Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Living in loughshinny

• 14-06-2020 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Wife and myself were house hunting NCD area and Loughshinny came up as a possibility. A local lad mentioned a house down by the car park might be going up for sale in the near future. He was saying the area is pretty decent. Took a spin out there during the fine weather last week and the place was lovely but packed.

Anyone here have any experience living there. What's it like for kids etc...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's a nice spot alright....I've sent a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's no shop afaik

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's a beautiful little place, and seems to have a great community spirit. You'd have to travel to Rush or Skerries for groceries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I know the house you're looking at. Its a lovely area, extremely picturesque. However it has it's drawbacks, you'll have to drive or cycle to the shop in rush or skerries, on a sunny day you'll be tormented by day trippers, I've seen people stuck in their cars for over 20 minutes trying to get back up the road as it's a cul de sac.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Fr. Pat Noise

Small place but has a drugs problem. Think carefully before buying there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 twaddle21

Hi, sorry to revive an old thread. I am also looking to move to Loughshinny and am doing some research on the area. Interested in any local knowledge of the area anyone may have. We are a young family, so things like schools and safety are the main priorities

Additionally is the drug problem Fr. Pat Noise mentioned something anyone else has come across? Or is it any different than what i imagine a lot of areas around ireland are like?
    Small place but has a drugs problem. Think carefully before buying there.

Appreciate any information people have on the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I don't live there but I've visited. Quiet seems the best description, but it is a nice seaside town

You'll need your car for just about everything, I don't know of any schools there so you'll be driving the kids to school every day as well as driving for groceries, etc.

If you're happy with that then it's grand

Regarding safety, the main road going through it seems to get a fair bit of traffic going from Skerries to Rush. It's not exactly the kind of place that kids can play on the street

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭POBox19

Lovely spot, but quite isolated.
    As mentioned you'll need transport for everything from either Rush (Tesco) or Skerries (SuperValu). A quick run to the shops will take 30 minutes minimum. There is a National School for the younger children, after that you're on the school run. Unless you have a teetotal driver a night out needs to factor in a taxi for getting home.
    If you are commuting into Dublin plan on 6:30-7:00 am starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gandalfio

POBox19 wrote: »
    Lovely spot, but quite isolated.
    As mentioned you'll need transport for everything from either Rush (Tesco) or Skerries (SuperValu). A quick run to the shops will take 30 minutes minimum. There is a National School for the younger children, after that you're on the school run. Unless you have a teetotal driver a night out needs to factor in a taxi for getting home.
    If you are commuting into Dublin plan on 6:30-7:00 am starts.

Why such an early start for the commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭POBox19

gandalfio wrote: »
    Why such an early start for the commute?

Traffic starts piling up on the M1 very early, sometimes Lusk and Blake's Cross can be a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Traffic starts piling up on the M1 very early, sometimes Lusk and Blake's Cross can be a nightmare.

There's always the train depending on where you work in town, just go to Rush and Lusk Train Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's a lovely spot - I'd love to live there.
    ... it is a nice seaside town
    Town?? It's not even a village!
    You'll need your car for just about everything,
    Public transport and cycling are other options. No need to be so car-centric.
    I don't know of any schools there
    St Brendan's National School. (My daughter attended there).
    Regarding safety, the main road going through it seems to get a fair bit of traffic going from Skerries to Rush.
    Traffic going from Skerries to Rush wouldn't be diverting through Loughshinny.

Inquitus wrote: »
    There's always the train depending on where you work in town, just go to Rush and Lusk Train Station.
    Skerries station is probably closer and easier to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Does it pile up from the M1 onto the R132 to Blake's Cross and into Lusk?

gandalfio wrote: »
    Does it pile up from the M1 onto the R132 to Blake's Cross and into Lusk?
    Unless there's an incident of some sort I've rarely seen it back up any further than the Circle K filling station at Lanistown.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Did that small stone cottage that is right there overlooking the beach in Loughshinney ever get done up? Was lying unused for a good few years but its a long time since Ive been out that way.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Did that small stone cottage that is right there overlooking the beach in Loughshinney ever get done up? Was lying unused for a good few years but its a long time since Ive been out that way.
    The one with the thatched roof? If so, that's been done up for some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think it's still the same. I always presumed that was a shed.

ah right. It seems to have a chimney so Im guessing it was lived in at some stage. It is very small but the view of the beach, cliffs and Martello tower on the other side of it is superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 kpotatoe111

Hi, Aware it’s a bit late. I’ve lived in loughshinny my whole life, went to the primary school and my brother went to play school also. It is a great community and I have never experienced any “drug” related issues or problems. It is extremely safe and i ament just saying that for the craic ever since I was younger my parents would never bat an eyelid letting me walk to school and back or stay out late, today I’m older more aware to dodgy areas or any unsafe feeling and i have never felt it once. there is plenty of children in the area with a very welcoming primary school that gave me the best years of my life and the beach is phenomenal, again it’s very safe no extreme currents and the harbour is great to jump from although you need to cycle or drive to the shops but has never bothered us much! I hope this helps and gets a point of view from a person who’s lived there before

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kpotatoe111

Hi, I’ve left a comment in this discussion before in abit more detail but honestly it is extremely safe and I lived a very great childhood attending the schools close by, immediately there’s push factors for many for example no shops . To me and my family that has never bothered us,loughshinny is a blessing to live in its very safe, never gave us moment of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 loughshinnylocal

It’s very isolated, no shop for 4km. Extremely busy with traffic in mornings and afternoons from parents leaving kids to the school and crèche. No community. No infrastructure. It’s a glorified cul de sac. The village of twitching curtains ! Locals think it’s their own turf and don’t want anyone on it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Most Loughshinny residents that I know live living there. Yeah, it lacks facilities, but makes up for it in many other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Ive cousins who live there. Always loved visiting them in the summer. I would have no problem living there. Its the very definition of an Appalachian "holler" :) but down by the sea, not in a valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

Anyone above considering the move take the plunge?

Advertisement