Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Emmet

Options
  • 31-08-2003 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

Ive to write an essay on Emmet, school thing plese help out.

How would you rate your knowledge of Robert Emmet?

How would you rate your knowledge of Emmet 7 votes

I know about his life, actions and political opinions and support/agree with them
    0% 0 votes
    I know about his life, actions and political opinions
    42% 3 votes
    I Know a little about him
    14% 1 vote
    Since the begining of this year I've learnt about his life, actions and political opinions
    42% 3 votes
    Since the begining of this year I've learnt a little about him
    0% 0 votes
    I've only heard of him
    0% 0 votes
    I disagree with his actions and opinions
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Have you tried google?

(this is more suited to the History/Heritage board and you'll get a better series of answers there)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep this will be more suited to the History/Heritage board so I'm moving it there with redirect from Politics.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

I've learned bits and bobs on and off through the years about him (both from books and revolutionary memories that seem to be ingrained in the Irish subconcious), but to be honest I don't find him a terribly interesting character.

Honestly you'd think we did failed rebellions as a hobby half the time :(

Option 3 for me thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I went to a teacher on him before and I thought he was quite the interesting character.

Some interesting tidbits that are in my memory are, when he was 14 or 15 he memorised an entire esssay written by the politics professer in trinity[the sorta thing you do on a cold winter night back in the 1790's :)] and when he ran into him at a social function he receited it :)

He also developed the foldable pitchfork.
    He also had a highly trained and armed band of fighters that he planned to use during the 1803 rebellion but never used them for some reason.

He however was always shrowded out by the actions of Wolfe Tone.
    Im sure you can find some good books on the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

he didnt use the highly trained guys cause he knew the rebellion would fail after 2 hours when he saw it become a drunken riot.
    i dont want to know about emmet i wanna know wat you know about emmet. Thanks for that last interesting point but this tread is a failure.
    Any Moderator reading this, PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

But then how would other people learn of the last interesting point?
    Post up some cool info on Emmet :)

ok some interesting points, he was an expert on explosives which im sure you know but as well as making bombs and mines he built some of the most reliable grenades of the day plus some very advanced rockets

also Dublin castle was more or less empty on the day. Emmet could of taken it and would have been well entrenched for weeks! also it would have had a major propargandist and psycological victory.

only moderators have bothered to look at this post, it failed in its initial function(to help me with my esay) and now your just taking the piss so delete it

only moderators have bothered to look at this post, it failed in its initial function(to help me with my esay) and now your just taking the piss so delete it

But I do so LOVE the urine extraction.

The thread has no cause to be locked or deleted, and I simply don't like erasing any part of boards history. Which is sort of what we're all about round here :)

Anyone else; feel free to discuss any aspect about our dear Emmet that comes to mind seeing as the original threads function has failed.

your doing this solely to annoy me arnt you? your getting some sort of sick perverted pleasure out of this

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Vader
    your doing this solely to annoy me arnt you? your getting some sort of sick perverted pleasure out of this

Ahem. Now hard though it may be to believe, this isn't a source of ectasy on my end. There's no part of Boards history I feel comfortable with deleting (Thank god I'm not an admin tbh) and this is no exception.

Now- calm down. This thread being left open won't impact on your value in life as a person. Take a nap. Eat some strawberries. Shave a fig. Get away from it all.

But if you're so keen to see the thread go (let it never be said I'm not nice!), I'll meet you halfway.

Thread locked. Any further problems in any aspect of life whatsoever, feel free to pm myself or PHB.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement