Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winning lotto ticket

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,328 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Shelflife wrote: »
    Getting distracted here folks ! Not interested in what you’d do with the money , more what you’d do with the ticket worth €190m !

Personally I think I might go a little mad as I’d be thinking of every possible thing that could go wrong with where I’d put the ticket for safe keeping .

I’d be checking it more often than a first born just home from hospital!

The website says sign the ticket and keep it in a safe place. Anyone who can't do that should not be let anywhere near €190 million .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,577 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's implied by a lot of the answers that you'd keep your win quiet. Or do ye mean just in the initial phase?

When locals spot me heading over to Portumna on my 60ft yacht to buy the messages, they're gonna start asking questions. Ditto when I buy someone a drink in the local. I don't think it's possible to keep a big win quiet.

I rent and commute so there's no one around here that would know my business now, never mind if I just moved out one day.

Besides, let's be honest here... With that sort of money you're not going to be thinking about Joe and Mary in number 29. You will be mixing with an entirely different set where a few million isn't anything special. You won't be getting shopping yourself, you'll have it delivered or have an assistant.

Anyone who reckons that sort of cash wouldn't completely change everything about their lives is either dreaming or it would be wasted on them.. The whole point of that sort of money is it's a life changing event.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Thoie wrote: »
    Sign ticket. Put ticket into a ziploc bag. Seal bag. Stick bag in bra. Keep wearing that bra until I get to the lotto office.

Sure, I might smell, but the ticket will be safe.

First thing I need to do before this is buy a bra.

At least with winning the euromillions, i can afford a fancy one

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Besides, let's be honest here... With that sort of money you're not going to be thinking about Joe and Mary in number 29. You will be mixing with an entirely different set
    That's the saddest thing I've read today. (I mean sad-sad, not insulting you).

I love Joe and Mary. I'm not trying to act the Saint but I'd have no interest in winning the lotto if it changed any long-term relationships. With friends and relations - or even just an ability to talk shïte down the village without wondering if people are manipulating you.

I hadn't actually thought about this before. What if everything changed for the worse, and you ended up alone, or with fake mates, doing coke by yourself at 4am.on a Monday night and generally turning into a right cnut.

Fcuk it. I'm not doing the lotto. I won't risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Did the lotto in Offaly today, so yeah its in the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You'd be crazy to keep that kind of money in cash. I assume the Lotto advises people to buy into German Bunds, which although it has negative yield, offers stability that cash deposits cannot. Even with the DGS.

I hate credit cards, I refuse to own one. But if I won the lottery, I think I'd probably keep a relatively small amount of cash on deposit for emergencies, and just rely credit.

NZ bonds have a positive interest rate. only a little over 1% but better than nothing.

NZ bonds have a positive interest rate. only a little over 1% but better than nothing.

Would you trust them with 190-odd million though?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Certainly not all of it. they do have a AA rating though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭ Cara Hollow Verdict

German 10-year government bonds are now yielding minus 0.70 percent. Hardly an attractive alternative.

German 10-year government bonds are now yielding minus 0.70 percent. Hardly an attractive alternative.
    Clearly it is. A negative yield indicates that it's trading at a premium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Did the lotto in Offaly today, so yeah its in the bag.

If you win , you could probably go back and buy Offaly , might have some change left too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

What would happen if you did try to transfer the whole amount into Doneraile credit union? Would the building explode leaving a smouldering gap of rubble on the street and the millions forever lost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

have lots of beer and a party at the weekend, drive my car and abandon it outside lotto headquarters

get the money sorted with an advisor and off to the airport

oh before I go, head into work and take a big sh1te on my managers Laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭valoren

Cash Dividend paying companies.
    3.5% average return say.
    Go through your house and make a list of the products in it. Spend a day around town making note of companies. Invest in those.

You'd get 5.6 million after withholding tax on 190 million. Basically a lotto win every year for life.

