Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forestry as a career in Ireland?

Options
  • 15-10-2019 7:04pm

Hi All

What are the opportunities/job prospects like in Leinster when it comes to a career in forestry? We keep hearing about the plans to increase Ireland's forest coverage and how there's many opportunities as a result. Would you agree? Do well paid jobs exist?

I have a business degree and ten years experience in business consultancy and don't fancy going back to University/third level unless it's essential but it's something I'd do if I had to if there are good opportunities...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I looked into it in 2010, admittedly during the worst of the recession, and as I recall it, they were not recruiting for foresters at all in this country.

I would be interested in this career area also but like yourself not entirely keen on having to go back to college.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There are 344 employees of Coillte on LinkedIn, including at least 1 forester.
    I'd say reaching out to them or ringing the company and asking for a chat with someone would be a positive way to approach getting information.

(I'm not trying to be smart, but I have no relevant direct information to have). This is effectively what LinkedIn is for. If trying to connect with someone, write a note with your connection request suggest you'd love the opportunity to hear about their role.

Great suggestion, am doing that too. Thought there'd be a few more insights in the Forestry forum too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Blackcurrants

As well as chatting to the semi-state (do you want to go from private to state?!) why not have a chat with the Irish based forestry companies like Veon and Green Belt, or consultants through the AIFC.
    I would say that forestry has a big future here in Ireland. There looks like there is going to be large land usage change in the not so distant future due to lack of people taking on family farming. Most marginal land is very difficult to make money with farming but can be profitable with forestry. Plus you're not in the office 365 and you get to see the country. That'd be my 10c.

• Advertisement
Advertisement