Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxes and tails

• 14-07-2020 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭

We have two foxes in our area that we see regular

One has a big bushy tail, the other very not so bushy

Are they different types of foxes, is it a sex difference?

We sometimes leave scraps out for them - never often and never much - and they both seem love it, the bush tailed fox generally gobbles it in to their mouth and scurries off (assume to bury it) while the mangey tailed one usually gobbles up what he can
    They tend to get on and share the food but other times chase each other away

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Mod: moved from Animals & Pet Issues.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The one that carries the food away could very well bring it to its pups. The other one is probably a juvenile... unless it does have mange - do you see it scratching itself like mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

New Home wrote: »
    The one that carries the food away could very well bring it to its pups. The other one is probably a juvenile... unless it does have mange - do you see it scratching itself like mad?

Never see it scratching

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Then it's probably just a juvenile.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

Thats actually a good question which I wondered about recently myself.

I feed this "non-bushy" tail one every evening in the Ranelagh area nd even enquired with a vet if I should buy an anti-mange treatment. The vet wants me to catch it and bring to him....haha, good luck to me!
    I never saw him/her scratching but both foxes look very similar in age yet one has a poor looking tail while the other one looks like a "proper" fox.
    I will keep an eye on both and if necessary i will buy a medicine for the poor tail one, called him Skinny.

I attach a pic of Skinny.

• Advertisement

It looks severely underweight and its fur is bad all over, in fairness a visit to the vet would be the best thing gor it. Ask the vet if he has a humane trap he can lend you, I know they use them for catching feral cats for the TNR programme (Trap Neuter Release).

There is a very good chance it's the same foxes :D

(though that one looks a bit too skinny)

Yes, i do my best, i usually buy chicken legs and give one to each fox but they look at me asking for more so started to buy sausages. I carry a big bag of food with me each evening and all i initially wanted was to just go for an evening walk.
    I read somewhere that if i had a medicine for mange i could insert in a roll with a jam or honey and it would be sufficient for the first 10 days, then i would repeat the same thing and the poor creature would be back on track once and for all. A friend of mine (volunteer) at the Kildare Sanctuary said that if i get the medicine that can be eaten with the food then the fox doesnt have to be caught. She said that the massive stress of being caught and away from their herd can actually kill him/her.
    I ordered a homeopathic antimange medicine online from UK but i think it was a scam cos it's 3 weeks now i got nothing. Lost £14. The vet doesnt want to prescribe it for me without seeing the fox so i am kinda stuck. I showed him the pics but still no.

Skinny was super skinny a few months ago. When i saw it i knew i cant just leave it like that. So every evening he/she waits for me in the front yard of this gorgeous house i pass by and he/she gets the food. He looks a bit better now but it was indeed very bad at the beginning.

Fritzelly, many thanks for feeding skinny and the sibling! Love it! I suspect ypu may be the owner of the best looking house in Ranelagh! Even foxes love it.

"New Home", let me please first try to help them with the less invasive way. If i see that the meds dont work I will go for the trap.

It's a shot in the dark but does anyone in here has an anti-mange medicine that can be eaten with food?

Yes, i do my best, i usually buy chicken legs and give one to each fox but they look at me asking for more so started to buy sausages. I carry a big bag of food with me each evening and all i initially wanted was to just go for an evening walk.
    I read somewhere that if i had a medicine for mange i could insert in a roll with a jam or honey and it would be sufficient for the first 10 days, then i would repeat the same thing and the poor creature would be back on track once and for all. A friend of mine (volunteer) at the Kildare Sanctuary said that if i get the medicine that can be eaten with the food then the fox doesnt have to be caught. She said that the massive stress of being caught and away from their herd can actually kill him/her.
    I ordered a homeopathic antimange medicine online from UK but i think it was a scam cos it's 3 weeks now i got nothing. Lost £14. The vet doesnt want to prescribe it for me without seeing the fox so i am kinda stuck. I showed him the pics but still no.

Skinny was super skinny a few months ago. When i saw it i knew i cant just leave it like that. So every evening he/she waits for me in the front yard of this gorgeous house i pass by and he/she gets the food. He looks a bit better now but it was indeed very bad at the beginning.

