Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nearly Zero Energy Building Standard

• 02-12-2019 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've heard that there is an exemption from the Nearly Zero Energy Building Standard for once off, self build, houses in rural areas. I this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

o2o8 wrote: »
    I've heard that there is an exemption from the Nearly Zero Energy Building Standard for once off, self build, houses in rural areas. I this true?

There is not.

You may opt out of the BCaR process (which requires you to have a design professional certify that the building complied with the building regulations) but you cannot opt out of the requirements of the regulations themselves.

If you were to build a house below the requirements, you may be subject to enforcement by the local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

No. That's not true at all.

It applies to all dwellings from 1st November 2019 unless you already have planning and have substantial works complete by 31 October 2020. (If you fall in that category you still have to meet the previous version of the Part L regs which is a little less onerous but still quite detailed.)

• Subscribers Posts: 40,968 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The building regulations does not differentiate between:

Urban and rural
    Self build or contractor
    One off or scheme build.

All subject to the same regs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Why anyone wouldnt build to this standard if not Passive is beyond reason...

All that effort, time and money to not build the best fabric house possible... :confused:

Advertisement