Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New build. Once more into the breech!

• 17-11-2019 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

We have recently purchased a site with full planning permission. We intend on resubmitting planning application for change of design. (have had preliminary discussions with planner so hopefully no big issues there, but you never know)

Anyway, we have a good idea of the basic design of the house we want to build. Fairly standard L shaped bungalow, with provision for rooms in attic space.

The site is fairly sloped from front to back so we are considering having one part of the L as a split level. Maybe about 4 or 5 steps.

Last time we built was about 2005. Looking around the house there are so many things I see we could/should have done differently. It was a Self Build back them and to be honest it nearly drive me to distraction!

Also an awful lot seems to have changed since them in relation to building regs, insulation, ber ratings, heating systems, etc etc.

We are meeting engineer soon to get stated on plans etc. I would appreciate any words of wisdom any if ye might have. Anything at all.
    Ie stuff we should be thinking of now and not when the house is half built or nearly finished.

I'm thinking: heating systems, solar. Energy Ratings, Windows, wiring for alarms and home entertainment etc etc.

Everything and anything really, fire it at me.

Cheers
    Cushtie.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Do a passive house course.
    Separately do an air-tightness course.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Cushtie

BryanF wrote: »
    Do a passive house course.
    Separately do an air-tightness course.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Cushtie wrote: »
    Any recommendations?

PRODOMO do them.

Definitely do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Forget about the split level, apart from the utilitarian aspect it will impact your flexibility in meeting the relevant access regs, unless the wheelchairs are tracked :)
    In addition, the additional engineering design will cost and unless it is done right you will eventually get a crack between the two sections.
    Read this
    https://www.gilleducation.ie/secondary-construction-studies/secondary-construction-studies/construction-technology
    Now don't sniff at it because its a school book: its a mine of good information, right from house orientation

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I'm thinking we will probably need some sort of plant room as we are going down the road of Air source heat pump, Solar panels, underfloor hearing etc. What size should I be looking to allow for plant room? Any recommendation for position within the house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You should also provide space for a buffer tank/thermal store for the hidden hearing heating!, so as you can max the use of night time
    lecky

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

So just coming back to this. Plans have gone in so hoping to have planning in a couple of months, all going well. He said.

Next step will be preparing building drawings and specifications for the tender document to send out to building contractors. So who prepares the tender document? I's this something the engineer would do or do I need a QS for this?

I haven't asked Engineer, hoping to get an idea here first.

There was a poster in the costs sticky thread that said he prepared a very comprehensive tender document and this aided greatly in keeping the costs on budget as no big surprises arose afterwards. It looks like this poster is no longer active unfortunately.

We are looking at 1700sq feet, with scope to develop attic space in the future.

Advertisement