Fritzelly, many thanks for feeding skinny and the sibling! Love it! I suspect ypu may be the owner of the best looking house in Ranelagh! Even foxes love it.

"New Home", let me please first try to help them with the less invasive way. If i see that the meds dont work I will go for the trap.

It's a shot in the dark but does anyone in here has an anti-mange medicine that can be eaten with food?

Medicine will have to be administered on the basis of age, weight, etc. We also don't know if the fox has any other underlying conditions that could require a different treatment. Contact one of the wildlife rangers or the rescue place and ask them, they may come out and take a look. At least you'll know from the experts how to proceed.

Also, while this was mentioned on another thread, this still applies here.
    Mod Note:

Nobody should give advice or recommendations about treating wildlife with medication or veterinary products, except a vet!

• Advertisement

The two foxes now have bushy tails (well one no longer has the mangey looking tail) - tho one has a bit of limp on the back leg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

fritzelly wrote: »
    The two foxes now have bushy tails (well one no longer has the mangey looking tail) - tho one has a bit of limp on the back leg

Getting the winter coat ready now. Ive noticed in the ones I've seen recently that the cubs from this year are starting to get the bushier tails. Its about that time anyway that they'll be feeding alot more now and getting ready for winter. Normally a healthy adult will have a bushy tail all year round.

Hi Fritz, is the limping fox the one with a white tail tip? There are 2 foxes, one that was always very skinny, with a bit bent/curved spine and a skinny "bony" tail and the other one, probably a sibling, with more bushier tail that has a white tail tip.
    I noticed that the "white tail tip" fox was limping recently and I was worrying about it. They have to fend off a lot of dogs, run away from cars, avoid smashed glass on the road, sometimes they get stung by a bee or fight among themselves for food so they get injured. I saw my skinny fox running away from a chasing dog that was not on a leash, they both ran on the road and was almost hit by a car but it stopped on time. My heart skipped a beat! The owner was casually calling his dog over. I told him "you almost lost your dog, safer to keep it on the leash" and he replied "cos of the bloody fox". Interesting how he didnt see my point. Such a poor judgement from the owner and so close to a tragedy for both animals. I can't see any fault of the fox here.

I think both foxes get more proper food now and both got a nicer fur, hopefully will be bigger and bushier by the winter time. It's great to see how they cope despite so much danger around. Please dont stop feeding them, despite what some people say.

Getting the winter coat ready now. Ive noticed in the ones I've seen recently that the cubs from this year are starting to get the bushier tails. Its about that time anyway that they'll be feeding alot more now and getting ready for winter. Normally a healthy adult will have a bushy tail all year round.

I fully agree.

We now have 3 foxes coming round but one came around tonight and what the hell has happened to the tail

yd419lb.jpg

All three foxes looked fine about a week ago

Bit off topic but this video was hilarious
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofp26_oc4CA&ab_

We now have 3 foxes coming round but one came around tonight and what the hell has happened to the tail

yd419lb.jpg

All three foxes looked fine about a week ago

Bit off topic but this video was hilarious
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofp26_oc4CA&ab_

Mange 100%, super uncomfortable to the fox and a slow and cruel death. There is a cure though and I was advised by a vet to buy 1 tablet of Bravecto (attached). The art is to make sure the affected fox eats it with e.g. meat ball. You can distract the other foxes with food and then give the poor looking one the meat with the tablet in it. It's 1 tablet only so best is to squish it and mix well with the meat. Within 4-6 weeks the fur will nicely grow back and mange, fleas and ticks will be gone. Do you think you can do it? Is the fox visiting you regularly or it was a once off?

Visits every night but there is 3 of them that take turns

Visits every night but there is 3 of them that take turns

Mange can be easily spread on other foxes so it's vital to target the one who is already suffering. I can provide a ph number of an administrator of a wild-animal rescue centre (will send it via a private message). This person operates a Whatapp group, you can text her, describe the problem, state your area, attach a pic and she will be able to either advice on what to do next or organise a team to capture the fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Johnner2

The one that carries the food away could very well bring it to its pups.
    Foxes don't have pup's.

Johnner2 wrote: »
    Foxes don't have pup's.

Oh a grammar police here. Pups, cubs, babies...who cares, we know what the post meant, while your comment was totally pointless.

