Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pope John Paul II assasination attempt. Full story here

I can't believe, I forgot this (John Paul's assassination photo reminded me of it, so thanks:)).
    The following photo in a Philippine newspaper about an appartment fire in no way shook our world, but if the fire never started our world could most definitely have been shaken.

440_josefa_apartments_2050081722-14557.jpg
    The Bojinka plot ...was a planned large-scale terrorist attack by Ramzi Yousef and Khalid Shaikh Mohammed to blow up twelve airliners and ... 4,000 passengers....including a plot to assassinate Pope John Paul II and crash a plane into the CIA headquarters in Fairfax County, Virginia....the Bojinka plot was disrupted after a chemical fire drew Filipino police attention on January 6 and January 7, 1995. One person was killed in the course of the plot...
    Sometimes, the butterfly effect can be a good thing.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭jaykay74

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

Long-time listener, first time caller...

Undoubtedly the best thread I have ever read, not just on boards but anywhere on the web. Thanks to all who have contributed. I have spent in the region of 12 hours over the last few days looking at pictures and then looking at the links and learning from them. It has been educational, funny, harrowing, scary, sad, but above all, very very interesting.

I'd just like to make a couple recommendations, if you don't mind..

In the later pages, there has been quite a bit of repetition. Yes, it's a long thread, but it does deserve to be viewed in it's entireity before anyone adds a new picture/post. Just saying "I'm not sure if this has been posted before.." is just laziness and it threatens to spoil a fantastic thread. Yes, I do realise there has been lots of photos and it's difficult to remember them all.

Secondly, what I really appreciated about this thread is the stories and explanations that go along with the photos. If possible, could posters add a link or explanation with their photos.

Finally, to keep the thread going, here's my offering (jaysus, I'll be scarlah if it's already been posted :) )

cr16pg07.jpg

Pope John Paul II assasination attempt. Full story here

Is that real? Reminds me of the hand with the knife in The Last Supper.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Is that real? Reminds me of the hand with the knife in The Last Supper.

Yep, it's real.
    The pope attributed his survival to Our Lady of Fatima's maternal hand that guided the bullet.
    Wiki wrote:
    The Pope, who lost nearly three-quarters of his blood and thus suffered shock from near-exsanguination, underwent five hours of emergency intestinal surgery — which required transfusions and a temporary colostomy
    She obviously disliked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Malty_T wrote: »
    Yep, it's real.
    The pope attributed his survival to Our Lady of Fatima's maternal hand that guided the bullet.

She obviously disliked him.

Very good! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Fair play though for forgiving the guy and getting him a pardon.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

This thread is now on page 1 of google if you search for "photos that shook the world."
    And it's absolutely an incredible contribution from everyone involved.
    Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

This thread is now on page 1 of google if you search for "photos that shook the world."

Only on google.ie though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Jeege wrote: »
    HurricaneinFrances.jpg

Hurricane Frances - Coast Of Florida 2004

wilma.jpg

Dont forget about Hurricane Wilma :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NS_Southsider

Roy Keane leaving Saipan to return back to Manchester and not play any part in the WC in Japan/Korea:(

0000199c10d.jpg

Dublin Riots

Dublin_Riots_25-02-06.jpg

Indians claim Alcatraz Island

November 9, 1969
    roakes-s.jpg On this day, Indian people once again came to Alcatraz Island when Richard Oakes, a Mohawk Indian, and a group of Indian supporters set out in a chartered boat, the Monte Cristo, to symbolically claim the island for the Indian people. On November 20, 1969, this symbolic occupation turned into a full scale occupation which lasted until June 1

alcatraz.jpg1, 1971.

Lockerbie Plane crash (bomb)

1988: Jumbo jet crashes onto Lockerbie
    A Pan Am jumbo jet with 258 passengers on board has crashed on to the town of Lockerbie near the Scottish borders.

