Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Resident Evil Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,619 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I finished playing Resident Evil 7 a short while ago and I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Riddle101

A bit excessive maybe but I've played Resident Evil 3 remake 4 times now this week and am planning on doing a final play through. I've enjoyed the game for the most part but I feel it could have been longer. I would rather have the option of playing two different playthroughs, one for Jill and one for Carlos. I think Carlos needed his own playthrough as he was a very likable character who didn't get enough playtime.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I think Carlos needed his own playthrough as he was a very likable character who didn't get enough playtime.

But it's meant to be Jill's game. They expanded his role too much if you ask me. They should just give him his own Revelations or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

It would be nice if they would use the remakes to bring back one or two of the minor or supporting characters from the RE back catalogue. There were a couple of interesting ones that we never saw again. Ark Thompson, Fong Ling, Billy Coen etc.

Rob2D wrote: »
    But it's meant to be Jill's game. They expanded his role too much if you ask me. They should just give him his own Revelations or something.

Fair enough, but I still think it could have been longer. Res 2 was fine for me because you could get about 4 playthroughs out of it as Leon and Claire. With only Jill it means they are only building to one specific playthrough which can be repetitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Fair enough, but I still think it could have been longer. Res 2 was fine for me because you could get about 4 playthroughs out of it as Leon and Claire. With only Jill it means they are only building to one specific playthrough which can be repetitive.

I think they tried compensate for that with the nightmare and inferno difficulties, but it's not the same. Even though the differences between Leon and Claire were fairly minor, at least the different weapons helped made it feel somewhat different.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Penn wrote: »
    Even though the differences between Leon and Claire were fairly minor

Those awful B scenarios still annoy me SO MUCH. They did so much right only to fall at the last hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭T. Hanks

I'm playing on hardcore with no perks or anything. Just from scratch basically.

I can't beat phase 2 nemesis as I keep running out of ammo.

Am I goosed?

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

T. Hanks^ wrote: »

Am I goosed?

That's defeatist talk!, you beat corona virus Tom, you can beat Nemesis stage 2!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

T. Hanks^ wrote: »

Am I goosed?

Which one is phase 2?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭T. Hanks

Which one is phase 2?

I think it's the one at the water fountain
    Maybe I'm wrong

Anyway I got past it in the end as I said **** it and purchased the attack and defence coins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It’s fair to criticise RE3 remake for been too short but other then its length it’s a superb game, a solid 9/10 for me. Its probably because its so good that its length is easy to get annoyed about. I very rarely play a game more than once but I’m now enjoying my 3rd playthrough, the combat really is that satisfying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Greyfox wrote: »
    It’s fair to criticise RE3 remake for been too short but other then its length it’s a superb game, a solid 9/10 for me. Its probably because its so good that its length is easy to get annoyed about. I very rarely play a game more than once but I’m now enjoying my 3rd playthrough, the combat really is that satisfying.

I honestly can't fathom how you feel that this is a 9/10 game.

Initially I was irked with the length. The shop adds some replayability, sure but you then realise that this game has been stripped of everything that makes Resident Evil enjoyable. There is no exploration, no puzzles and no atmosphere.

The game is so linear and austere that you simply go through the same set pieces each time you pick it up. The player has no freedom to react to the situation. The RE2 remake had limited amounts where you could figure out ways to avoid Mr. X but Nemesis appears in such specific scenarios that you just run the way the developers want you to and it's going to be identical each time you play the game.

It has a few decent bits. I'd concur with Angry Joe's 6/10. I actually got a lot more value out of RE6 to be honest. That at least had a few decent bosses and an excellent Mercenaries mode.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Saw there a while back that they making Jill's classic costume available to purchase for $3 or something. Even for $3 it's not worth paying for the costume. Unless they added more costumes or something then it's a bit of a waste. At least in Resident Evil 2 you could unlock a variety of costumes but in Res 3 you can only really get 2.

this game has been stripped of everything that makes Resident Evil enjoyable. There is no exploration, no puzzles and no atmosphere.

The game is so linear and austere that you simply go through the same set pieces each time you pick it up. The player has no freedom to react to the situation. The RE2 remake had limited amounts where you could figure out ways to avoid Mr. X but Nemesis appears in such specific scenarios that you just run the way the developers want you to and it's going to be identical each time you play the game.

It has a few decent bits. I'd concur with Angry Joe's 6/10. I actually got a lot more value out of RE6 to be honest. That at least had a few decent bosses and an excellent Mercenaries mode.

It's still got the superb combat and the enjoyable item management of RE2 remake and Raccoon City looks fabulous. Playing on hardcore mode on your first run provides an excellent challenge for as long as it lasts. RE 1,2 and 4 are a good bit better than it but RE6 on the other hand is unplayable garbage.

