Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Salthill dive tower facelift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

As it says in the report it doesnt just need a lick of paint.Like others have said though i hope it doesnt get totally changed either.It does need some more paving with some undulations in it for better grip in parts though near the diving boards and steps down to the water which are very slippery.Interesting to see what they do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If it is structurally unsound, are'nt the council negligent in leaving it open?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I hope it never changes.... aah the memories

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    If it is structurally unsound, are'nt the council negligent in leaving it open?
    Only if something were to happen that was a reasonably foreseeable consequence of a negligent action, subject to the usual defences against negligence (voluntary assumption of risk, contributory negligence etc). The law generally tends to deal with things that actually happen, despite the whole area of Occupiers Liability being coloured by the imagination of the farming lobby.

Edit: I've just realised that this is uneasily close to the April Fool one of the local papers had about the tower leaning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They'd also need to install a lift at the diving boards to faciltate wheelchair users, in fact the whole structure is unfriendly to those less able.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

It doesn't say anywhere in that report that it's "structurally unsound." It needs a bit of a job done on it like the changing rooms got in January and then a cleaning and lick of paint.

But please...a lift at the diving board for wheelchair users??...
    Now we really are heading back to a Leaning Tower of Blackrock story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

if its structurally sound i think it should stay the same, its not broken so dont fix it.

I had to laugh the other day passing salthill by the tower. All the garda bollards for no parking. There was about 6 cars parked in between them.

Only in Ireland!!!:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

What does it say about some locals when it took footage from a BBC programme with Terry Wogan for them to be "appalled" and show them that the diving board in their neighbourhood was "in dire need of a revamp" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Is the photo on the article a recent one?

blackrock_tower_yuk_2.jpg

It looks awful! Was out at the diving boards about 2 months ago and they were looking well... surprised if they've gotten this bad so quick.

In recent years the steps and surface have been powerwashed when they get grimy and slippy. I'll be out that way later this evening and will have a look.

The structure seems fine to me... all it needs is to be powerwashed every so often and an annual coat of paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

McTigs wrote: »
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/19204-%E2%80%98eyesore%E2%80%99-diving-tower-set-get-major-facelift

How do people feel about this?

On one hand, if it's structurally unsound then obviously it must be repaired but i wouldn't want it changed. Will the Health & Safety brigade see that it's rebuilt smaller? Will they do an eyre square on it and close it off for three years to do sfa?

if it aint broke dont fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Fuinseog wrote: »
    if it aint broke dont fix it.
    And if it's broke, don't fix it either.

City Council motto.

True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

One of these days, they're going to have to fence off the entire length of both sides of the Corrib. Then they'll have to put barriers on all of the beaches. And maybe six-foot high fences around all of the rocks in Salthill. Or maybe have people sign waivers when they approach the coast. Just in case anyone goes into the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

And if it's broke, don't fix it either.

City Council motto.

True story.

a lick o paint and a bit of powerhosing is all it needs. it doesnt need modernising.

foto joe wrote: »
    Is the photo on the article a recent one?

blackrock_tower_yuk_2.jpg

It looks awful! Was out at the diving boards about 2 months ago and they were looking well... surprised if they've gotten this bad so quick.

I was out that way yesterday evening and had a look. It turns out that was a recent photo (my wrong!), but was especially grimy that day.

copy_1.jpg

This one gives a better idea of the damage that's not just grime.

repair.jpg

It looks like damage from the cold spell, ice ripping it up just like potholes. I still think it's fairly superficial damage and could be touched up with a new cement screed, then a general powerwash and paint.

The columns on the main platform look grand, might be more of a structural job if they were damaged and their reinforcement was exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

That superficial damage you see has been there long before last years ice snap, I remember those 'pot holes' very well as being there for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 romeo yankee

i just hope the "batty brigade" don't get loose on this truly iconic Galway land mark, it is a beautiful structure and should not be changed in any way, if proper routine maintenance was carried out annually there wouldn't be such a problem now. it has a real feel of 50's & 60's Galway to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭galwaylad

Hi Guys,

There has FINALLY been a petition posted online in the hopes that if we can get enough signatures, the Galway City Council might just take on the project of giving the diving tower the revamp it needs and i'm not just talking about a lick of paint :)

Please click on the link and sign the petition below and share with all of your friends and ask them to do the same. Thank a million :)

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/salthill-divingtower-makeover

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Couldn't agree more. I swim there on a regular basis and it's pretty decrepit to be honest. It's one of Galway's most iconic structures and it should be looked after.

While I agree with your motivations, an online petition isn't worth the paper it's written on.

If it's that important to you, go out and get some real signatures

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

While I agree with your motivations, an online petition isn't worth the paper it's written on.

If it's that important to you, go out and get some real signatures

Surely an online petition isn't written on any paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Surely an online petition isn't written on any paper.

jesus_facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

Extract from GCC website and notice in paper...

Public Consultation on Blackrock Dive Tower Rehabilitation Works at the Salthill Hotel

(Located on Salthill Promenade, Galway)

On

Wednesday the 30th of march 2016 from 7:00pm - 10:00pm

Galway city council are holding a public consultation night to allow the public to view the proposed works to blackrock dive tower which will protect the structure for future generations to enjoy.

Cronin millar conulting engineers will be available on the night to answer any questions / queries / observations that the public may have.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/news/392/59/Public-Consultation-on-Blackrock-Dive-Tower-Rehabilitation-Works-at-the-Salthill-Hotel/

Reminder the consultation is on now until 10pm. Just a couple of drawings on show.

They're proposing to flatten out a lot of the uneven ground in front of the changing area. Also adding a railing from the entrance around to the tower. Some of the rail openings on the tower mid level being closed off.

Overall unnecessary health and safety changes. All they need to do is repair/maintain what's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

J o e wrote: »
    Reminder the consultation is on now until 10pm. Just a couple of drawings on show.

They're proposing to flatten out a lot of the uneven ground in front of the changing area. Also adding a railing from the entrance around to the tower. Some of the rail openings on the tower mid level being closed off.

Overall unnecessary health and safety changes. All they need to do is repair/maintain what's there.

Anyone able to get a few pics or pdfs of the drawings and post them up? Have asked the council as well

They only had a few copies of the drawings, I asked if they were giving them out but they weren't as they are still subject to change - we're still in the pre-planning phase. A good bunch of people there and the engineers seemed pretty receptive. As the above poster said, the main thrust of the refurb is H&S. Nothing too drastic on the cards, but I don't agree with the levelling out of the ground in front of the changing area.

Thanks would agree with the levelling bit. Do you know if it was council engineers or consultants? If consultants, do you know which company?

Cronin Millar from Cork.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Cronin Millar from Cork.

Thanks. Just wondering is all.

• Advertisement

They did say they'd email a copy of the drawings if you get in touch.

The section of concrete they want to level out actually gives a nice shelter to the changing area. It's also part of the character of Blackrock.

Advertisement