Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

12 acres. Tree plan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Where did you order these from and roughly how much do they cost?
    Are you getting a grant, as far as I know isn't there a grant for low density planting?

Future forests in Cork. Cost about 3,000. Did a bit of research and didnt see any grants available.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

So after a year in planning i am doing an initial planting over the next 2 weekends.

Area B- Field1 Boundry : Roughly 200 meters boundry,

3 'rows' deep. 3 meters rough spacing.
    Majority Alder complemented by Downy Birch and then smaller quantities of Wych elm, silver birch, wild cherry and crab apple.

Oak will be mixed in later in the year.

Am i right in saying that because of the slow growing and less light needs that i can place an oak between 2 alders even though the space between those 2 alders is 3 meteres ?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Accidentally

You'll be fine. Most bare root go in at around 1m gaps anyway. I've Oak, Alder and Cherry mixed on a field edge for near 15 years and all seem happy with each other.

Don't be surprised if the oak grows more quickly than you expect. It all depends on the soil, and trees aren't good at reading the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Wasn't oak usually planted amongst faster growing species, so it'd have to strive towards the light and grow straighter?

• Advertisement

You'll be fine. Most bare root go in at around 1m gaps anyway. I've Oak, Alder and Cherry mixed on a field edge for near 15 years and all seem happy with each other.

Don't be surprised if the oak grows more quickly than you expect. It all depends on the soil, and trees aren't good at reading the rules.

Would love to see a photo if you had one handy?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Wasn't oak usually planted amongst faster growing species, so it'd have to strive towards the light and grow straighter?

Yes, it's often planted with nursery trees such as Scots Pine. My comment was more towards the growth rate, it's often not as slow as people expect.

So i got 190 done in a day and a half. 120 Alder, 10 grey willow, 9 wild cherry, 9 crab apple , 9 Silver Birch and 30 Downy Birch.

At the beginning i was trying to place them exactly where i wanted them but towards the end i just wanted them in !!!!

Will go out again this weekend and take a look and replant if i want to move them.

That was just one field ( have to add need some oak, wych elm and goat willow ) but gives me a better idea of how and how many i need for the remaining 6 fields.

Was a very interesting field to start with as it was sloping down to a wet area so could take different kinds. Got a good indication of which parts had the deepest and best soil which i will use on the next fields so i know which trees will be suited in which areas.

Not planting now for a another month so gives me time to amend/correct my planning for the other fields.

Well done. Take a few photos now so you can look back and laugh in 10 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Or hire a lad who knows what he's at, with a Hitachi.
    Let him mound it to your plan, and yourself and a mate follow behind planting.
    Best 200 euro you'll ever spend! :D

Inspired by this thread and the OP's progress and would welcome help from the experienced people here.

First off..........I explored the route of getting a grant and having a forestry outfit plant. I decided to do this myself for full control without encumberances.

I am a townie retired to a 15-acre smallholding in Mayo so forgive my ignorance I am learning fast (I have to!!!) Last February I planted out 140 baby trees (rowan, willow, hazel, hawthorn, whitethorn, blackthorn, five heritage Irish species apple trees and a couple of crab-apple) during "The Beast From the East" using pickaxe and shovel. Btw I am 70 years old 5'0" woman with osteoarthritis in hands and feet so it took some doing.

The "future forest" not only survived but thrives.

A further 450 mixed deciduous trees are on order for coming February. I need an easier way to get this lot into an acre of sloping land (about 45 degrees) with a lot of large stone and rushes.

Is a one-person petrol-driven auger with an 8" drill a good option for this? I have had difficulty getting contractors to give my jobs a second glance as they are small. Is this equipment usable by a short person with limited strength but will do it myself as a last resort. Are there other alternatives I do not know about?

The question from the townie is "what exactly is a lad with a hitachi", where could I find him and how much would it cost?

• Advertisement

Lad with a Hitachi is a full sized tracked digger. It's way over the top for what you're doing and could leave your land in ****e.

If the grounds full of rocks and impracticle to dig by hand, try find someone with a mini digger.

