Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best fry in Dublin (Saturday)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Go directly to the fruit market in Smithfield - it's right opposite. Opens very early (5am) and closes around 2. Open Monday - Saturday (7am opening on Saturday).
    nlgbbbblth wrote:
    How do you get to it from the Luas stop?

What are the opening hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

RVD420 wrote:
    Go directly to the fruit market in Smithfield - it's right opposite. Opens very early (5am) and closes around 2. Open Monday - Saturday (7am opening on Saturday).

thanks
    will check it out next time I'm up

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

My House:d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 andymad

:eek: It was my site that was linked to from mad craic, It lists every place I've had an irish breakfast with a photo and a review.

www.rashersAndEggs.com

I'd really appreciate any reviews people can send me. I've put on 45 stone since I started! :p
    Just slip out your phone and take a photo of the fry. Write a few lines review and send it to the email address listed on the front page -
    sausages at rashers and eggs dot com

Happy eating!
    A

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

I'm sorry to say that one of my all time fave greasy fry-up palace has now closed - the one down the side of the 108 pub in Ranelagh - think it's called the Coffee House, or similar.

They're in the process of closing down <sniff> a sad loss to us all.

• Advertisement

That used to be a nice ranelagh breakfast alright. At the moment the best in ranelagh is hobarts I think.

http://www.rashersandeggs.com - see May 10th and May 1st reviews of Hobarts.

If you call in be sure to send me a reivew for rashers and eggs!

Andy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Was in Del Rios recently. Found it terrible. Would not go back. No black pudding, and rubbery mushrooms! Never heard of the 108 in Ranelagh. There is a pub called the 108 in Rathgar. Where was the 108 in Ranelagh!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Personally I would say The Hungry Monkey in Mulhuddart village near Blanchardstown. Big feed and a grand pot of tae. :D

Yeah I like the Hungry Monkey myself. Those thin cut chips go really nice with the beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I don't even like fry ups much (sacreligous?), but right now, this thread has me wanting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

reddyreddy wrote:
    The best fry up ive came across is in YORE MAs (mod edit)
    Shill. Reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Just found out that the Coffee House in Rathgar (down the back of the 108) is open again! YAY!

It's run by three mental Italian guys, and the fry is fantastic.

the Jumbo is e10.90 - 2 rashers, 2 sausages, 2 eggs, mushrooms, one black, one white pudding (and big puddings too, about as big around as a can of beer) beans (Heinz), hash brown, fried tomato, with big mug of proper coffee, toast (and loads of butter) and OJ.
    Additions are e1 each

If you're lucky, they'll give you a Sardinian donut, which is like a real donut, but with lemon zest in it....... or something, it's deep fried and covered in sugar - do you really care what's in it?

Still miss the mammies that ran the Coffee shop before, but the Italian guys
    are funny and definetly brighten up a hungover morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Thanks for the Matt The Rashers recommendations! Went there on sunday morning, got the famous breakfast, 9/10.
    For €8.50 you get 3 rashers, 3 sausages, decent pile of beans, decent pile of mushrooms, 2 perfectly cooked eggs (not crusty, i hate those crusty fried eggs) half a tomato, hash brown, liver, toast and tea. It's one of those big oval plates just full of food. Would have got 10/10, but the tea tasted a bit weird. But the food was all done perfectly, great quality sausages and rashers. Even the waitresses were good looking!
    Place was jammed at 12:30pm, and millions of people coming in and getting breakfast rolls to take away which is a good sign. Great service even though it was mad busy, they're used to loads of customers which is a good sign.

Cafe Java (few around town, Blackrock, Leeson Street etc) do a great breakfast too. Not the traditional one, but their breakfast special is great. It's (from the bottom up)3 slices of McCambridge's brown bread toasted, ballymaloe, crispy streaky rashers, 2 poached eggs with caramelised onions on top. Simple, but great. Nice tea too.

BunnyKelly -

Will you send that in as a review to me at www.rashersAndEggs.com ?

Looks great!

Quint wrote:
    Cafe Java (few around town, Blackrock, Leeson Street etc) do a great breakfast too. Not the traditional one, but their breakfast special is great. It's (from the bottom up)3 slices of McCambridge's brown bread toasted, ballymaloe, crispy streaky rashers, 2 poached eggs with caramelised onions on top. Simple, but great. Nice tea too.