Post offices? Government bonds? Credit unions? You'd be one of the richest people in the world. Shell companies ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

Certainly not all of it. they do have a AA rating though
    Lehmans was AAA until days before it collapsed. Was still A rated then iirc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

rgace wrote: »
    Probably drive to Dublin, I don't think you can collect the money until Thursday or something but get the paperwork done asap.

This bit is important. They have to collect the cash from the other countries as clearly there weren't 190m of sales here

Domestic lotto win and they have the money immediately. Euromillions win will take a few days.

Where I work is too small (well, the specific office I'm in) in too small an industry to get away with the quietly slipping away claiming another job somewhere else. Suspect it'd be damn easy to get signed off for stress - as you'd likely be a ball of stress anyway - and then claim you're going off to be a yak farmer near Kathmandu after a few months. Reappear from your few months in the Caribbean or wherever you *actually* went and say you've decided to leave the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sure you'd have to buy an island. Or property. Or gold to invest now.

Then again you could give a chunk to charity. Sorry scratch that, Brother Kevin or the Penny Dinners, anything that doesn't have a humungously paid CEO and massive admin costs. Think about who you would give to. I would go Cancer Research (for family reasons) There are lots of them around. I have a favourite and it is in Cork, even though I'm a Dub.

The homeless narrative is run by charlatans IMO. That is not to say it doesn't exist, but it is relentless, and no one is questioning the charitable status of the myriad of organisations espousing this claim. Great PR at a price I reckon.

Sorry for the rant. Choose those you would benefit carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Pick myself off the floor. :eek:

Video call my partner and tell him the news so he can fly over to join me ASAP.

Ring the bank manager and ask him the soonest possible time I can get it to a safe deposit. If I have to keep it overnight keep it in my own safe deposit box and sleep with one eye open with it in the bed beside me until the bank manager can open up the bank for me.

Sleep...probably not.

Train and taxi.

Over the weekend I'd get my house ready to be put up for sale, make a plan what to do with the money, narrow down where I want to buy another house with land and choose where else in the world I would like to see.

Tell no-one except my partner and two closest friends I know wouldn't breathe a word. Have no close family so only friends and fiancee will benefit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I play online when I do occasionally buy one to negate the chances of losing the ticket, never understood the extreme downer some people have about the whole thing, playing it now and again is just a bit of craic, they seem to think we're on our knees before the telly praying for the numbers or something when we barely think about it.

It's implied by a lot of the answers that you'd keep your win quiet. Or do ye mean just in the initial phase?

When locals spot me heading over to Portumna on my 60ft yacht to buy the messages, they're gonna start asking questions. Ditto when I buy someone a drink in the local. I don't think it's possible to keep a big win quiet.

Sure it is.

First thing I'd do is sell my house and move to another county. Have no family keeping me here so no-one would know me or anything about me in a new county. And I have no close family so a few cousins I'm not in contact with anyway wouldn't ever find out.

My new locals wouldn't suspect thing because neither myself nor the fiancee have any interest in outward signs of wealth like yachts, mansions or flash cars.

Like I said in my last post-only my fiancee (who has no connection to anyone in this country) and two closest friends I've known for decades who I trust completely would know about my win. I'd share the win with all three so they'd know that was conditional on not saying a word anyway.

That's how I'd keep it quiet.

Edit-and I'm self-employed so no work mates to suspect a thing. :)

• Advertisement

Greentopia wrote: »
    Sure it is.

First thing I'd do is sell my house and move to another county. Have no family keeping me here so no-one would know me or anything about me in a new county. And I have no close family so a few cousins I'm not in contact with anyway wouldn't ever find out.

My new locals wouldn't suspect thing because neither myself nor the fiancee have any interest in outward signs of wealth like yachts, mansions or flash cars.

Like I said in my last post-only my fiancee (who has no connection to anyone in this country) and two closest friends I've known for decades who I trust completely would know about my win. I'd share the win with all three so they'd know that was conditional on not saying a word anyway.