You mentioned that you planted blackthorn. Unless you really love them, I would pull them. They spread by runners and will gradually take over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Chisler2 wrote: »
    Is a one-person petrol-driven auger with an 8" drill a good option for this? I have had difficulty getting contractors to give my jobs a second glance as they are small. Is this equipment usable by a short person with limited strength but will do it myself as a last resort. Are there other alternatives I do not know about?
    Realistically, in your circumstance, I'd have to say an emphatic "No!" to this idea.

In operation, posthole borers are sort of like a combination of a moderately heavy jackhammer and a very large drill, and are in my opinion, utterly unsuitable for dragging around a rocky hillside trying to make 450 holes.
    Even on relatively level and stone-free land, they require a combination of a fair degree of physical strength and commitment to keep them under control, and caution and anticipation for when (not 'if') they snag on a rock or root and try to twist the power head in the opposite direction.

Really, the least-labour/mechanical way here is to get in a mini-digger and operator to do the groundwork, but even that'll be tricky on a 1:1 slope as you describe.

Unfortunately, we're now back to the pick and spade. :(
    It DOES however, give the option of making the planting pattern truly random, and the placing of the saplings in the best possible soil conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭victor8600

Melodeon wrote: »
    Realistically, in your circumstance, I'd have to say an emphatic "No!" to this idea.... posthole borers are ... utterly unsuitable for dragging around a rocky hillside trying to make 450 holes...

I can confirm this. I had tried to use a petrol auger / posthole drill in a rocky ground. The only advantage of the drill I can see is that it does make a nice deep round hole, provided the soil has no rocks (or roots) larger than 2 inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Thud

find some young lads who want to make a few quid, tell them they can skip the gym that day and pay by number of trees they plant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

OK, I need to ask. What is the purpose of planting 1600 trees on your land at a cost of 3 grand (not including the incredible amount of labour)?
    Given that there's no grant involved it's either
    (a) a business venture or
    (b) a very selfless act.
    I'm genuinely interested as I could be in a similar situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mbob

OK, I need to ask. What is the purpose of planting 1600 trees on your land at a cost of 3 grand (not including the incredible amount of labour)?
    (b) a very selfless act.

I'm intrigued too and might be in a similar situation. I have a 10 area plot that is just one field, I hope to section off 1 acre of this and build a house for myself on it, fence off/sow a hedge creating a long driveway to the 1 acre plot. I'd then like to divide the remaining 9 acres into paddocks. Ideally I do this by plating tress/hedges, is there any grant available for this type of planting?

(b) a very selfless act.

It's obviously not a business venture, but is there something wrong with planting trees just because you like trees. Not everything has to be done on a 'what's in it for me' basis.

It's obviously not a business venture, but is there something wrong with planting trees just because you like trees. Not everything has to be done on a 'what's in it for me' basis.

Where did anyone suggest there was something wrong with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

(b) a very selfless act.

I don't know that it has to be either of those. What about just spending money to create something you can enjoy, added benefit that it is good for the environment and local nature. Plenty of people spend far more on their gardens just to be able to look at them and enjoy them.

I'm actually surprised how cheap it is, mind if were to cost the labor would be lot more.

Ok. So why folks ask :)

The land is surrounded by a spruce plantation which was recently cut down. That gave me the idea then to 'frame' the land myself with my own boundary of trees.

But my choice of trees was also influenced by which ones would benefit nature the most and then choosing only Irish native trees. ( for example the goat willow is one of the highest plants for pollen ! )

My other interests are wildflowers and hay meadows ( have sown yellow rattle in a small test field and my austrian scythe is all ready for next summer ) so its all part of a greater plan.

Its also very interesting and a nice hobby. For example, last night i have been researching trembling poplars ( the only Irish Aspen tree ) which i will plant but trying to decide where ( they send up suckers ) to plant them is a great mind challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mbob

80sDiesel wrote: »

The land is surrounded by a spruce plantation which was recently cut down. That gave me the idea then to 'frame' the land myself with my own boundary of trees.

But my choice of trees was also influenced by which ones would benefit nature the most and then choosing only Irish native trees. ( for example the goat willow is one of the highest plants for pollen ! )

My other interests are wildflowers and hay meadows ( have sown yellow rattle in a small test field and my austrian scythe is all ready for next summer ) so its all part of a greater plan.

