Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin barbers were you don't have to wear a mask

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

greasepalm wrote: »
    Local barber does haircuts wearing a faceshield and gown but clients in the chairs are not as how can you do a haircut wearing one.

Nothing to stop users who cant breath with a mask on to wear a face shield instead.

Wearing nothing is silly and many places may not let you in or on their transport.

Face shields need to be worn with a mask. We wear masks to protect others. Face shields force droplets downwards and may offer some protection to the wearer but none to the people around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Big Gerry wrote: »
    That's private I'm not going to disclose my medical history to random people.

I have a letter from my Doctor that says I shouldn't wear one that should be end of the matter if I get stopped getting on the bus etc.

You don't have a genuine medical reason though do you? You're just a National Party supporting contrarian who sees 'left wing' conspiracies wherever you go. At least be honest like.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Selfish ?

Are you Doctor.

How do you know they don't have a underlying health condition.

My own Doctor told me not to wear a mask and now I fear I will have scumbags starting fights with me when they see I'm not wearing a mask in public.

Seriously doubt it, but hey, this is the internet, you could just as easily say that you are a Dr and are advising people don't wear them.

If this is genuine, could you not ring your local barber, or ring around a few, explain your issue, and ask if they could facilitate you at the end of the day after all other clients have left the premises. Be prepared to pay extra, as the barber will have to stay behind to santise the station after your cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

If you have a medical issue, that's fair enough but it doesn't excuse asking someone else to risk their life to cut your hair.
    It's ridiculously selfish.

Buy a clippers and do it yourself or ask someone in your bubble to do it for you.. . . Or just let your hair grow.

If you catch anything even a cold you'll be wearing a mask in any medical setting you visit or getting no treatment, so you shouldn't put yourself at any additional risk if that's not an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

A medical condition, but you won't say what it is on an anonymous forum?

I think people simply don't believe you. And if you do have a medical issue, maybe get a nice hair style in the city centre isn't a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Could you compromise and ask the barber politely if you can wear a visor?

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seriously doubt it, but hey, this is the internet, you could just as easily say that you are a Dr and are advising people don't wear them.

There's a GP in NCD that has fallen in to the full scale conspiracy theory stuff and is likely telling everyone not to wear one

I have a medical condition that gives me an exemption. I don't need to use it.

I can't wear one when out walking at a normal speed or climbing stairs but I can sure as feck wear one on a bus/train or in a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have a letter from my Doctor that says I shouldn't wear one that should be end of the matter if I get stopped getting on the bus etc.
    Can you wear a visor then

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Can you wear a visor then

As I've already posted, you're supposed to wear a mask with a visor.

• Advertisement

Just out of curiousity, for men who've been to the barbers, does the mask get in the way at all? I'm assuming it has to come off at some point, to get around the ears and such?

My barber used to to do my facial hair aswell, which was always good. Obviously that's a non-runner nowadays (I haven't been to a barber since this all kicked off).

I have a friend who has pretty bad asthma. Naturally, a mask covering their nose and mouth would make life very difficult for them (or so I could imagine, thankfully I don't suffer with it) and I fully understood that they wouldn't wear a mask. Much to my surprise they do wear one. Turns out they can survive with a thin piece of cloth over their mouth for 20 minutes and they're not a selfish asshole, as I expected they would possibly be.

What are the stats on mask-related deaths, I wonder..?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭blade1

micar wrote: »
    I go blade 1 all over every few weeks.

And I appreciate your custom and will continue to give you the all over treatment for as long as you want! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Not true.

I have a letter from my Doctor that says I can't wear one due a long term health condition I have.

I'm a Doctor. I'll post you out a letter that says you can wear one. There is no legitimate physical reason not too. Even those with respiratory issues such as Asthma can wear one. In fact, those with such issues need to protect themselves and others around them more than most. There are lots of different face coverings from disparate materials so skin sensitivity is not the issue.
    Can you wear shirts/blouses or t-shirts? If so, just use one of them or even a scarf as a makeshift covering.
    If not, well you're clearly lying about two things then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I really hope business owners are allowed to refuse entry to people who don't wear a mask, whether they have a letter from a doctor or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Just out of curiousity, for men who've been to the barbers, does the mask get in the way at all? I'm assuming it has to come off at some point, to get around the ears and such?
    I went in to the Grafton Barber last week, kept the mask on for pretty much all of it, just took off the straps and held it to my face when he was going round the ears and that sorta thing, felt a bit silly, but c'est la vie! But other than that, it was no real hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

kowloonkev wrote: »
    I really hope business owners are allowed to refuse entry to people who don't wear a mask, whether they have a letter from a doctor or not.

This is the thing - even having a letter from a doctor doesn't entitle you to be in businesses without a mask.

People who refuse to wear masks, even if they have a 'medical condition' are putting other people at risk. To do so for something as trivial as a haircut is plain selfish. I'd say it's pretty selfish to even do the grocery shop without one - order online for Pete's sake, or get someone else to do it.

Having a 'medical condition' doesn't make these people more important than everyone else. It doesn't make them immune to getting or spreading the virus.

If you're so terribly ill that you can't possibly sit in a mask for 20 minutes while you get your hair cut, then what the fck are you doing getting a haircut in the first place?!

kowloonkev wrote: »

Me too, but I imagine the kind of selfish, entitled person who thinks it's OK to go around without a mask in a pandemic to do non-essential things like get a haircut is the same kind of person who would claim discrimination and threaten to write a bad review if the business owner refused to be bullied into letting them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....I have a friend who has pretty bad asthma. Naturally, a mask covering their nose and mouth would make life very difficult for them (or so I could imagine, thankfully I don't suffer with it) and I fully understood that they wouldn't wear a mask. Much to my surprise they do wear one. Turns out they can survive with a thin piece of cloth over their mouth for 20 minutes and they're not a selfish asshole, as I expected they would possibly be.