Initial reports indicate it crashed into a petrol station in the centre of the town, between Carlisle and Dumfries, and burst into a 300-foot fireball.
    Hundreds are feared dead as airline officials said flight 103 was about two-thirds full with 255 adults and three children on board. Rescue teams have confirmed there are many casualties at the scene including townspeople who were on the ground.

article-1050469-0037f08300000258-1000_468x310_popup.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NS_Southsider

As said before, fantastic thread and a bloody good History Lesson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Dublin Riots

Dublin_Riots_25-02-06.jpg

Jesus getting a taxi on O' Connell Street is madness these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

This event drew my attention when seeing it on reeling in the years. A mass suicide of hundreds of men women and children in Guyana under the orders of cult leader Jim Jones. A shocking example of the power a single person can have over a group of people.

jonestown-massacre.jpg

jonestown.jpg

jonestown_06.jpg

There is an audio of the final speech of Jones encouraging people to drink from the poison. Warning, its not for the faint hearted. Screams of children in particular are audible and quite disturbing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJFaqrU3HfQ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Amazing thread, one of the best to come out of here in quite a while. On a side note can people please stop quoting the pictures. Quote the post, but delete the picture link. It'll make reading this a lot easier!

anyway, my 2 cents:

3276505.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=2C48553CC6AAB74CDEC7F69A37FB8AA1

Boy was he wrong, unless his mission was to get a lot of young American killed....
    g-pol-080501-bush-mission-hmed-4a.hmedium.jpg

Senna
    senna-crash-400.jpg

X_Files_1008791_display.jpg

Can't find the famous one of him and mick on the "car park" in Saipan but this will have to do article-1214376-0050DA2C00000258-863_468x369.jpg

0000199c10d.jpg

0.jpg

We all hate this one...
    bsod.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Crow71

^^That last ones a stinker alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Romanian_Revolution_1989_Demonstrators.jpg

Bucharest 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jeege

sri-lanka-wave-724975-202x300.jpg

Tsunami (Sri Lanka Wave)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jeege

Visit this site to see the real victims of war.
    http://mindprod.com/politics/iraqwarpix.html

Warning: Images are very graphic, not for the faint hearted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭StraddleFor6

332mli9.png

156f8f1f5f.jpg

29gett_CA0.650.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

James Dean crash, 1955:

Dean_crash.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

geuu_01_img0141.jpg

Linda Blair 1973

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

Don't thin this has been posted, the Challenger Space Shuttle explosion.

3056019054_a70339100c.jpg

Don't thin this has been posted, the Challenger Space Shuttle explosion.

3056019054_a70339100c.jpg

I seen it in there..........somewhere, sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,276 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

hindenburg.gif
    The Hindenburg Disaster

HMS_Dreadnought_(1906).jpg
    HMS Dreadnought, sparked an arms race.

FWWarchdukeMe.jpg
    Archduke Franz Ferdinand on the day he was shot.

christmas-truce-2.jpg
    A picture from the Christmas Truce of 1914.

1916_oconnell_bridge.jpg
    After bombardment during the rising.

1923-Children-playing-with-currency.jpg
    Collapse of German mark in June 1923

_45706214_titanic_getty_466250.jpg
    Titanic, April 1912

signing-the-anglo-irish-treaty-1922.jpg
    Anglo Irish treaty signed, 1921.

collinsbandon.jpg
    Last photo of Michael Collins alive, August 1922, he is seated on the rear left of the vehicle.

Lying_in_State.jpg
    Collins lying in state, City Hall, Dublin.

^^^^

Could have sworn I posted some of these already but ah well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Sleepeee

CCCP^ wrote: »

bulger-cctv.jpg
    Jamie Bulger being lead to his death.

^^ This picture breaks my heart. Pure innocence in the hands of evil. Probably thinking these boys are leading him back to his mother. Not knowing the most disgusting death lies ahead. Heartbreaking.

Do you remember this wee boy? One of the most high profile child kidnappings Ireland (well in my lifetime anyway). Never found. Some suggest his kidnapping was part of a paedophile ring involving members of the church and those in authority. We may never know the truth.

229779_1.jpg?ts=1260564874The photo of Philip Cairns that appeared on missing persons posters after his disappearance in 1986.

<H2>

</H2>

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

Heres one of Nelson after he was blown up....70.jpg
    Terrible act of vandalism.A shame and a great historical loss to Ireland.

todolist wrote: »
    Terrible act of vandalism.A shame and a great historical loss to Ireland.
    Personally I think it was a victimless act and a perfect way to celebrate the 50 year anniversary of the rising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Might not have shook the world exactly, but it was certainly interesting when an untouched tribe was found in the Amazon in 2008

15004732.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7426794.stm

Advertisement