Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

learning on an artificial slope

• 30-07-2008 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

might be going on a ski trip with 3 mates in January, none of them have ever skiied before.

anyone used/had lessons on the artificial slope in Kilternan?

as the trip is only scheduled to be 4-5 days they want to learn how the basics before they go.

it would be more fun for me as well rather than skiing by myself everyday.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It would certainly do no harm for them to do a few lessons on the dry slope before heading to the real snow. They may still be wanting to get some lessons out in resort though, but would be able to skip the total begginer level out there and get to more interesting places sooner. Also if they do a couple of lessons part of a day in resort that gives you the chance to head off to more difficult runs as well for some fun, then you meet up with them and take them down some other easier runs where you get to watch them fall over lots. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Everybody should learn off main trails. Damn snaking ski schools!! I know everybody has to learn somewhere but snakes of 10 people winding along is annoying.

Dry slope ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭mickc

their extremely confident plan is to get lessons in dublin and head straight onto the slopes. i dont knnow how many lessons they are planning on getting.

"if you can ski, i should be able to ski cos i'm fitter than you" i was told

should be an interesting trip,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well make sure you have a camera with you to catch them falling over on the blues then if they are that confident. ;)

A certain amount of fitness is handy for skiing, but I don't think it would be a reason for them picking it up that much quicker than anyone else. Not being afraid of falling over is probably a more useful skill to have, especially for begginer boarders.

I think you'll have a fun trip though watching them struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭mickc

it should be fun no doubt. plan is headin to Are in sweden.

this is actually our second attempted trip. first was about 5 years ago in austria. we apres skied too much and never made the slopes. :p

i've been skiing every year since though.

• Advertisement

From what I've heard of the alcohol prices in Scandinavia keeping the apres to a minimum there shouldn't be a problem. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Polarbear2020

mickc wrote: »
    this is actually our second attempted trip. first was about 5 years ago in austria. we apres skied too much and never made the slopes. :p

Blasphemy!!!!...how in the hell???

Regarding your question, I couldnt recommend your friends learning the basics in Kilternan anymore. Its the one piece of advice I would give to anyone going on first time ski holiday. I did it way back before my first time, and it means cutting out days worth side stepping up a crowded nursery slope waiting in your group of 10-12 to snowplow a few feet only to rejoin the queue and do it all again.
    It means they will have the ability to head straight up a blue at least and more than likely you can drag them up a red on day 2, and watch and laugh...see how fit your mate is then.
    Do advise they get at least one lesson though when they get over there just to get them aquainted with the snow, and give them a little confidence boost. However second piece of advice I would give them is...GO PRIVATE. Book a private lesson through the ski school as opposed to ski school itself. Price-wise, ok for the price of one hour private its normally the equivalant of the day in ski school but trust me in that one hour they will learn twice the amount than in a day of ski school(approx 2 1/2 hrs) with 10 others in the group.
    Also each extra person added to a private lesson is normaly only about an extra €7-10 on top of the base cost so if you lump your friends in together it will end up half the price!

Anyway enjoy your holiday...and for the love of god make sure your mates get out on the slopes this time!

P.s thats another good thing about going private, you can book your lesson for the evening so you can have a decent lie in after the night before!:)

Advertisement