It's still got the superb combat and the enjoyable item management of RE2 remake and Raccoon City looks fabulous. Playing on hardcore mode on your first run provides an excellent challenge for as long as it lasts. RE 1,2 and 4 are a good bit better than it but RE6 on the other hand is unplayable garbage.

Superb combat? Eh? It's exactly the same as RE2. They didn't change that at all except for adding the dodge mechanic which, while nice doesn't add a great deal to it. It was fine for RE2 because the game's environment was so well crafted but it fails here because at best, you get a series of corridors with spammed and asset reused zombies.

The boss fights are the worst in the series and that's saying something. You play keep away with Nemesis with a stack of pallets or a fountain in between you and him while unloading.

Raccoon city does not look fabulous IMO. It's a paucity of a representation consisting of a few rooms and corridors. You could say the same about the original but the original's Raccoon city was several times the size. There was a serious chance to improve here. Instead they provided the bare minimum.

While I get why people hate on RE6 completely, it had four campaigns, each one longer and more interactive than this steaming turd here and a mercenaries mode. If you dislike the game, fair enough but you got a ton for your money. Why Capcom decided to take it's worst parts and but them in a four-hour game so they could discard the goodwill they'd earned with RE2 and DMC5 is beyond me.

H. H. Asquith

Superb combat? Eh? It's exactly the same as RE2. They didn't change that at all except for adding the dodge mechanic which, while nice doesn't add a great deal to it...

While I get why people hate on RE6 completely, it had four campaigns, each one longer and more interactive than this steaming turd here and a mercenaries mode. If you dislike the game, fair enough but you got a ton for your money. Why Capcom decided to take it's worst parts and but them in a four-hour game so they could discard the goodwill they'd earned with RE2 and DMC5 is beyond me.

Yes both the RE2 and RE3 remakes have superb combat, the weapons have a proper kick and are fun to use, lining up headshots is fun. The pre-rendered backdrops that RE is famous for make RE3 remake look very pretty with excellent attention to detail, its just a shame the game it not longer.

Lets get real here, the combat in RE6 was very bad, It's all boring firing at bullet sponges and riddiculous QTE's. Most RE fans werent able to play through Chris's terrible campaign. Yes the Merceneries section is brilliant but RE6 is still the weakest game in the main RE series

Yes both the RE2 and RE3 remakes have superb combat, the weapons have a proper kick and are fun to use, lining up headshots is fun. The pre-rendered backdrops that RE is famous for make RE3 remake look very pretty with excellent attention to detail, its just a shame the game it not longer.

Lets get real here, the combat in RE6 was very bad, It's all boring firing at bullet sponges and riddiculous QTE's. Most RE fans werent able to play through Chris's terrible campaign. Yes the Merceneries section is brilliant but RE6 is still the weakest game in the main RE series

I don't think you saw my argument about RE3's combat. It excels in a horror atmosphere where you are trying to line up headshots while a zombie approaches. It does not excel in active combat scenarios. That's my point.

RE6 has content. RE3 has less than half the content than the original game which is a disgrace. It takes what RE2 did, does it worse and imports some extra QTE's from Resi 6. I don't see where the ingredients for a 9/10 game are here.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Unsubstantiated Rumour Alert on WCCFTech;
    Resident Evil 8 Reportedly the Darkest, Most Gruesome Entry Yet, Fans May be Shocked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Unsubstantiated Rumour Alert on WCCFTech;

Eeech. As it is, I found RE7 to be scary to the point I just didn't want to play it.
    Used to be the same with Silent Hill :D

No way am I playing that on my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Eeech. As it is, I found RE7 to be scary to the point I just didn't want to play it.
    Used to be the same with Silent Hill :D

No way am I playing that on my own.

Dark room and a good pair of headphones, you'll be grand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Dark room and a good pair of headphones, you'll be grand!!

And a new set of pants nearby :D

Will Resident Evil 8 be like Res 7 or will it be more like the remakes in terms of gameplay?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,619 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Resident Evil 7 is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Apparently resi 8 will be first person again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Will Resident Evil 8 be like Res 7 or will it be more like the remakes in terms of gameplay?

A pretty solid leak says it will be first person, have VR support and will feature Ethan and Chris in some capacity. Apparently it will also have a gothic/occult setting and feature witches and werewolves and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

Markitron wrote: »
    ... feature witches and werewolves and the like.

Hmm, with those kinds of enemies, I can only hope for a trick or treat minigame.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

bugs wrote: »
    Hmm, with those kinds of enemies, I can only hope for a trick or treat minigame.....

It will likely be some kind of virus-induced imagery, kinda like the hook-handed guy from the early version of RE4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Resi 8 looks so ****ing cool!

Advertisement