Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forestry, thinnings & Brexit...

• 17-11-2019 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

I have forestry around the 18 yr mark that badly needs thinning. Road grant etc applied for & I had a few contractors walk the site last year & make offers. It's all gone v quiet tho...

Just wondering if the threat of a disorderly Brexit has effected the market? (The forestry company I'm dealing with initially said they'd at least have the roads in by now & blamed Dept inspector but that's another story...)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I don't see how brexit will affect forestry, AFAIK the tariffs on wood products are fairly low, 5% I think. However I do recall a sawmill in laoise that specializes in making pallets, saying that demand had slackened off, but that was because of business being slow anyway. How big are your trees and what type are they?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

Pallet and sawlog prices are falling since August and are continuing to drop. Stakes and pulp haven't moved and shouldn't.

The demand has dropped but unless you had a 1000 ton of pallet to drop into a sawmill in a month they will take it. It's a pain I know to be getting a lower price but the long term thing is it will improve.

I've said this to few clients of mine that if they thinking of thinning or the crop is ready, just thin it. Delayed thinning will make you loose thousands a hectare and not the hundreds less you make from thinning in bad times. Clearfell always when the market is good. Even explore the biomass side of things for pulp, works well for us for both round log to add value and brash off of clearfell sites.

Advertisement