Its also very interesting and a nice hobby. For example, last night i have been researching trembling poplars ( the only Irish Aspen tree ) which i will plant but trying to decide where ( they send up suckers ) to plant them is a great mind challenge.

Fair play to you, great to hear of a genuine interest that is is beneficial to the environment. I am similarly minded. as stated above I'd like to go down a similar route, and plant to dived a 10 acre plot into several smaller paddocks, however I dont want the cost to be too high, hence my question of available grants?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I didn't take from your post that you were- but maybe the two option thing seemed a bit coarse as a description? I'm not criticizing, just observing. And well done the OP and the others doing or planning similar., it is a fascinating project.

Lad with a Hitachi is a full sized tracked digger. It's way over the top for what you're doing and could leave your land in ****e.

If the grounds full of rocks and impracticle to dig by hand, try find someone with a mini digger.

You mentioned that you planted blackthorn. Unless you really love them, I would pull them. They spread by runners and will gradually take over the place.

Thank you for that Accidentally! I did hire and use a mini-digger awhile back to re-dig ditches but even on that level field I felt insecure as the rocks were large and the digger-base relatively small for the weights I was swinging around.

The February planting will be in a field with a 30 - 40 degree gradient......which is why I thought a hand-held petrol-fuelled auger would get over the issue of rocky, rush-filled, sloping ground.

Melodeon wrote: »
    Realistically, in your circumstance, I'd have to say an emphatic "No!" to this idea.

In operation, posthole borers are sort of like a combination of a moderately heavy jackhammer and a very large drill, and are in my opinion, utterly unsuitable for dragging around a rocky hillside trying to make 450 holes.
    Even on relatively level and stone-free land, they require a combination of a fair degree of physical strength and commitment to keep them under control, and caution and anticipation for when (not 'if') they snag on a rock or root and try to twist the power head in the opposite direction.

Really, the least-labour/mechanical way here is to get in a mini-digger and operator to do the groundwork, but even that'll be tricky on a 1:1 slope as you describe.

Unfortunately, we're now back to the pick and spade. :(
    It DOES however, give the option of making the planting pattern truly random, and the placing of the saplings in the best possible soil conditions.

Hitting big rocks in these fields would be certain. I was worried about investing in a power-auger and ending up with a broken wrist or hip within hours of starting the job, as well as having to lift it to what is my shoulder-height to place it for the next hole. You also picked up on my worry as far as the mini-digger with operator is concerned. No way would I risk an operator's wellbeing given the lie of the land.

It looks as if (sigh!) it's back to the pick-axe and spade and putting in a small number of saplings each day. "Volunteer" ash, rowan and willow have been establishing in pockets of thin soil between the huge clumps of rushes and I shall take advantage of those areas to place the new trees...........work with Nature, not against! Your advice is much appreciated. I will put up a picture when the work is done.

Thud wrote: »
    find some young lads who want to make a few quid, tell them they can skip the gym that day and pay by number of trees they plant?

Option tried and failed! Still the case that school-leavers anywhere west of the Shannon are at the airport the day after they get their Leaving Cert results, headed for Canada for two years or forever!!!!

80sDiesel wrote: »

Appreciate you sharing your research and experiences here. I shall include the lesser-known species you mentioned into my own planting. It will be an interesting experiment as my acid, marginal land at elevation and whipped by Atlantic storms is a far cry from the paddocks in your photo. They will be "shivering Aspen" up on that mountainside without a doubt. My ambition is to "turn it around" and create sufficient shelter for bees and other pollinators.

Sorry, I probably phrased it badly. It was meant as a comment on planting trees without incentive or reward being a selfless act. I just see it as extreme gardening for untidy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Listening to the radio earlier, each person is paying approx 200euro in carbon tax through taxation and they are talking about how this will rise in the future.

Surely people who are planting lots of trees could be exempt from any such carbon tax.

I have been planting an Oak forest for the past 15 years and it would be good if some monatary gain could be gotten to offset the cost and labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

50 acres of pasture is calculated to sequestrate about 160 tons of carbon.
    Can we all get a carbon credit please?

• Advertisement

I'd consider it a selfless act so, and fair play to you for it. I'd love to do something similar, if only I could find a tree that 'd thrive in wet shallow soil on the side of a mountain at the edge of the sea:D

Advertisement