Mange can be easily spread on other foxes so it's vital to target the one who is already suffering. I can provide a ph number of an administrator of a wild-animal rescue centre (will send it via a private message). This person operates a Whatapp group, you can text her, describe the problem, state your area, attach a pic and she will be able to either advice on what to do next or organise a team to capture the fox.

Sorry for late reply

Got on to them - won't touch an urban fox, too much stress to pick up. Gave a number of a vet to call for tablets but...they want a prescription for it (the contact you gave don't do that) and about 40 euro per tablet. Being out of work right now far too expensive and they say you should give it to all the foxes in the pack, sorry don't have 70/80 euro spare

The mange looks to be spreading on to his main coat - used to have a bit of hair on the end of his tail, thats gone now and starting to look bare on his behind

DSPCC not interested at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

You could feed the foxes to keep them strong while they have the mange. Some but not many foxes will recover from mange without treatment. PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Foxes are fierce plenty this year.

Foxes are fierce plenty this year.

Counted 7 in one field out lamping other night. Mating season man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Counted 7 in one field out lamping other night. Mating season man

There’s dam all out shooting anymore.it used to be a day out here of a Sunday where lads would gather with dogs and hunt for the day.
    Theres none of that now.an elderly neighbour told me they hunted fox and rabbit every Sunday.
    You’d see none of that now

Sorry for late reply

Got on to them - won't touch an urban fox, too much stress to pick up. Gave a number of a vet to call for tablets but...they want a prescription for it (the contact you gave don't do that) and about 40 euro per tablet. Being out of work right now far too expensive and they say you should give it to all the foxes in the pack, sorry don't have 70/80 euro spare

The mange looks to be spreading on to his main coat - used to have a bit of hair on the end of his tail, thats gone now and starting to look bare on his behind

DSPCC not interested at all

Fritzely, get in touch with me on private, I have the medicine you need and which my vet prescribed for a manged fox.

There’s dam all out shooting anymore.it used to be a day out here of a Sunday where lads would gather with dogs and hunt for the day.
    Theres none of that now.an elderly neighbour told me they hunted fox and rabbit every Sunday.
    You’d see none of that now

What part of country you in? I know of myself and several lads out 4 times a week now protecting lambs against foxes shooting a lot.

What part of country you in? I know of myself and several lads out 4 times a week now protecting lambs against foxes shooting a lot.

Not sure why you are polluting this thread with killing foxes?

Not sure why you are polluting this thread with killing foxes?

Jeeees I simply responded to another person calm down

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

It looks severely underweight and its fur is bad all over, in fairness a visit to the vet would be the best thing gor it. Ask the vet if he has a humane trap he can lend you, I know they use them for catching feral cats for the TNR programme (Trap Neuter Release).

do vets do this?? don't think my local vet would be too happy if i popped in one day with a wild fox, the fox would go nuts for one thing

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    do vets do this?? don't think my local vet would be too happy if i popped in one day with a wild fox, the fox would go nuts for one thing

Half of the Irish vets do help the wildlife, in most cases they just humanely euthanize an animal because of the cost or the injury. The correct process is to contact e.g. Kildare Wildlife Sanctuary (KWS), describe the issue (injury from a car accident, mange, broken wing in a bird, etc) and they will make a record of it, then tell you to go to the local vet and say that the Kildare Sanctuary sent you. Vets are awarded special certificate if they help wildlife and their cost can be reimbursed, some help the wildlife out of their good heart without asking for anything - they are the best of the best vets.
    Yes, some vets dont move a finger when an animal doesnt have an owner but others will take the hurt animal in, do the surgery and then contact the KWS to come and pick the animal up for a recovery at their venue. I usually state to any vet that i will cover the cost privately, sometimes KWS helps 50% if its a rare and protected animal but if the bill is going to be huge the vet may simply put the animal to sleep. Thats a common and sad outcome but i guess better than just leaving it on the side of the road in pain.

KWS can provide either an experienced voluneer or special traps to capture the suffering fox so then its easier to bring it to the vet this way. It will get an injection, go limp and this way they can examine it fully. You should never try to capture a fox on your own.
    Always call a vet before bringing an animal there, you may learn that they dont accept wildlife so try another. I wish we had a list of those vet clinics that help any creature, with or without their owners.

Advertisement