Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Absolutely
    Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Absolutely
    Currently playing through all the Half Life games before I get stuck into Alyx.

Just finished Black Mesa (very good but Xen is buggy as hell for me) and Opposing Force (decent but hard as nails even on "easy"). Next is Blue Shift before I start Half Life 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

**** jeff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Dulce Clean Fishing

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    **** jeff

Finished it yesterday....ending was very good and open things up a lot. The level "Jeff" was one of the greatest computer game levels of all time. I am going to play through again and upgrade differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Looks like mods are already coming out...

• Advertisement

Half Life Alyx already ranks among the top 10 best rated games on Steam

https://www.roadtovr.com/half-life-alyx-steam-best-rated-games-ever/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

The only thing about this game that has annoyed me so far is the puzzles you need to do to open the weapon upgrade tool. Its probably my own fault, but I find some of them are so hard, and I don't see why they are even included. Why should weapon upgrades be locked behind a weird puzzle when you already have to search for resin in the world anyway? The resin search is so much fun as it encourages you to interact with everything which is incredibly satisfying.

But aside from that, this is an amazing game! I'm on the Jeff level now, had to take a break as its so tense!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

pasta-solo wrote: »
    The only thing about this game that has annoyed me so far is the puzzles you need to do to open the weapon upgrade tool. Its probably my own fault, but I find some of them are so hard, and I don't see why they are even included.

I'm sorry :( I really enjoyed them, the in world logic was that alyx was hacking into these machines so it was a way of getting around security.

Game wise its because little puzzles like those that rely on both tactile precision and spatial awareness (especially the upgrade one where most times you need to step back a bit to see how to solve them) and those elements are the bread and butter of VR games.

So yeah I can get why it might feel like a bit of a time sink, but I enjoyed them, well most of them. Wasnt a fan of the match colours one and I feel like the disarm tripwires one should have rewarded players more as 9/10 it was easier to just let them blow. I might have liked if each tripwire contained a piece of resin in it that you could only get by disarming, might have been a nice reward to disarm and also stop others from setting them off.

Though I did think the puzzles at the comm stations were much more satisfying, pulling levers and rolling brains etc, I wish the game had more of them. and spoiler for something right near the end of the game
    the unsolvable puzzle just before the vault is unfair :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

mrcheez wrote: »
    Half Life Alyx already ranks among the top 10 best rated games on Steam

https://www.roadtovr.com/half-life-alyx-steam-best-rated-games-ever/

Valve as a dev company take that very seriously so again this is great news

pasta-solo wrote: »
    The only thing about this game that has annoyed me so far is the puzzles you need to do to open the weapon upgrade tool. Its probably my own fault, but I find some of them are so hard, and I don't see why they are even included. Why should weapon upgrades be locked behind a weird puzzle when you already have to search for resin in the world anyway? The resin search is so much fun as it encourages you to interact with everything which is incredibly satisfying.
    But aside from that, this is an amazing game! I'm on the Jeff level now, had to take a break as its so tense!

i'm just about to start that section. Sounds like I will freak out so :o:eek:

• Advertisement

Lads ease up on the spoilers ... I'm not getting enough time to play at the mo :D

Also in other news I'm seeing a Rift S for sale on the official site: https://www.oculus.com/rift-s/

No April fooling.. go now!

Lads ease up on the spoilers ... I'm not getting enough time to play at the mo :D

Also in other news I'm seeing a Rift S for sale on the official site: https://www.oculus.com/rift-s/

Sorry my bad, just edited my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,630 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ssssh don't be tempting me during a lockdown. If the boss finds out I buy more PC gear I might not survive :pac:

Edit: what sort of FPS could I expect from an RTX2060 and a R7 1700?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Ssssh don't be tempting me during a lockdown. If the boss finds out I buy more PC gear I might not survive :pac:

Edit: what sort of FPS could I expect from an RTX2060 and a R7 1700?

What headset do you have

for example if you have a Rift S that's 80hz so your spec would lock to 80fps easily at medium settings

T. Hanks^ wrote: »
    What headset do you have

for example if you have a Rift S that's 80hz so your spec would lock to 80fps easily at medium settings

I don't have one but I'm tempted to get the Rift S on Friday when I get paid.

Then that's your answer. Rift S support will be fine.

You wont have the spec to get the best out of a more expensive headset like the index as this is 144hz which you wont reach the fps mark on

T. Hanks^ wrote: »
    Then that's your answer. Rift S support will be fine.

You wont have the spec to get the best out of a more expensive headset like the index as this is 144hz which you wont reach the fps mark on

I'm not going to spend index money on a headset anyway so the Rift seemed best option after that.

I'm upgrading the PC next year and will be at a minimum going R5 3600 and 2070 Super or the newer models of those components.

buy it on credit card now and pay off later when you have cash? :)

buy it on credit card now and pay off later when you have cash? :)

I've never had a credit card and only have a small overdraft. That way I only spend what I have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have a credit card, but I have the discipline and means to pay off the monthly balance before paying interest. I use it like a debit card. Too useful and flexible not to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Pretty sure the rift S is out of stock. Pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Burgo wrote: »

It didn't last long in stock. I was tempted to pull the trigger myself but missed the boat for now anyway.

Burgo wrote: »

yep must have just gone out of stock as it's still showing "Available"

I'm sure more will come in during the week, but you gotta be quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Just finished this. I'll spoiler tag everything except this - wow, that was absolutely incredible!
    Okay, that ending! I assume that means we'll be getting an Episode 3, or even Half Life 3 at some point in the (distant) future. I'm also guessing it will be VR, which I'm fine with after Alyx.

Some stand outs - the Jeff level was very well done, and very creepy. I had to take a break midway through, too tense! The variety between levels felt great, from action to puzzles to exploration, none of which ever got boring. The last level was amazing - it kind of reminded me of the fading dream sequences of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The world itself was so well realised, and so much fun to explore and interact with. There were times where I thought this might work with a regular mouse & keyboard setup, but it wouldn't have felt quite as special. Oh, and it recreated the same feeling of getting the overpowered gravity gun right at the end again!

Anyway, I'm kind of rambling now, so I'll take some time to think about the game and come back in a few days. 5/5 from me, well worth the wait. Unfortunately, the wait begin again now, but hopefully it won't be so long this time!

Finally past chapter 7

I need a break...phew

What a game
    What an ending
    I ****ing love Valve again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Booted this up again for the first time in a week or so (boooo working from home) but here's one of the nicest things I can say about it: every play session still has that 'holy ****' feeling. Even just the game loading and I'm standing in a fairly non-descript corridor... it's still awe-inducing!

Anyway, through to chapter six now - five was pure Half-Life level design. Those
    electric dogs
    are some of the most deadly and frightening enemies I've encountered in any game - such unassuming little chaps when you first encounter them :(

Haha you haven't seen nothing yet
    Best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Absolutely
    Cannot wait to play this. Currently playing through all the games. Did Black Mesa, Blue Shift, Opposing Force.

Now playing HL2 - man, that game has aged spectacularly well. Really brings me back to how ground-breaking it was in 2004.

• Advertisement

Advertisement