Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards.ie Christmas Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59,551 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Confirmed participants to date:

* TRS30
    * Deja Boo
    * Rubberdungeon
    * FluffyTowel
    * Tomo75
    * Kitten_K
    * MirrorWall14
    * Toots

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I'll be honest, I'm a bit wary of committing to participate for varying reasons, how soon do you need a definitive y/n?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Hi DvB- I understand if you would prefer not to personally get involved. If you'd rather not personally participate but are OK with 'AN Other' standing in your place that would be absolutely fine alternative.

Re a 'definitive Yes/ No': I've been liaising with Loughc and the arrangement at the moment is try to demonstrate that there is a sufficient level of engagement/ willingness to participate before moving to the next stage. If and when we get to that point, Loughc will start the process of liaising with the podcast contacts he has to see about the recording options. At the moment, we're about halfway there in terms of numbers of participants.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TBH I'd either be in fully or out completely, if you get to the stage where you're just 1 short of progressing to the next stage I'll likely fill the gap.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I'll put you down as a provisional 'Yes' ,subject to the event reaching the next stage. Many thanks.

Confirmed participants to date:

* TRS30
    * Deja Boo
    * Rubberdungeon
    * FluffyTowel
    * Tomo75
    * Kitten_K
    * MirrorWall14
    * Toots
    * DvB (provisional)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Hi guys I just feel like jumping in here.

Many thanks to everyone who’s agreed to participate I just want to clarify it’ll be 2020 before this could realistically even take place.

There’s absolutely nothing in place for a generic podcast that I was planning let alone an extremely ambitious panto special. I think we can cool the conversation for now as it’ll be a long long time off if ever. :)

Loughc wrote: »
    Hi guys I just feel like jumping in here.

Many thanks to everyone who’s agreed to participate I just want to clarify it’ll be 2020 before this could realistically even take place.

There’s absolutely nothing in place for a generic podcast that I was planning let alone an extremely ambitious panto special. I think we can cool the conversation for now as it’ll be a long long time off if ever. :)

I rather suspect that the prospect of a distant and indeterminate date for the project will have the effect of not so much cooling the momentum as completely halting it. That would be a pity as the podcast could offer the forum a wonderful opportunity to showcase itself to a wider audience.

There is plenty of goodwill evident in the forum so -given the right conditions- it's entirely conceivable that a dedicated few can get this delivered. If any form of podcast is to be realistically delivered, it will need to be championed and pushed by the forum team. It was gratifying to have garnered firm expressions of interest from 8 forum members and another leaning towards participation, so with the right conditions, it is possible that the project can be resurrected.

I think that I will step aside from the panto project at this time but I'll leave the script as it stands as an attachment to this post. If there's a champion for the panto podcast, please feel free to take the attached script and rework it as you see fit, if necessary- it would certainly have been redrafted as participants became known so that each person got to enjoy their 15 milliseconds of fame :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

Hey all

Well, that’s a shame. Seemed like a really cool idea, and great script from namenotavailabl.

Would be happy to assist if it would move this forward. As a thought, I saw from a previous post from the Christmas FM guys (think it was an AMA actually) that they have their studio all year round, although they don’t use it most of the year. Maybe they could be approached to see if they could help with the Podcast.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Hey all

Well, that’s a shame. Seemed like a really cool idea, and great script from namenotavailabl.

Would be happy to assist if it would move this forward. As a thought, I saw from a previous post from the Christmas FM guys (think it was an AMA actually) that they have their studio all year round, although they don’t use it most of the year. Maybe they could be approached to see if they could help with the Podcast.

Christmas FM charge €240 a hour for rent of studio and sound engineer rates, as a sound engineer needs to be at the studio when in use. I’ve approached that Avenue too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

Christmas FM charge €240 a hour for rent of studio and sound engineer rates, as a sound engineer needs to be at the studio when in use. I’ve approached that Avenue too.

Hey Loughc

Ok - that's fair enough! Fair play for checking out all of the avenues. Sure, let's not call this one dead yet. I have a bit of time in the next while where I could have a look - not promising anything of course(!), but your idea of a Boardsie podcast is really cool, and the script is a lot of fun. I have a background in journalism from a previous life, so let me do a bit of digging and see if I can help / find somebody who can help. :)

• Advertisement

Didn't the staff of Boards itself do a few podcast type events -possibly a sort of 'overview of what we do' or an 'Ask-us-anything' type event? I wonder if there is merit in approaching one of the staff to see if they could assist.