What are the stats on mask-related deaths, I wonder..?

Why would there be deaths from a mask thats breathable.

You are not thinking this through.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

These places should be reported and shut down.

Fair enough but is there not exceptions for those who can't wear masks? I'm sure any decent barber shop could make an effort to help out, maybe an early appointment, extra measures etc, I do agree though those flouting the rules need to be taken to task, I see report yesterday suggesting face shields not enough in hairdressers /barbers so there could be more coming that affects this sector

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

beauf wrote: »
    Why would there be deaths from a mask thats breathable.

You are not thinking this through.

That was my point - no one has died from wearing a mask. Yet the way (some) people talk about it, you'd think they were suffocating people left, right and centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Fair enough but is there not exceptions for those who can't wear masks? I'm sure any decent barber shop could make an effort to help out, maybe an early appointment, extra measures etc, I do agree though those flouting the rules need to be taken to task, I see report yesterday suggesting face shields not enough in hairdressers /barbers so there could be more coming that affects this sector

No.

You're (general you) asking a barber to risk his life for your haircut. Early hours etc. don't help a barber to not get infected.

Do itbyourself or go without.

No.

You're (general you) asking a barber to risk his life for your haircut. Early hours etc. don't help a barber to not get infected.

Do itbyourself or go without.

And then that barber infects a heap of other customers too.

GarIT wrote: »
    From Monday you legally have to wear one.

There is no medical reason that could stop you wearing a mask other than a mental health issue, a phobia or masks or something, maybe anxiety.

I wear one all the time, have asthma, and have had a couple of mild attacks.

Humidity is one of my triggers.

Most asthmatics will have no issue but not all, so I cut my own hair and am ready to leave a shop if feel tightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Afaik It's doesn't effect the intake of air. From doctors measuring this online.

But if you have a breathing condition I'm sure it might increase stress and anxiety. Which is a genuine issue. But if you were that bad you probably should be isolating and cocooning anyway.

beauf wrote: »
    Afaik It's doesn't effect the intake of air. From doctors measuring this online.

But if you have a breathing condition I'm sure it might increase stress and anxiety. Which is a genuine issue. But if you were that bad you probably should be isolating and cocooning anyway.

Humidity is a trigger, this time of year is a balls anyway (for me). Couple that with humidity buildup behind the mask means difficulty.

And I still wear one, quite easily, until it becomes an issue. Get under control and is fine again, for a while.

Nothing to do with airflow, it's to do with inflammatory response.

Just highlighting the nonsense about saying "no medical reason", there are but it just means that I takemore care than others. Especially about being able to get to an open area where I can take it off and treat an attack

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I have a friend who has pretty bad asthma. Naturally, a mask covering their nose and mouth would make life very difficult for them (or so I could imagine, thankfully I don't suffer with it) and I fully understood that they wouldn't wear a mask. Much to my surprise they do wear one. Turns out they can survive with a thin piece of cloth over their mouth for 20 minutes and they're not a selfish asshole, as I expected they would possibly be.

I’d go even further.

Properly fitted FFP2 and FFP3 masks are a different story and make it harder to breath, but surgical masks have very little to no effect on the airflow. If a respiratory condition was to cause discomfort with a surgical mask, that would be extremely severe and we would be talking about someone who needs constant medical attention anyway.

A smart person with asthma will actually want everyone including themselves to wear masks, as they will recognise that they are in a group with high risks of complications if they get the virus. And they certainly wouldn't be looking for a barber were masks aren’t mandatory.

Besides mental health related conditions, the only other health issue preventing from wearing one which I can think of would be if someone has very badly damaged skin (severe burn for exemple) or extremely acute skin allergies. But again we are talking about people who probably need regular medical attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I'm trying to think of possible medical afflictions that prevents people from wearing a thin piece of cloth for a few minutes at a time, i have asthma and have no problem wearing 1, any other conditions apart from having no ears to loop the mask around

I'm trying to think of possible medical afflictions that prevents people from wearing a thin piece of cloth for a few minutes at a time, i have asthma and have no problem wearing 1, any other conditions apart from having no ears to loop the mask around

They have a severe case of attentionseeking-itis, sometimes with an additional diagnosis of imspecial-itis and rulesdontapplytome syndrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I've skipped a fair few posts to get to the end of the thread, so apologies if any/all of this has been covered.

1) Not aiming at the OP personally, but, in all of the videos, online posts, tweets etc that I have seen involving someone who says they can't wear a mask for medical reasons, not once have any of them either specified the condition, or produced one of these doctors' letters. It does make one wonder.

2) I have mild asthma. I won't claim to speak for anyone suffering more severely, but the most important thing for an asthmatic is that the condition be 'controlled'. That means using a daily inhaler that controls the condition more or less completely. Anyone who is always on the verge of an attack because of known triggers should really be going back to their doctor, because their condition isn't under control.

3) If a mask really isn't an option, then what's wrong with a visor? Perfectly acceptable, and they eliminate the breath hindering/facial discomfort/claustrophobic issues.

• Advertisement

I've run into issues after about half an hour of continuous use.
    Do you normally struggle at this time of year?

Advertisement