Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yet another swimming ban this morning...

• 06-08-2020 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭

What's going on, anyone know the issue, ban was only lifted 2 days ago and it back again this morning in Lahinch, Kilkee, Spanish point, Milton malby.
    I believe it's the river entering at the north of lahinch but why is it constantly polluted?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's runoff from farms and other areas coupled with lots of rain and warm temperatures which is encouraging bacterial growth I think

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just chatting to my brother there he reckons it's a **** pipe a few km off shore that's leaking as opposed to the river causing it.
    Is there sewerage pipes leaking I wonder..

Mrs was just chatting to someone in the council there saying it's the pumps in Kilkee, they can't cope with the extra load and it's all just ending up straight in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

Clareman wrote: »
    It's runoff from farms and other areas coupled with lots of rain and warm temperatures which is encouraging bacterial growth I think

It is not the run off from farms. It is sewage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

There is an official Clare County Council report from 2015/16 floating around (can't find it at the minute) that goes into detail on all swimming beaches in Clare as well as the inflows nearby the beaches.

It's been about 2 years since I saw the report but as far as I remember, there is raw sewage flowing into the Inagh River just below Ennistimon which outputs at the north side of Lahinch Beach as well as sewage flowing near the beaches at Kilkee, Quilty and Spanish Point. As mentioned above, it's not farmland drain-off due to heavy rain. I'll see if I can dig out the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

If the council believed it was the fault of the farmers, you can be sure they would have said it. They haven't said because they know bloody well that it's between themselves and Irish Water the problem is

Just noticed this looks like it should be completed by 2022, currently 8000 wheelie bins of sewerage being dumped in the water a day. https://www.water.ie/projects-plans/kilkee-sewerage-scheme/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

does look at bit "brown" this morning or is that just a natural colour?

http://www.onitsurf.com/surf-cameras/lahinch-beach-surf-camera.html

It's been brown the last couple of weeks, proper poo looking. They've lifted restrictions this morning at most of the beaches still an advisory not to swim in Lahinch.
    It should be clear looking not brown, it's crystal clear up the road in fanore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is the ban in Lahinch still in place?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

fryup wrote: »
    is the ban in Lahinch still in place?

Nope, lifted yesterday

https://twitter.com/ClareCoCo/status/1293496453105688581?s=19

Advertisement