That's how I'd keep it quiet.

See, that's great, but here's why a lotto win might turn into a nightmare for some.

Some will have vital, familial connections relating to a specific place. I'm from a small lakeside hamlet in North Tipp which, as far as I care, is the centre of the world.

Can anyone easily walk away from a connection to a place, and therefore a sense of belonging, which they've had since birth? What's the point of all that money if you lose everything you treasure?

Of course, if this isn't an issue in the first place, then happy days. That's probably exactly the kind of person whom. I hope wins the lottery tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I hadn't actually thought about this before. What if everything changed for the worse, and you ended up alone, or with fake mates, doing coke by yourself at 4am.on a Monday night and generally turning into a right cnut.

A fella up North won £8 or 9m a good few years back. Driving around in a Ferrari, flaunting it like mad. Allegedly flew hookers in from England etc. Which led to his missus walking away with half of the money. He spiralled downwards, drugs and hoores etc and is now on the dole and back living in his ma's house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Wheety wrote: »
    We spoke about this in the last thread. If 10 people sign it they're all entitled to 10%.

It may be a nice idea but what happens when your niece realises that the €100k is nice and all but what about €19m? Nothing like money to break up a family.

There was a case of someone letting her son-in-law sign a ticket like this to save some tax and then he brought her to court claiming he was part of a syndicate with her.

Just let them pay the tax, they're still getting free money.

Can you not just buy these relatives everything? A house, a car etc.

Set up a very hefty DD every week for them?

You will be mixing with an entirely different set where a few million isn't anything special.

So leave the people I know and trust all my life behind to get a new set of rich superficial assholes who I can't trust because they might be only interested in you because I have money now like them? no thanks.
    They're the last people I'd want near me.

My friends are there for me no matter what. People who are loaded would drop you like a stone if you suddenly found yourself poor again.
    Anyone who reckons that sort of cash wouldn't completely change everything about their lives is either dreaming or it would be wasted on them.. The whole point of that sort of money is it's a life changing event.

It would of course change my circumstances in where I live, but not really how I live. The only changes would be in where I live in the country, that I could travel more, having land and a bigger garden with a house with one more bedroom, and having my fiancee join me here sooner than we planned.
    Oh and I'd probably buy a used car for him and one for me, for transport.
    That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I won €3 last night.. Just carried on as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Give half the ticket to a lady I like as a tip, thank **** I don't have a Spanish girlfriend otherwise this would be a bad Nic Cage film paradox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I won €3 last night.. Just carried on as usual

Did you take it in installments or go for the full whack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ Brendan Lemon Vacancy

Rufeo wrote: »
    Wouldn't tell anyone.

Not even closest family.

I'd collect the money, quit my job and go abroad straight away (I literally could too).

You could literally go to the moon with that money

See, that's great, but here's why a lotto win might turn into a nightmare for some.

Some will have vital, familial connections relating to a specific place. I'm from a small lakeside hamlet in North Tipp which, as far as I care, is the centre of the world.

Can anyone easily walk away from a connection to a place, and therefore a sense of belonging, which they've had since birth? What's the point of all that money if you lose everything you treasure?

Of course, if this isn't an issue in the first place, then happy days. That's probably exactly the kind of person whom. I hope wins the lottery tomorrow.

Yeah I can totally appreciate that and tbh I think that love and pride of place and deep connection with your community is worth more than any money and I envy you for it. I would love if I had that, and wish my parents were still alive so I could buy them a house and pamper them, but they're not and i have no siblings or kids so that's that.

I do like where I live now but I broke that connection by spending most of my life in other places and people move on when you're away for so long.

That means my friends have become like a surrogate family for me and they're as dear to me as my family were. I'd probably move closer to them actually if I won the lotto. That would be the best I could do.

Definitely buying a ticket tomorrow now after this thread. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,346 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I could help a lot of deserving people with that kinda money.

Advertisement