I did a review of cafe java. It was good, but not great. best one so far in Blackrock was the overpriced one upstairs in the superquinn centre. Worth every overprices cent. yummsies!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dublin2galway

andymad wrote: »
    I did a review of cafe java. It was good, but not great. best one so far in Blackrock was the overpriced one upstairs in the superquinn centre. Worth every overprices cent. yummsies!

Update on that one upstairs in superquinn - it no longer does the all day breakfast. Nor does the Goat pub, or the otrher cafe downstairs in superquinn centre in balckrock

(Yes, I spent my Saturday travelling all round Dublin looking for a review for rashersandeggs.com and ended up eating a burger :mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Randomswinger

I used to hit Matt the Rasher a fair bit until Pickles opened across the road beside the puncture repair place

Breakfast on a saturday is savage - full irish or eggs benedickt or eggs florentine waffles and pancakes are even available sometimes. A bit slower then Matt's as its cooked to order but well worth the wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

nads wrote: »
    there is no places anymore that do frys to the degree of decency...

every place have pre-cooked cr*p subsequentially re-heated in a microwave.

I was amazed in 'Woodstock' in Phibsboro a guy ordering fry components to then be stuck in the queue so long to pay that he, himself, said to the check-out girl to bung it in the microwave for a few seconds! He was some pro!

Sorry...

The nearest thing i got to a good fry was out in Maynooth, which is Kildare i suppose, forget the name of the place but it's near the Uni with a red facade.

Thats the Rye. I prefer the Twist in Maynooth for a fry though. You get more eggs. Hmmmm....... Sausages are nicer in the rye though and you get nice brown bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Theres a little tiny cafe near where I live on James Street, its a really greasy place but you get a lovely fry for 8 quid or so. Its called the Royal Kitchen which I think is funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 gillybeans

I used to hit Matt the Rasher a fair bit

+1 for Matts!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Can anyone think of a dacent fry on baggot street, nassua street or thereabouts? Once a week i always wind up walking into town in between the time the pubs stop serving lunches and before they start doing dinners. And a fecking panini aint doing the job if ye get me:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Gerrys on montague St, (spell) just off harcourt st, does the best fryups full stop. Won a few awards also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

It has to be Sheries on Middle Abbey Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Gerrys on montague St, (spell) just off harcourt st, does the best fryups full stop. Won a few awards also.

and i think the full brekkie €6.50 including tea and toast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Thats right, great value and the guys are a friendly bunch. Have been going there for a couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Pickles in Sundrive for a tasty Parma ham on delicious brown toast. And a decent cuppa.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Spread wrote: »
    Pickles in Sundrive for a tasty Parma ham on delicious brown toast. And a decent cuppa.:)

:confused:

So many things wrong with that statement, for one I can't imagine Pickles been the name above the door of a place that does quality fries. Next parma ham :mad: ffs bacon might have saved this but parma ham, christ I have images of metro's in pink shirts eating their delicious parma ham on brown toast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Suffice it to say that PICKLES appears in the bible twice ...... and now in boards.ie! The fact that it is also a deli may have something to do with it. I'll ask today and post. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'm dissappointed in this thread. Very very much so.

None of you have been to Violets? Noone?

On Dorset Street, towards the Drumcondra end. I save it for my "mother of god" hangovers, it's a divine experience. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Truth be told though, I've never been able to order the big big fry up... From what I remember, it's a burger with bun, pork chops, sausages, beans, mushrooms, rashers, puddings, chips and toast. Oh, and tea or coffee. Though with a meal like that, it has to be tea.

Don't go near the place if there's a match in Croke park though...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I was in there a few years back, generous helpings but a bit too generous with the ould grease too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I'm dissappointed in this thread. Very very much so.

None of you have been to Violets? Noone?

On Dorset Street, towards the Drumcondra end. I save it for my "mother of god" hangovers, it's a divine experience. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Truth be told though, I've never been able to order the big big fry up... From what I remember, it's a burger with bun, pork chops, sausages, beans, mushrooms, rashers, puddings, chips and toast. Oh, and tea or coffee. Though with a meal like that, it has to be tea.

Don't go near the place if there's a match in Croke park though...

Whereabouts is that place?I think i've seen it...

Advertisement