieob :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

Played it off the Black Tees a few weeks ago on Black Sunday what a beast! was actually going well too.. Just ran out of energy, steam, feelings in my legs and scratched the last 4 holes :D

There was 60/70 yards between the black and whites Tees on some holes!! :eek: course was in super nick cant wait to go back! never got my 2's money either, rang 2 or 3 times (bad form really) but I'll be saying it to them! didn't even want to enter it!

• Advertisement

paulos53 wrote: »
    I did a search for the thread on our last outing to Palmerstown and indeed the winner that day is a long and straight hitter.
    A few of the long term members might remember him: A fella named stevieob :pac:

long maybe, but not always straight. I think I had 36 that day and also had the longest drive on the last hole which obviously passed on to next best in line. I think I made a mess of the approach and was lucky to finish with a 6.

looks dodgy now that I will be able to defend my crown :(

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

Any chance I could get an early (ideally first) tee-time as I have another engagement that evening? Thanks Captain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Same here if that's ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

ballyk wrote: »
    Any chance I could get an early (ideally first) tee-time as I have another engagement that evening? Thanks Captain.

Good thinking. I played this course two weeks ago and it took well over 5 hours.

Good thinking. I played this course two weeks ago and it took well over 5 hours.

I've played it loads of times
    It's long & tough, but basically a flat course.
    No reason at all to take 5 hours. 4:15 is more than enough to get around here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Are we in 3 or 4 Balls Captain?

Hopefully 3 balls I will ring the course Monday to confirm. Any suggestions on nearest the pin and longest drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

Nearest the pin has to be 10!
    Long drive either 11 or 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Break80

Can I have first tee time as well please Captain.
    I need to be home on the same day if possible.

davegilly wrote: »
    Nearest the pin has to be 10!
    Long drive either 11 or 18.

Agree, 10 great hole for NTP and I would go with 18 for LD

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    I've played it loads of times
    It's long & tough, but basically a flat course.
    No reason at all to take 5 hours. 4:15 is more than enough to get around here

There is no good reason why any round of golf should take more than 3 1/2 hours. I'm just relaying my experience

There is no good reason why any round of golf should take more than 3 1/2 hours. I'm just relaying my experience

some courses are longer than others. some courses have distances between greens and tees which could equate to the length of a hole in itself. a fourball will take longer than a 3 ball, which in turn will take longer than a 2 ball. maybe from your experience, you play alone? sometimes golfers are just crap. :D

Seve OB wrote: »
    some courses are longer than others. some courses have distances between greens and tees which could equate to the length of a hole in itself. a fourball will take longer than a 3 ball, which in turn will take longer than a 2 ball. maybe from your experience, you play alone? sometimes golfers are just crap. :D
    It's a common mistake to think it's crap golfers looking for balls that causes slow play. It isn't. It's all the faffing around on teeboxes, people leaving bags on the wrong side of greens, marking cards before leaving greens, walking off teeboxes as if they are joined at the hip, then looking for other people's balls before looking for your own. When last I played Palmerstown it was all of the above. I waited to play every shot because those in front did most of those things.

It's a common mistake to think it's crap golfers looking for balls that causes slow play. It isn't. It's all the faffing around on teeboxes, people leaving bags on the wrong side of greens, marking cards before leaving greens, walking off teeboxes as if they are joined at the hip, then looking for other people's balls before looking for your own. When last I played Palmerstown it was all of the above. I waited to play every shot because those in front did most of those things.

I agree. But all those things along with all the things I mentioned add up.

Take it all out of it, Palmerstown is still a long track and unless you are playing alone with nobody in front of you, its going to be pretty hard to get around in 3:30 as you pointed out

Nearest the pin on 10 and longest drive on 18 as advised lads and second by palmerstown. We are playing off the greens and in 3 balls depending on final numbers. I will post the tee times when I get confirmation from a few lads.
    PP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Had to drop out late, apologies captain.

Multiple clashing events have come up that I can't avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

I just got the ok from the Boss for this

Had to drop out late, apologies captain.

Multiple clashing events have come up that I can't avoid
    No problem space

Will post the timesheet tonight lads. Plenty of spaces if anyone is looking in on the forum. :)

• Advertisement

12:40-BallyK-Break80-Emurphalot
    12:50-Woodyg-Doublecross-Timgolfer
    1:00-Benny79-Macker1-Davo19
    1:10-Paulos-Post Punk-Tigerwood1

Advertisement