Edit- I sent Mark a PM to see if he can advise if there's any facilities available :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

:D *practices me party piece on the tin whistle..... jest in cases* :pac:

^^ that level of playing is too talented compared to what I had in mind for you :)

;) ah but you havenae heard me screech play! (makes the neighbour dogs howl, I do!)

would you prefer I get out the oul bagpipes ??? (cos aint no one want to hear dat!) ;)

Has to be the tin whistle to fit with the script.

This is what I'm looking for. it's even quite good compared to the threshold :p

https://youtu.be/pVFYa-yRb8A?t=29

Are you able for it?

I know, am just teasing :D

I dunno where me whistle is (packed away somewhere), but am sure I can properly mess up the scales (hopefully you will partially recognize a note or two..... :o maybe*)

*one can only hope :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Has to be the tin whistle to fit with the script.

This is what I'm looking for. it's even quite good compared to the threshold :p

https://youtu.be/pVFYa-yRb8A?t=29

Are you able for it?

I’ve been practicing my robot dance just in case :D

Important for a radio style podcast to have all the right moves, TRS ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Important for a radio style podcast to have all the right moves, TRS ;)

I like to fully submerge myself in a role :pac:

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    I’ve been practicing my robot dance just in case :D

Cannae wait to hear the Robot dance sound effects... with a Cork accent :D

Sound engineer me Arabella. (That’s predictive text for me-arse)

:P

It’s not really just the costs or expertise- I could do a lot of what’s required-+so leave cost aside for a mo- It’s the panto script itself. It’s too complicated to work if you went the route of separate recordings then joined together. Keep it simple first is my advice- then expand.

A podcast won’t involve much cost- seriously, it’s an audio recording not toy story 5

Fk_it24 wrote: »

i luv PlentyOhToole

I know dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I know nothing about the technicalities but could you do a rough around the edges podcast by just doing a group call and recording it? Audio wouldn’t be great but it might work

It might be useful to know where everyone who is interested in participating is based so that the logistics of any potential recording arrangement can be understood.
    I'm not in the script but if there was a recording session I'd love to try be there. Am based in Tralee, can travel if work/ life permits.

It might be useful to know where everyone who is interested in participating is based so that the logistics of any potential recording arrangement can be understood.
    I'm not in the script but if there was a recording session I'd love to try be there. Am based in Tralee, can travel if work/ life permits.

Yea we will not be doing that. A request like that is borderline breaching GDPR....

Once again I feel like I'm repeating myself and will certainly be locking this thread if I have to repeat this once again, this Panto script is borderline an impossible task and is not what the original concept of the Podcast was intended for.

Any participation would have been done remotely online like mirrorwall suggested through a online call there's plenty of podcast recording apps for this purpose that can patch in several users.

Currently there is no podcast and at present to get a simple episode planned/sorted/recorded and then edited would be months off. To plan something of your Panto scale would literally be years off as we have no foundation to build on.

It’s not really just the costs or expertise- I could do a lot of what’s required-+so leave cost aside for a mo- It’s the panto script itself. It’s too complicated to work if you went the route of separate recordings then joined together. Keep it simple first is my advice- then expand.

Agreed, the original plan is for a host and a co-host just to discuss a few christmassy topics in a lighthearted way. The Panto script is a very ambitious undertaking and not one we could jump into straight away, established podcasts don't even try similar special episodes until years down the line.

My apologies if that constitutes a GDPR issue. It wasn't intended that any location data be so specific to an individual person to enable their identification, so me saying I'm from Tralee means I'm one of approx 25000 people in the town. My understanding is that you'd need to gather other individual pieces of data to enable an identification of me, but obviously if it's a possible concern for Boards it's best not to reveal locations.

Could I clarify with you Loughc:

* If there is a group of people willing to try and progress the project, are you OK with that? You personally wouldn't necessarily need to get actively involved in the logistics- essentially just let the group see if something can be arranged. It may well transpire that it can't be delivered given the constraints.
    * If the logistics are sorted:
    > would you be willing to try encourage participation by the forum members?
    > would you yourself be willing to participate in the script as it is currently drafted (you've a reasonably prominent amount of dialogue)?

• Advertisement

Could I clarify with you Loughc:

* If there is a group of people willing to try and progress the project, are you OK with that? You personally wouldn't necessarily need to get actively involved in the logistics- essentially just let the group see if something can be arranged. It may well transpire that it can't be delivered given the constraints.
    * If the logistics are sorted:
    > would you be willing to try encourage participation by the forum members?
    > would you yourself be willing to participate in the script as it is currently drafted (you've a reasonably prominent amount of dialogue)?

I don't think we should pursuit any group participation project until the initial project can take off first.

Advertisement