Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IKEA queues?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was up on Sunday, arrived 3.30pm queued and entered the store at 4.03pm. Maybe I got lucky especially for a Sunday but it wasnt too bad at all. One thing is the queue looks absolutely massive and it snakes for ages but that is because people are spaced well apart. But when you join it then the queue moves quick enough, you're shuffling forward every 30 seconds or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Was there at about 3pm on Monday. Queue took 55 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm thinking of trying IKEA today, any idea what queues are like now? I assume it's still open under level 3....

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

I'm thinking of trying IKEA today, any idea what queues are like now? I assume it's still open under level 3....

did you make the trip in the end?
    Im thinking about going this week and wondering if there are still queues these days..?

thanks

Heading midweek myself and have heard the queues are still a daily occurance. 30 minutes if you are lucky but be prepared for 45-60 minutes and sometimes even longer.

We're making this the last trip to Ikea as we dont want to be standing in an hour long queue outdoors in the winter. So will be stocking up on everything that is needed to avoid further visits, we wont be going again until at least April.

• Advertisement

Anjunadeep wrote: »
    did you make the trip in the end?
    Im thinking about going this week and wondering if there are still queues these days..?

thanks

Not yet, from what I've heard though, now is a good time to go while we're on level 3 so less people coming from out of Dublin. I've heard there are still queues but much much shorter, like 20 minutes or less usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Was there on Friday, arrived about 11am and the queue looked long but moved fairly quickly, I was in in about 15 minutes.

The store itself was fine, but the market hall area was fairly bunged with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Went last Thursday, arrived at about 10:30, took 21 mins to get into the shop, but the queue was constantly moving, so not as bad as expected. Store wasn't as packed as I thought it might be, but as someone noted above the market hall is where people forget to keep their 2 metres apart.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I strolled in lunchtime Thursday with no q at all. Quite big q's for checkout though.

I've been refitting out my shops so have been in and out quite often over the last few months. I was bringing a crutch with me and walking (limping) straight in and another easier work-around the q is to bring something small from Ikea with you and a receipt (I use a pack of bulbs) and say to security at the top of the q that you're going to "Returns" and you don't have to q, you get waved straight in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭raheny red

The missus went around 7ish last night. No queue. As is being said multiple times above the market hall area was a bit laxed......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

we went on Thursday last, left home at 5.20, got there 5.45, no queue.
    inside was jammed, all check-outs busy was queuing for 45/50 mins to pay.

Sounds like the queues are more likely to be inside it at the checkouts rather than outside it to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Sounds like the queues are more likely to be inside it at the checkouts rather than outside it to get in.

This is what it was like pre Covid. There has pretty much always been a queue at the tills since it opened

Went last week and it honestly just felt like a normal IKEA shopping trip. No queue to get in. Fairly busy inside

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Dodge wrote: »
    This is what it was like pre Covid. There has pretty much always been a queue at the tills since it opened

Went last week and it honestly just felt like a normal IKEA shopping trip. No queue to get in. Fairly busy inside

What time was that,. Are all the tills open cause the queues seem to be at the tills.

Was there yesterday at 4pm, no queue at all. Tills were well manned and the queue for them was only 5 minutes

Did a drive by at 11 this morning, still lots of queues.

horse7 wrote: »

Just taking a guess here but maybe on weekdays going at 3-4pm is a sweet spot to avoid queues. Id imagine there is always going to be a morning and early afternoon crowd and then likely another crowd going after work finishes at 5pm.

horse7 wrote: »

They let in a crowd when they open, most people will be at least an hour inside so it will be 11ish before they start letting more people in so queues will have been building up in that time.

Was there today (Friday), arrived at 3.50, got in at 4.20. Would definitely suggest a jacket - even though it's dry where we were queuing, it's quite chilly. No major queues at the tills, we were in and out fairly quickly.

Caranica wrote: »
    They let in a crowd when they open, most people will be at least an hour inside so it will be 11ish before they start letting more people in so queues will have been building up in that time.

This isn’t true at all. They don’t stop letting people in for an hour (or anything like that). It’s about 5 minutes max between groups that go in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Was there today (Friday), arrived at 3.50, got in at 4.20. Would definitely suggest a jacket - even though it's dry where we were queuing, it's quite chilly. No major queues at the tills, we were in and out fairly quickly.

Went in around 2, approx 5 mins in queue. Had tried at 12 but queues were too long so came back.

Are they still running a priority queue between 10 and 11?

Dodge wrote: »
    This isn’t true at all. They don’t stop letting people in for an hour (or anything like that). It’s about 5 minutes max between groups that go in

Not at opening? That's what the guy on the door told me when I asked why the queue was so long. They let capacity in (in dribs and drabs) at opening and then have to wait for people to start coming out. I think they were more strict at the start, I queued for nearly three hours in August but a few weeks ago I walked straight in one evening and queue was about 15 minutes another. There were definitely more people inside in September than in August too.

Caranica wrote: »
    Not at opening? That's what the guy on the door told me when I asked why the queue was so long. They let capacity in (in dribs and drabs) at opening and then have to wait for people to start coming out. I think they were more strict at the start, I queued for nearly three hours in August but a few weeks ago I walked straight in one evening and queue was about 15 minutes another. There were definitely more people inside in September than in August too.
    It’s simply not true that they wait an hour. Sure it has a capacity but they don’t, and never have, let in a load at 10am and then wait an hour for them to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

I was there about 3:20 and there was hardly any queue but the queue was building are fierce pace we were a couple of minute before a large crowd and when we left the queue looked about 30 -40 minutes. I think it's all about timing and a bit of luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭ongarite

Was there Friday around 2:20
    No queue at all, just walked in the door!
    It was busy in the store in certain sections but that's the normal there anyway.

In an out in a hour, spending more than I expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

I’m thinking of going to Ikea tomorrow but only time I can go is 10am which is opening time. Any idea what the queues at that time have been like this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

In this morning (sat) at 11.30am, no queues but its busy enough inside and barriers set up for queueing. Guess there willl be lines later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Was there on Friday around 12. Very pleasant experience! No queues and not too busy in the store. Some good price reductions also, especially on Christmas stock.

• Advertisement

Anecdotally, the queues after the first lockdown ended were mostly people caught on the hop when it was first announced (including working from home adjustments etc etc)

I think most people had the idea that it might happen again somewhat so got whatever they needed for the house. So the queues won’t be as desperate now

Again, this is only speaking to people I know but I think it rings a little true

Advertisement