Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is the windmill house, the mulled wine tent, gone?
    Used love that place!

Not gone.

Just located down at Spanish Arch this year, and with a bigger bar that also served faux craft beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

Anyone know if the Park n Ride be running again this year? I can only see last years info online

http://www.galwaycity.ie/park-and-ride-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Anyone try that Wood Oven Bread stall? They're doing some sort of a cross between a panini and a pizza. They look ok but I didn't want to stump up €7 to eat standing in the rain just yet.
    Didn't get to the Sparch yet. What beers are they doing there? Anything unusual?

got one of them Saturday in the Spanish Arch one, it looks the same thing. absolute muck, i had one bite before passing along, two friends agreed crap as well. hot dogs were crap as well.

the pork bap in Eyre Square was nice though. and the beer tent in Spanish Arch was great I thought, nicely decked out and good beer. great buzz around the town all weekend, the normal market near the Protestant church was packed as well. few quiet pints Friday night turned into 3 day bender. pity hotel prices are shocking high though, but I suppose that's supply and demand.

Anyone know if the Park n Ride be running again this year? I can only see last years info online

http://www.galwaycity.ie/park-and-ride-2/

I haven't seen any announcements yet, am watching for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

got one of them Saturday in the Spanish Arch one, it looks the same thing. absolute muck, i had one bite before passing along, two friends agreed crap as well. hot dogs were crap as well.

the pork bap in Eyre Square was nice though. and the beer tent in Spanish Arch was great I thought, nicely decked out and good beer. great buzz around the town all weekend, the normal market near the Protestant church was packed as well. few quiet pints Friday night turned into 3 day bender. pity hotel prices are shocking high though, but I suppose that's supply and demand.

How much was the hotel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

bigpink wrote: »
    How much was the hotel?

$1,000,000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

bigpink wrote: »
    How much was the hotel?

€100 the Friday which was grand but only 5 free hotels on hotels.com the Saturday, one of them being Oranmore Lodge! One Cross street hotel was asking for €350.

Eventually I got the Victoria for €159 which was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This all sounds great.

Myself and my sister are going from Dublin on Tuesday to Friday next week, I love Galway. Anyway, didn't know about the Christmas market so that's a big bonus!

We got a bargain in Jurys with Super Valu points, unbelievable, so more money to spread around the rest of the economy in Galway!.

Can someone tell me if there is any street market on during the week, or is it only weekends?

Going out to Connemara too one of the days.

Looking forward to it. Ye lucky things living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

This all sounds great.

Myself and my sister are going from Dublin on Tuesday to Friday next week, I love Galway. Anyway, didn't know about the Christmas market so that's a big bonus!

We got a bargain in Jurys with Super Valu points, unbelievable, so more money to spread around the rest of the economy in Galway!.

Can someone tell me if there is any street market on during the week, or is it only weekends?

Going out to Connemara too one of the days.

Looking forward to it. Ye lucky things living there.
    No midweek market, just the Xmas Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Is there a week day that is best/worst to visit the market? Was thinking of heading there next Monday or Wednesday, but don't want to get there & find it's the one day a week, that the traders take a half day off or something.

Would prefer to get the Expressway bus there, but don't want to sit in city traffic for ages, both going & coming. Any thoughts on getting the bus versus the train?

Ta.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Is there a week day that is best/worst to visit the market? Was thinking of heading there next Monday or Wednesday, but don't want to get there & find it's the one day a week, that the traders take a half day off or something.

Would prefer to get the Expressway bus there, but don't want to sit in city traffic for ages, both going & coming. Any thoughts on getting the bus versus the train?

Ta.

If youre arriving around lunchtime or a little earlier then there wont be any issue with traffic.

Bus is pretty much always cheaper and faster than the train.

Bus Éireann stop at the same place as the train (2 mins walk from the market). Other companies stop 2 minutes walk up the road.

Worst market ever.

Corndog dude wasn't there when I popped in. So disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The train will take you into city centre, 2 mins walk from market.
    If you have the dosh, take the train.

Worst market ever.

Corndog dude wasn't there when I popped in. So disappointed.

Was mentioned here a few pages back that he isnt doing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Apparently one corndog a market does make :)

Wonder why he didnt do it.always saw it mentioned here as a popular stall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Price for a pitch is insane.

How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Can be up to 10 grand,
    Thats without VAT and electricity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Something like 15k for the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Can be up to 10 grand,
    Thats without VAT and electricity
    Something like 15k for the month.

Let's say 12500 to save an argument

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Damn..was looking forward to an argument :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

The original market was run by Market place Europe who run markets all over the UK and Northern Ireland.They ran into alot of problems with the city council trying to rip them off and the Galway city business association.They said they would never do business in the Republic again after the crap.Overpriced that went on in Galway.Alot of dodgy goings on.

The original market was run by Market place Europe who run markets all over the UK and Northern Ireland.They ran into alot of problems with the city council trying to rip them off and the Galway city business association.They said they would never do business in the Republic again after the crap.Overpriced that went on in Galway.Alot of dodgy goings on.

Any links for that or is it just hearsay stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

I worked for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

If it's ~12,500 just for the stall that means you need to make €450 profit a day just to cover the cost of the stall. I assume the price isn't that high for the smaller stalls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I did a run for some macaroons, because whatever you say about the market, that French bakery crowd is gold. I also got a little Christmas jumper for the dog, but other than that, not feeling the market this year.

I miss Lidl's stalls from last year, they were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭expatinator

Fancy meeting you here Links :)

What's the prices like in the market?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Zzippy wrote: »
    Probably too late for you, but the train station car park behind the Meyrick hotel is €6 for 24 hours and is the closest to the market in Eyre Square. Can be hard to find a space, but you also have a good chance of meeting someone leaving who might hand you their ticket...

Thanks for the post, I missed it in all the replies :(, I ended up paying €8 for the Q-Park. Handy informtaion for when/if we go to Galway again!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement