Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about going on a hen - overreacting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭Tork

Residents of Kildare, Laois and Offaly face limits on their movement for at least two weeks as part of a series of new restrictions in these areas in a bid to control a sharp spike in Covid-19 cases.
    This is from this morning's Irish Times. No guarantee that the lockdown will be lifted on the 23rd. They're not ruling out more local lockdowns. Given where Westmeath is, I wouldn't like to rule anything in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pennydreadful

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Do you know what? I would do nothing, say nothing and maybe even go the extra mile of thinking nothing. First of all external conditions may dictate it is not possible. Second of all, you not wanting to go is your own private affair and requires no justification. Say nothing though to avoid any intermediary crap. If it goes ahead come down with an (imaginary) bursting migraine or a bad case of the galloping trots a few hours in advance and say I'm so terribly sorry, simply cannot come, would have really really loved to, have super fun you guys, kiss kiss!

Haha. You might be on to something!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Gruffalox wrote:
    Do you know what? I would do nothing, say nothing and maybe even go the extra mile of thinking nothing. First of all external conditions may dictate it is not possible. Second of all, you not wanting to go is your own private affair and requires no justification. Say nothing though to avoid any intermediary crap. If it goes ahead come down with an (imaginary) bursting migraine or a bad case of the galloping trots a few hours in advance and say I'm so terribly sorry, simply cannot come, would have really really loved to, have super fun you guys, kiss kiss!

This is actually the best advice, we get so wound up thinking what to say to explain ourselves to others, she doesn't care about your health or that of your loved ones, so she's not worth the energy.

As for the trots - yes, that or say you've got Covid symptoms and awaiting advice from your GP! Noone can say that you shouldnt be self isolating then!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭daheff

Haha. You might be on to something!

Or have Corona symptoms that mean you have to stay home to get a test and get the all clear...

In any case when is the wedding on? Surely there is more time to have a hen before the wedding when things clear up a bit??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It has been tough, I feel like I'm being seen as over-dramatic for not wanting to be in such close proximity to people for 24 hours but if there is even the slightest chance that one of them is asymptomatic and that I catch it and pass it on to people at home, it just isn't worth it. At least that date is more cut and dry.

You’re not being over dramatic. This is the reason cases are starting to spike again. People thinking they can just go back to normal life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I’m kind of with gruffalox. I have a celebratory thing to go to in the same timeframe, taking place in a church. Social distancing rules to apply. I really don’t want to go as I’m anxious about the virus and in a high risk category. I played the long game, didn’t turn down the invite, but did ask questions about the layout, length of service etc.

Well guess what? It’s in one of the lockdown counties! I’m still saying nothing, but waiting for the next move, which I assume will be a cancellation of the event. It could also take place on zoom very easily, which I’m happy to attend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I’m kind of with gruffalox. I have a celebratory thing to go to in the same timeframe, taking place in a church. Social distancing rules to apply. I really don’t want to go as I’m anxious about the virus and in a high risk category. I played the long game, didn’t turn down the invite, but did ask questions about the layout, length of service etc.

Well guess what? It’s in one of the lockdown counties! I’m still saying nothing, but waiting for the next move, which I assume will be a cancellation of the event. It could also take place on zoom very easily, which I’m happy to attend :)

The approach is based on Wu Wei, a Taoist idea I find enormously useful. Do nothing and see what happens. Act naturally when the moment for acting actually arises - which in OP s case would likely be to follow her instinct of not going. Etc.
    Doing nothing regularly, has saved me lifetimes of drama. Of course there are times when it means do something. Spontaneously.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_wei

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sunshinew

I'd normally be a huge advocate of being honest but in this case, I'd follow the advice of being super enthusiastic about it and then suddenly being "sick" the day before. I was very honest with a friend of mine about why I couldn't go to her wedding, hoping she'd understand. Got her a present, apologised profusely but she never spoke to me again. In hindsight I should have just "got the flu" as she wouldn't have been able to bad mouth what an awful friend I was to everybody.

This choice might be taken out of your hands but honestly, some brides are incredibly unforgiving! Their wedding is like some test on how much you value them as a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

Hi OP.

Youre not overreacting at all. You have vaild reasons to worry.

Personally, I've had no problems telling my friends I don't feel comfortable going to certain places or doing certain things. Yes, they've had an issue and they've pulled faces. People want to pull reasons from their bum because they can't accept that you're not comfortable, especially during this time. It's understandable.

As you're the maid of honor and they would expect more from you, they should also understand you're also human and have concerns. If your reasons were the opposite and it was a case you weren't in the humour then they have a right to be annoyed but at this time, no. They have no right.

If the rest of the party wants to risk and expose themselves, that's up to them. There's a reason why 3 counties are now on lockdown (and I've a niggling feeling more will follow suit).

OP, express your concerns. Over WhatsApp as I would presume there's a group chat? Say that you're worried and have concerns about the night away and also if the complex is even willing to go ahead and also, if there's people around, the chances are still high. If they all still agree and ignore the fact they are being a little bit selfish then you protect yourself. Go the whole hog. Wear a mask. Sanitize yourself. Make sure you don't use anyone else's belongings. Keep with the 2m rule. You're doing your part. Let the rest of them be silly.

If you weren't maid of hornor I say, don't go. Let the bride have a moment about it. She'll get over it. As a maid of honour... Do what you feel you need to do but make it clear that you've done all you can to express your concerns and you will protect yourself at all times.

If I was the bride I wouldn't even be going ahead with it in the first place. Call me boring but it seems like this is something the bride wants to do so she can say she had a hen party rather than be realistic here and think about the current situation that's going on. A few drinks and food in her home later on in the year won't make a huge difference to making people feel they have to surround themselves in another county where they don't know who's been in contact with who. My friend in work cancelled all plans towards her hens and wedding and changed everything to 2022 just so she doesn't have to put anyone at risk or feel they HAVE to go places and think of reasons why they shouldn't. The bride needs to have a bit of a talk with herself but you personally, think about yourself and follow what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I'd do as someone else suggested. Wait it out, and hopefully it'll get cancelled anyway without you having to do or say anything and look like the bad guy. If you're unlucky and it goes ahead, then pull out at the very last minute citing illness and say how terribly sad you are to miss it.

I honestly think anyone going ahead with a wedding or a hen right now is enormously selfish, and I think very little of them. Cousin of mine is insisting on having her wedding 2 weeks from now and my parents feel obliged to go. She's only about 25, hardly rushing to start a family before it's too late or any other nonsense, she could easily postpone it if she cared about anyone but herself. I hope it gets cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I'd do as someone else suggested. Wait it out, and hopefully it'll get cancelled anyway without you having to do or say anything and look like the bad guy. If you're unlucky and it goes ahead, then pull out at the very last minute citing illness and say how terribly sad you are to miss it.

I honestly think anyone going ahead with a wedding or a hen right now is enormously selfish, and I think very little of them. Cousin of mine is insisting on having her wedding 2 weeks from now and my parents feel obliged to go. She's only about 25, hardly rushing to start a family before it's too late or any other nonsense, she could easily postpone it if she cared about anyone but herself. I hope it gets cancelled.

What county is the ceremony and/or reception taking place in?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,128 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I’d be honest where you stand about this and just say you don’t feel comfortable going. If they want to make a big deal out of it then that’s their baby.
    I have seen a few issues with people fighting over Covid and they were generally caused by somebody who wasn’t honest about what they felt comfortable doing. They either didn’t show up at last minute or showed up and was grumpy.
    So, I’d just be honest and say your not going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

What county is the ceremony and/or reception taking place in?

Not one of those now in lockdown, but it still seems like a terrible idea. Apparently she's having 100 guests. Who has a 100 guest wedding during a pandemic?!

Not one of those now in lockdown, but it still seems like a terrible idea. Apparently she's having 100 guests. Who has a 100 guest wedding during a pandemic?!

Max indoors is meant to be 50 isn't it including hotel staff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

Max indoors is meant to be 50 isn't it including hotel staff?

I know someone who's family member decided to go ahead with their wedding. Hotel said 50 people including staff so the bride ended up telling 2 out of 3 of her children they couldn't go and landed them with a relative she also told couldn't go. She basically wittled her list down to herself, husband, 1 child, her mother and father, his father and one friend who was bridesmaid and one of his friend that was groomsman and the rest was catering staff and photographer. I felt embarrassed for her to be honest. She didn't get deposit back for lack of people as she decided to go ahead. Hotel informed bride that the usual reciption that goes on the next day after the wedding can be a meal and drinks and that was it. There was no party.

Honestly I wouldn't of bothered myself. Took my losses and moved on but no it seems that some brides just want that "I have to get married moment". Which is fine. But jesus have some common sense. From what I know majority of her family aren't impressed and her friends aren't expecting an apology from her either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I think I’d enjoy having the story to tell the grandchildren about the small and special wedding we had during a global pandemic, it would be so different to the mega weddings we’ve all become used to since we became a moneyed people.

