Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Saw Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Thepillowman

Just had a look thought that website. Unfortunately the only part they carry to suit my saw is a fuel pick up line. Looks like the little 020av is a bit on the old side for most parts

Apologies I read that as a 020t will ask around if you are on Facebook check out vintage chainsaw collectors Europe page someone might have something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Always worth watching www.ebay.de ( German ebay) and www.chainsawcollectors.se

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Heavy handed

Apologies I read that as a 020t will ask around if you are on Facebook check out vintage chainsaw collectors Europe page someone might have something.

I’ll check it out. There’s bound to be one out there somewhere

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Always worth watching www.ebay.de ( German ebay) and www.chainsawcollectors.se

Already have some parts coming from the German eBay as we speak. That chainsaw collectors forum looks very promising, already see a few 020av owners on there

• Registered Users Posts: 33 deccydohc

robclay26 wrote: »
    am looking at a Husqvarna 445 with 18” bar, anybody got any reviews on them? They any good ?
    Cheers

Can get it here with no additional cost on the 18" guide bar. it comes standard with the 15"

https://robertkee.ie/product/husqvarna-445-chainsaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

deccydohc wrote: »
    Can get it here with no additional cost on the 18" guide bar. it comes standard with the 15"

https://robertkee.ie/product/husqvarna-445-chainsaw

If you can stretch to the 550xp MK2 as well you’ll have a much better saw that’ll run an 18” bar.
    I run a 15” on my 550 and it’s a beast.

Anybody seen or have a Stihl 090.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Listening to the radio this morning, there's a proposal to increase ethanol from 5% to 10% in petrol. What will this do for chainsaw engines?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Listening to the radio this morning, there's a proposal to increase ethanol from 5% to 10% in petrol. What will this do for chainsaw engines?

It means that occasional users will probably have to remember to always run the saw dry before putting it away.

Anybody seen or have a Stihl 090.

Have a contra/lightning its predecessor.

• Advertisement

Have a contra/lightning its predecessor.

That’s a pretty cool saw to own. Was just searching around for any local that might be coming up for sale. Been so rare it’s been a endless search.

That’s a pretty cool saw to own. Was just searching around for any local that might be coming up for sale. Been so rare it’s been a endless search.

Not too many for sale in this country few come up at times on ebay.de.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Supcycle

The battery electric Stihl is the only job for around the farm. No need for ear defenders

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    It means that occasional users will probably have to remember to always run the saw dry before putting it away.

Occasional users in particular would be mad to use anything other than Aspen or equivalent IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I was looking at getting an electric chainsaw, does anyone know how strong a gene would I need to run it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

20 kva should be about enough

invicta wrote: »
    20 kva should be about enough

:eek:

would one of those cheap silent generators from Lidl or Aldi work ?

I could cut all day in silence anywhere !!!

SCOL wrote: »

Radical idea here, instead of buying a petrol generator and an electric chainsaw, just buy a petrol saw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Czhornet

SCOL wrote: »

Sounds like some "out of hours" work is being planned! ;)

Czhornet wrote: »
    Sounds like some "out of hours" work is being planned! ;)

Yes, that would be a nice way of putting it ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OP might be worth a look, says higher amp batteries are available.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

A question for the foresty history ppl here.
    When did humans start replanting forests? I've never heard of any mention of it in history

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Ok lads, I've about 250 to spend on a occasionally used saw, that will be cutting smaller logs from my father in laws trees. Any recommendations??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

tinner777 wrote: »
    Ok lads, I've about 250 to spend on a occasionally used saw, that will be cutting smaller logs from my father in laws trees. Any recommendations??

Thanks

Ye’d get a Husqvarna 135 for that sort of money.
    https://robertkee.ie/product/husqvarna-135-chainsaw2

Or a Stihl MS 170.
    https://robertkee.ie/product/stihl-chainsaw-ms-170

For occasional use, I’d recommend going for a bigger brand rather than a cheaper one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Look, normally I'd recommend a big brand (I have 2 stihls and a husky for farm work) but last week I bought a 53cc lidl saw for 99 euro to keep in the boot of the car and I have to say its the best bang for buck I've had in a long time. 18" oregon bar and chain, and started straight out of the box with no adjustment. Belted through a load of 12" boughs I had to get rid of, surprisingly happy with it. If its for occasional work you really won't go wrong.

tinner777 wrote: »

Thanks

If you’ll buy used that budget will get you a cracker of a Husqvarna 55. It will outlast anything that kind of money can buy new, it’s very well built (magnesium alloy crankcase just like the XP type pro saws) and brand new spares are cheap and plentiful.

If you ever need to have work done on it, any small engine guy can work on it. They’re a superb saw.

Run it on Aspen.

And if you don’t have and won’t buy the safety gear, forget the chainsaw and get a 24-30” bow saw instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 deccydohc

Look, normally I'd recommend a big brand (I have 2 stihls and a husky for farm work) but last week I bought a 53cc lidl saw for 99 euro to keep in the boot of the car and I have to say its the best bang for buck I've had in a long time. 18" oregon bar and chain, and started straight out of the box with no adjustment. Belted through a load of 12" boughs I had to get rid of, surprisingly happy with it. If its for occasional work you really won't go wrong.

Great for short time occassional work, the price you paid will factor in when the saw is useless after a year or two, something goes wrong and theres no spare parts available. STIHL give 15 years guarantee spare parts, Husqvarna are also probably similar. Always worth the investment compared to cheap alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Hi all, following on from previous discussion on a saw for ~€250. Have a shed full of old floorboards and decking etc for cutting up.
    On the Stihl/Husqvarna front there seems to be 3 options at that price level.
    Stihl MS 170 - €230
    Stihl MS 180 - €250
    Husqvarna 135 - €250.

The 2 x Stihls have a chain gauge of 0.043", which I've read (on this forum and elsewhere) can be a little on the light side.
    The Husqvarna is 0.050", which is obviously better but still not the 0.063" you get on bigger saws. Also the Husqvarna has a bit more power in it.
    What are folks opinions on the above options?
    Cheers,

Advertisement