Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ongoing religious scandals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Ireland should turn Protestant. That would learn them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Our good source of comedic gold - in a 'it would be funny if it werent so goddamn serious' sort of way friend Cardinal Sean Brady says there is no longer anywhere for abusers to hide in the Catholic Church. Not quite sure if this means he's turning himself in (as someone who aided said abusers)...
    One stand out quote for me is:
    CSB wrote:
    By destroying all arrogance, pride and corruption in the church, by becoming the humble, just and caring community of disciples that Christ intended us to be, we may look back at this historic moment and see in it God’s life-giving and transforming grace.
    Won't be much RCC if you do that now will there?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The Catholic Church should be a model for dealing with this kind of thing? What the flying fook is he on about??!?!?

PS: spittiing image of Dick Cheney

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote: »
    He actually read a letter from 'a Jewish friend' and the Holocaust wasn't mentioned. But why let the facts get in the way of a good story.
    Cantalamessa apologises, kind of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

Today's shoot yourself in the foot again quote from the church.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0408/1224267896125.html

“What we are dealing with now is a cultural battle: the pope embodies moral truths which people don’t accept and for that reason the shortcomings and errors of priests are used as arms against the church,” he told the Vatican daily L’Osservatore Romano.
    Cardinal Sodano, who at the weekend said the church would not be distracted by “idle gossip”, in an apparent reference to the child abuse scandal, again defended the record of the pope and bishops on the issue.
    “It was not the fault of Jesus if he was betrayed by Judas. Nor is it the fault of a bishop if one of his priests sullies himself with grave crimes. And certainly, it is not the responsibility of the pontiff,” he said.

Stop supporting these lunatics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

The Provincial of the Oregon Province in the US sent several pedophile priests to Alaska, where they could abuse children in secret. There's a lot of horror in this article, but for me the worst was that the Jesuits suggested not paying more than €10k in compensation because they would just use it to "get drunk" and it would lead to more abuse claims.

There's also the claim that Benedict asked for (and, naturally, received) immunity from arrest for sex crimes from President Bush.

Link

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

“It was not the fault of Jesus if he was betrayed by Judas. Nor is it the fault of a bishop if one of his priests sullies himself with grave crimes. And certainly, it is not the responsibility of the pontiff,” he said.
    There's an interesting comparison to be made there, alright.

Jesus knew full well he was about be betrayed by Judas, and did nothing to prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Dades wrote: »
    There's an interesting comparison to be made there, alright.

Jesus knew full well he was about be betrayed by Judas, and did nothing to prevent it.

I'm beginning to think this sounds like suicide by cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

legspin wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think this sounds like suicide by cop.
    Had that argument over on the christian forum but they refused to accept that jesus was a hypocritical sinner for committing suicide (by cop). Maybe the catholic hierarchy are just following jesus' lead in the whole sinning department.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Pretty daring Private Eye cover
    1259_big.jpg

Mods move or delete if this isnt the right place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Finally Benedict is stepping up to the plate:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pope-vows-to-get-church-pedophilia-down-to-accepta,17201/
    "This is absolutely unacceptable," Pope Benedict said. "It seems a weakening of faith in God has prevented our priests from exercising moderation when sexually abusing helpless minors."

Oddly enough, I don't have any faith whatsoever and I don't abuse children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

axer wrote: »
    Had that argument over on the christian forum but they refused to accept that jesus was a hypocritical sinner for committing suicide (by cop). Maybe the catholic hierarchy are just following jesus' lead in the whole sinning department.

Anyone who really believes what the church says or the bible is factual needs their heads examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

In fairness, trying to knock sense into them over on the christian forum must be like p*ssing up against a forest fire.

Anyone who really believes what the church says or the bible is factual needs their heads examined.
    And anybody who thinks that something as beguiling, complex and subtle as religion is as dumb as this comment would suggest, should themselves consider having their head examined.

Do try to be a bit more understanding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

When in doubt...

They brought it on themselves for inventing the word scapegoat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

rovert wrote: »
    "They do not want the church, they are its natural enemies. Deep down, historically speaking, the Jews are God killers."