I’m not understanding why people think it’s life as usual and we should do everything the same, when in reality our lives have changed dramatically and we may be living this “small” life for the next few years. We have to learn to adapt accordingly, which doesn’t mean no fun or joy, it might mean making occasions intimate and special, and making different kinds of memories. Who the hell really has 100+ friends anyway??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

No, OP, you are not overreacting.
    From a purely pragmatic point of view, check the terms of the booking so that you don't end up out of pocket, as you mentioned you are the one organising it. Ensure that it is cancelled in good time.

I would have no hesitation in saying I wasn't comfortable with attending, even supposing that the restrictions for the three counties were not in place, and most people due to attend, are from those counties.
    But they are, and most people will abide by them, thankfully.

I appreciate that you might not want to do that, but these are very strange times we are living in, and the reality is that lots of events have had to be cancelled/ postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

Aren't places supposed to cancel bookings from people that are resident in LOK, sure I seen hotels refusing bookings from people coming from these places. I was supposed to be in westport tonight and they rang to cancel as I am technically resident in Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Pistachio19

You're not overreacting. I'd text the bride with a copy of that tweet showing the date of 23rd and say "well, looks like the decision to go ahead with the hen has been taken out of our hands. I'll let the others know that we won't be able to go ahead and I'll cancel the house booking".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Regardless of the hen friends being from those 3 counties, I'd still be sending my apologies.
    The current rules state something along the lines of only 6 people together in a house, a mix of no more than 3 households so them being from those areas is an aside as it is.
    I think in these absolute unprecedented times, to expect anyone to go anywhere unnecessary (parties, weddings, meet ups, whatever) is the epitome of selfish.
    Back in the big freeze of 2010, a friend of mine had her 40th birthday in a restaurant ten miles from my house. This was in the depth of winter, at night, when temperatures got as low as Russia. The roads around here were like a skating rink and even in the day when I went out for essentials a few times I couldn't get up a local hill.
    I refused point blank to go. I didn't apologise, just explained why I wasn't going in such dangerous conditions.
    If you've decided you don't feel safe going, just say it straight out. Send her the details of the booking and ask her to delegate the rest of the organising to someone else.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

In a pandemic ? Are you serious?
    Call it off and have a good cry on her wedding day about how covid19 fcuked up your hen's
    It's your get out of jail card

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

At this point the answer is sorry ladies, we will have to come up with a Plan b.
    This is not a new normal, or any sort of normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I wouldn't dream of going. I would do what a poster upthread suggested and say the decision has been taken out of your hands.

If the bride still wants to go ahead i'd tell her to delegate your duties elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

I think your overreacting. Life must go on, we cannot live like this forever.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'm following this with interest as I'm in a similar situation with my best friend's hen. It's in two weeks and her sister and mum are organising it. I've just heard that it's apparently going to include a pub crawl and that people are coming over from the UK for it and I'm getting really uncomfortable. I'm not at risk but do have health issues and bad anxiety. Problem is that this girl is my best friend and my own maid of honour and it would kill me to miss her day.

Would love to know what you decide to do in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'm following this with interest as I'm in a similar situation with my best friend's hen. It's in two weeks and her sister and mum are organising it. I've just heard that it's apparently going to include a pub crawl and that people are coming over from the UK for it and I'm getting really uncomfortable. I'm not at risk but do have health issues and bad anxiety. Problem is that this girl is my best friend and my own maid of honour and it would kill me to miss her day.

Will the pubs even be open in 2 weeks unless serving food? The mind boggles that people think that this is acceptable. I assume the people from the U.K. won’t be quarantining for 2 weeks either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭Tork

I'm not at risk but do have health issues and bad anxiety.

Even if you have decided you are not at risk (that's never a certainty with Covid-19), you could pass it on to people who are. The selfishness of some people knows no bounds.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would severely doubt pubs will be open in 2 weeks.But I wouldn't go to that either.

The pub crawl is reason enough not to go but the added impact of people flying in from The UK would ensure I wouldn't be going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You're not overreacting. I'd text the bride with a copy of that tweet showing the date of 23rd and say "well, looks like the decision to go ahead with the hen has been taken out of our hands. I'll let the others know that we won't be able to go ahead and I'll cancel the house booking".

Better again I would try get the venue to send a cancellation email. Then its out your hands and you can give out about meat plants and the venue being over protective without being the bad guy

Advertisement