Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bitumen or suitable sealant for tree.

Options
  • 09-09-2019 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Have a large healthy Sycamore tree with some branches that are growing in above house garage,have had a tree surgeon out to assess the job as he was working nearby,he is returning in a few weeks to cut off the offending branches,shape the tree at bottom level branches and tidy up a few branches that someone must have cut off badly in past as you can see where area around them is slightly decayed.
    He said to me if I could get some bitumen or asphalt sealant he would coat said areas with it after he tidies them up with saw.Said it was a great way of stopping risk of decay afterwards.

Priced cans of it on the net and you were talking maybe 70 or 80 euro for it!....seemed pricey to me,anyone with experience recommend a product and how much you would need to fill in around 5 or 6 branch stumps each about the thickness of an average mans arm at shoulder iykwim.Would you get it in a builders merchants or off the net?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Hi all,
    just bumping this, appreciate any replies on where to get a small amount of bitumen or sealant,
    cheers,
    W.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Would Stockholm tar do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭blackbox

As far as I can see the current advice is that cuts should NOT be sealed as it inhibits the tree's natural healing process.

Advertisement