Awesome :D, some proper old-man well stewed blinding hatred on display there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I just hope they keep talking because every time someone talks from the catholic church they dig a deeper hole. Surely catholics should be leaving in droves from the catholic church by now.

I've just cleaned up some posts here.

The gist of these concerned a moderation query re a thread in Christianity which is addressed in feedback.

As you were. :)

Q: How do you know it's bedtime in the Vatican?

A: When the big hand is on the little hand.

robindch wrote: »
    And anybody who thinks that something as beguiling, complex and subtle as religion is as dumb as this comment would suggest, should themselves consider having their head examined.

Do try to be a bit more understanding.

Believing in religion nowadays is akin to being a creationist or a scientologist. All the proof is there that it is a load of rubbish.

You of all people should know that after all the futile attempted discussions you have had with those accross the fence.

Then you tell me my comment is dumb and post this
    robindch wrote: »
    Q: How do you know it's bedtime in the Vatican?

A: When the big hand is on the little hand.

Then you tell me my comment is dumb and post this
    I'm posting a joke. You were not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Believing in religion nowadays is akin to being a creationist or a scientologist. All the proof is there that it is a load of rubbish.

You can prove that all religions are false? Well then, off to collect your nobel prize young man, I have underestimated you.
    You of all people should know that after all the futile attempted discussions you have had with those accross the fence.

Yes, be damned to this discussion of theirs. We should, uh...shoot them instead? Ignore them? Proclaim they are wrong with absolute faith and show no interest in debate? Perfect!

Zillah wrote: »
    You can prove that all religions are false? Well then, off to collect your nobel prize young man, I have underestimated you.

Yes, be damned to this discussion of theirs. We should, uh...shoot them instead? Ignore them? Proclaim they are wrong with absolute faith and show no interest in debate? Perfect!

In all fairness zillah religion proves itself false.

You have read most of the threads on this forum. No religious poster can argue with ANY of the points against religion because there are none.

I would have thought that you would understand but I guess you are happiest when you come in with your usual withering comments, and your fans come along with their thanks.

Grow up.

We are at a pivotal time in history where we can rid the world of this delusion, and it is a delusion.

• Moderators Posts: 51,709 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Popes 2nd in command says that homosexuality, and not the celibacy vows are to blame for the child abuse scandals:mad:
    SANTIAGO, Chile -- The Vatican's second-highest authority says the sex scandals haunting the Catholic Church are linked to homosexuality rather than celibacy vows among priests.

Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone is the Vatican's secretary of state and asserts that "many psychologists and psychiatrists have demonstrated that there is no relation between celibacy and pedophilia."

He says others have shown "that there is a relation between homosexuality and pedophilia," and "that is the problem."

Bertone spoke during a news conference Monday in Chile.

He also asserted that the church had never impeded investigations of pedophilia by priests.

Source

Homosexuals aren't attracted to children, pedophiles are. And pedophiles can be attracted to boys or girls.

And the problem isn't homosexuals, it's that priests were in positions of trust and subsequently abused children.:mad::mad:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

In all fairness zillah religion proves itself false.

You have read most of the threads on this forum. No religious poster can argue with ANY of the points against religion because there are none.

I would have thought that you would understand but I guess you are happiest when you come in with your usual withering comments, and your fans come along with their thanks.

Grow up.

We are at a pivotal time in history where we can rid the world of this delusion, and it is a delusion.

Would you just stop! Stop telling people to grow up and telling them what the forum should be and telling them what "we" should be doing like you are trying to captain and mobilise some imaginary atheist army. I like debating with theists, it's good fun; there are no proofs - that's why there is debate. This whole heavy handed anti-theist aggression is as rabid and unattractive as the worst arguments for religion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

koth wrote: »
    Popes 2nd in command says that homosexuality, and not the celibacy vows are to blame for the child abuse scandals:mad:

Homosexuals aren't attracted to children, pedophiles are. And pedophiles can be attracted to boys or girls.

And the problem isn't homosexuals, it's that priests were in positions of trust and subsequently abused children.:mad::mad:
    Doesn't matter if the tooth fairy caused it, they still covered it up

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement